      From: bob_g3wkw <bob.thornton@...>
      To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:26 AM
      Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: RasPi APRS tracker?

      What does the "piggy-back" TNC-X do that cannot be achieved with either soundmodem or DireWolf? I did hover over the purchase button once but having got both soundmodem and direwolf to work I hesitated. I am sure you are right about xastir providing you can be disciplined about using its mapping features which are great when properly configured, but take a bit of work and understanding to configure nicely. Perhaps xastir has grown a bit too complex for most users needs. A good install is quite a challenge, I did the Debian package first, then progressed to a tarball and now have the CVS latest built. Perhaps mapping is easier to crack in the US but I need to slice and dice my shapefile a bit. So probably there is a niche for a lightweight installation. Perhaps what Alex has developed will integrate nicely with direwolf to give a simple message and beacon application.

      Bob

      G3WKW

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Clayton Brantley <clayton_n4ev@...> wrote:

      > Easy way to do this is with the piggy-back TNC-X made for the Pi.
      > I'm using Xastir on mine and works great!
      >
      > Clayton N4EV

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic