1723Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: APRS-IS Rx-only iGate with rtl dongle

  • Kristoff Bonne
    May 19, 2013
      Hi,

      I have it running now on a pogoplug reflashed with archlinux(arm). It runs about 15 to 20 % but that does not really surprise me as the ARM11 in that box does not have a FPU so all DSP code probably runs in a simulated FPU.

      Question,
      Has anybody used this setup successfully to receive the ISS. I left it running listening on 145.825 last night while they where supposted to be 3 passes of the ISS overhead but I did not capture anything.
      What antenna did you use? (all antenna's I have are for 50 ohm). I did try with a folded dipole but it is probably more tuned for the FM band (3 meter) so not that well suited for 2 meter.

      73
      kristoff - ON1ARF

      On 17-05-13 08:19, marco.kubon wrote:

      Hi Alex,

      my Pi is running with the 900 MHz setting. The rtl_fm process is running with aroung 15% usage, multimonNG needs around 2% and pymultimonaprs around 1%. Also a satellite tracker (carpcomm.com) and a house automation control (fhem.de) is running on that Pi and the load average is only around 0,6. So the device is powerfull enough and quite amazing.

      The decoding of the signal depends an the antenne and on the type of rtl device. I've an old Teratec device with fc0012 tuner wich is very deaf. The newer Teratec Cinergy TStick RC with E4000 tuner has a good reception, although I'm using a wideband discone antenna. One time I received a cubesat with a 11 element cross yagi.

      Regards
      Marco

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex@...> wrote:

      > Interesting. I was under the impression the RasPi didn't have the CPU power needed to decode an RTL-SDR stream. How's the performance? Does it do ok with weaker signals?
      >
      > -Alex
      >
      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > Dominik Heidler, the origin author of the pymultimonaprs software,
      > <snip>

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic