1693Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: framework for self-starting ham application images on Raspberry pi

  • Kerry McKenzie
    May 14 11:03 AM
      Hi Jim
      yes I'm an expert with setups ;-)) and have re burned so many images
      from scratch, and have five 8gig cards and five raspberry pies for the
      purpose.
      I can even compare files between one pi and the next and have 2 monitors
      and keyboards etc setup opposite one another so I can compare screens.
      So i can get a Pi going no problem there,.. and can ssh or xrdp into it
      from all my windoze boxes without a problem. I just cannot use the
      bloody things for what i want ie ham radio stuff.

      My web server is current appache and is running in an xp enviroment and
      shares the windows fbb bbs.

      I have setup an owncloud headless PI as it was the only prepared image
      that i could find on the web,... but cannot see it from the outside
      although i have made the ports accessible via my router however i can
      http into it from within my network and upload file and create folders
      etc, and even setup users.
      But it does not exist where i need it on the outside, and because linux
      scatters files all over the place makes it very difficult once again to
      fault find.

      Dont know if you know owncloud at all but it runs the free sql edition
      and apache and it is I would imagine just a matter of finding appache
      and configuring it to see the outside via my vk4tub.no-ip.org account.
      I have a friend in Canada who is also helping with a version of fbb that
      he setup for me and I am trying to find my way around that right now as
      i have some forwarding issues with it.
      I am having difficulies with the fact that linux scatters files
      everywhere and you have to know the paths and where things are kept in
      order to fault find problems.
      None of my books cover this and hence many of my problems stem from the
      fact that i want to run radio projects and not games or programming as
      this is well covered in all the pie books I have.

      I am very disappointed with the fact that these are advertised as
      learning tools for school children and one automatically assumes that
      they will be a simple thing to use.
      Misleading for a beginner like myself and also I have not successfully
      got anything to actually work on the pi myself and still nothing after 5
      months which is pretty poor meaning I am either a total idiot or it is
      simply beyond the average person.
      If it wasn't for the fact that someone else kindly setup fbb for me i
      would have no hope, compiling all the stuff needed for the pie was a
      huge learning curve on its own and I had spent months trying.
      And while I am on it i have searched the web for countless hours looking
      for this magic repository where all these program's are available for
      the PI but have never yet found anywhere to download them or where it
      actually is.
      I have covered pie for beginners, the actual pie site itself and many
      other places but am lost as to actually where i can download this software.
      Apparently you can just type "apt-get" and it magically appears ,...but
      im aftraid the batteries in my magic wand must be flat ;-)) as i cannot
      get a dam thing?

      So Jim right now after all this time I, and effort will except help from
      absolutely anyone, and in the end i hope that one day it would be nice
      to actually get something to a work myself on one of these god dam
      cursed boxes.
      As I can see the day coming very soon where the whole lot will become
      wheel chocks for my car.

      So thank you sincerely for your offer and i will gladly take you up on
      that, i will go and check the link you have provided and thank you
      again.......Kerry

      --
      Kind Regards
      Kerry McKenzie