The "gerry index"

  • warren_d_smith31
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2006
      http://www.dailysonic.com/gerrymander/index.php

      gives a measure of how gerrymandered different districts are.
      (we mathematicians call this the "isoperimetric ratio").
      The index is always at least 1. For a circle it is 1.
      For a highly gerrymandered shape, it is large; they claim 2 to 2.5 is
      "suspect" and above 2.5 is definitely gerrymandered.

      You can click on a gizmo to find out the gerry index
      and get a map of any US congressional district.

      Unfortunately I am somewhat suspicious of their numbers because
      for many shapes such as coastlines, the more finely you measure it, the longer
      the boundary curve gets. A coastline has tiny wiggles
      which you see when measuring with a 1-meter-long ruler, but
      not when measuring with a mile-long-rod. I believe that many
      of the worst congressional districts would also have that "fractal"
      property.