1586Re: RasPi APRS tracker?

  • Alex
    Apr 30, 2013
      Xastir is a little overkill for what I was planning. Don't get me wrong, it's a great software. But for this project, I was basically aiming for a TinyTrak or OpenTracker replacement with some neat new features made possible by the RasPi board. Not something with a graphical interface.

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Mathison Ott <mathisono@...> wrote:

      > Alex I would pref to load install the software my self. Hi Hi.
      >
      > If you are going to make an image, let xastir be the program that ships,
      > Ive been using it for a +2years now, Ive set the maps up 2 or 3 times. I
      > say the only stressful thing was down loading the maps from a "slow" server
      > in DC! I had trouble pulling maps a few weeks ago... LARGE map file and the
      > servers are often unreliable. Dose any one care to share a map that they
      > like!? Its a lot to Pull detailed county/city maps for the whole USA, so
      > im looking for a good road map. The Wiki dose have the info to find the
      > maps and install them (xastir software updates have fixed that problem) A
      > Map discussion could cut thou the noise...
      >
      > Im only referring to the Argent Data System Radio box as an example. Ive
      > had the idea that computer AI could respond to APRS or PSK for a bit. This
      > could be the First making it not just another APRS program. For the RPi
      > to interpolate sound KISS & TNC & TCP into GPIO and or execute scripting.
      > IF the code could supports sound kiss decoding/encoding of PSK COOL!
      >
      > We might be able to cut down on the work by using "dire wolf"
      >

      > 73 kj6dzb Mathison

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic