1576Re: RasPi APRS tracker?

  • bob_g3wkw
    Apr 29, 2013
      Agreed that the apt-get was straightforward and the "worldhi" map gets you to country outlines. The problem I found was using the OSM tiles and cacheing did not seem to work making scroll and zoom very slow and mobile use impractical. The build was from last July so I wanted to get a later version as this seemed to be bugged a bit. I had some success with the APRSdos maps but they are not pretty or streetlevel. My tarballed install would not support DBFAWK so my Shapefile map was monochrome and unreadable. The CVS install I finally got most of the dependencies for a full install and now trying to tweak a DBFAWK to match my Shapefile. 95% OK but becoming unusably slow to scroll and zoom. Hence my comments about limiting the use of the sophisticated mapping features. But I have found both soundmodem and Direwolf to work reliably and use about 15% of CPU. http://home.comcast.net/~wb2osz/site/ Direwolf is in current development and has the feature of displaying packets in the console window. It also comes with Raspberry Pi specific installation instructions.

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Clayton Brantley <clayton_n4ev@...> wrote:

      > Bob:  The install was not that hard.  Took me a bit to save the settings, but it just worked.  The TNC-X
      > simply plugs onto the Pi header and eliminated the interfacing.  I just did a ' sudo apt-get install xastir '
      > and watched.   The map is world wide and you just zoom in to your area and tell it to make your station
      > the center.  Takes just a few minutes to be on the air with it.
      >
      > I'm not familiar with Direwolf so can't comment on that and have not tried a soundmodem on the Pi
      > either.
      >
      > Good luck with your efforts
      > Clayton N4EV

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic