Heh, well, I intended Torvalds' remark as a bit of a joke, on a par with Groucho Marx's: "As a matter of principle, I refuse to join any club which wouldwarren_d_smith31
I don't know of any union in the US that advocates torture nor aggressive war. On the other hand, neither do the Greens and I suppose Torvalds's "any of them"william_waugh_33
I've been an American citizen all my life, and I have no problem associating with a political party. We can't just wave a magic wand and expect the playingcjtelesca
(a) Each vote consists of assigning a point value from 0 to 99 to each candidate (for example, 30 points for candidate A, 64 for B etc.)
The voter might give her favorite candidate a 99 and her least-favorite zero.
(b) If a voter desires to express no opinion about any particular candidate, she may assign an X instead of a point value, indicating
(c) A candidate's "total score" is the average of all his
non-blank scores (average = sum of points voters cast
for that candidate divided by the number of voters
who did not vote an X for him).
(d) Candidate with highest average wins.
(e) Candidates with too few non-X votes (even though they might have high scores) are not permitted to win.
Range voting has properties superior to other single-winner voting systems:
2) Encourages voter honesty instead of strategy;
3) Can be done on plurality-type
"dumb" voting machines;
4) Unaffected by
5) Best by test in computer simulation experiments measuring
of different voting systems;
6) Reduces spoiled ballots and 2-party domination.
For more information please go to the
Center for Range Voting.
This bulletin board is the CRV's communication medium. WARNING: for many purposes,
we now are trying to MIGRATE to the election science foundation
(Also try clicking "links" or text-searching our archive.)
- Aug 3, 2005
- This is a restricted group.
- Attachments are not permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership requires approval.
- Messages are not moderated.
- All members can post messages.