1702Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] framework for self-starting ham application images on Raspberry pi

    May 14 4:47 PM
      Nothing wrong with using off the shelf and piecing things together, especially for experimenting....

      When I read your 1st posting I thought you were looking for ideas for an IDEAL system platform.

      Windows/DOS has some difficulties when it comes to unsupported partitions. It might work on newer
      versions like 7.

      Note also that the Raspbian & Fedora Remix 18 images once written to the sdcard fail gparted disk
      check on the 1st partition (FAT16), and I haven't found a way to fix it either and still have it
      boot & mount the partitions.

      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

      On 5/14/13 5:35 PM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

      > Jim,
      >

      > I know this is a question of taste, but I personally prefer using off-the-shelf components.
      >
      > They are not perfect but they have 4 big advantages:
      > - they are easy to find (no "single source" issue as we have had on a number of other ham projects)
      > - they are cheap
      > - there is a lot of support for them
      > - they are reusable. If you bought a Pi for a ham project and you are not interested anymore; you
      > can still reuse it as a XBMC mediaplayer (or whatever).
      >

      > Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Pi is perfect. It's not.
      > And I do not have anything against designing home-build systems.
      >

      > But, ... they are there and they get the job done.
      >

      > BTW. Concerning your remark on the VFAT partition. I wasn't aware of that.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > But you are also correct there is more then sufficient place on the boot partition (i.e. the first
      > partition of the SDcard): 38 Mbyte That should be enough to store a couple of config-files.
      > I did like your idea to put the configuration on a USB flashdrive. This would also provide
      > sufficient space for the application to dump its logfiles.
      >

      > 73
      > Kristoff - ON1ARF
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic