Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [RangeVoting] quantum computer solvable? (Re: How DigiCash blew everything)

Expand Messages
  • Raph Frank
    ... Are the North Korean counterfeiters printing out of date dollar bills? I think it is only the US that doesn t do bill expiry. In other countries, old
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
      On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:17 AM, warren_d_smith31 <wds@...> wrote:
      > --that's an interesting idea, which however does not exactly make me happy.
      > And by the way, why don't governments printing ordinary paper money put
      > expire dates
      > on their bills, and that'd stop those nasty North Korean counterfeiters?
      > Well, they just won't do it, no mater how good an idea it objectively is.

      Are the North Korean counterfeiters printing out of date dollar bills?

      I think it is only the US that doesn't do bill expiry. In other
      countries, old notes go through the following stages.

      still legal tender -> only banks accept them -> only the central bank
      accepts them (though maybe not to full expiry)

      This was certainly the process when the Euro was introduced, but that
      was a somewhat unique event.

      Anyway, I think the reason not to expire is that it allows people in
      other countries to use the dollar. If you expired the bills, then
      they would have to move their money back to the US and get new bills
      every few years. With digital cash, this isn't as big an issue, you
      can refresh your money using the internet.
    • brokenladdercalendar
      ... put expire dates ... objectively is. what good would that do?
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "warren_d_smith31" <wds@...> wrote:
        > And by the way, why don't governments printing ordinary paper money
        put expire dates
        > on their bills, and that'd stop those nasty North Korean counterfeiters?
        > Well, they just won't do it, no mater how good an idea it
        objectively is.

        what good would that do?
      • warren_d_smith31
        ... --well, you just put expire dates on bills and change the bill design all the time. The N Koreans hopefully take some time to develop their counterfeit
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "brokenladdercalendar" <thebrokenladder@...>
          wrote:
          >
          > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "warren_d_smith31" <wds@> wrote:
          > > And by the way, why don't governments printing ordinary paper money
          > put expire dates
          > > on their bills, and that'd stop those nasty North Korean counterfeiters?
          > > Well, they just won't do it, no mater how good an idea it
          > objectively is.
          >
          > what good would that do?

          --well, you just put expire dates on bills and change the bill design all the time.
          The N Koreans hopefully take some time to develop their counterfeit bills.
          By the time they have succeeded, those bills have expired so their work
          was useless.
        • brokenladdercalendar
          i can t imagine it taking more than a couple of days for a team with the resources of a government behind it to counterfeit the new bills. ...
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
            i can't imagine it taking more than a couple of days for a team with
            the resources of a government behind it to counterfeit the new bills.

            --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "warren_d_smith31" <wds@...> wrote:
            >
            > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "brokenladdercalendar"
            <thebrokenladder@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "warren_d_smith31" <wds@> wrote:
            > > > And by the way, why don't governments printing ordinary paper money
            > > put expire dates
            > > > on their bills, and that'd stop those nasty North Korean
            counterfeiters?
            > > > Well, they just won't do it, no mater how good an idea it
            > > objectively is.
            > >
            > > what good would that do?
            >
            > --well, you just put expire dates on bills and change the bill
            design all the time.
            > The N Koreans hopefully take some time to develop their counterfeit
            bills.
            > By the time they have succeeded, those bills have expired so their work
            > was useless.
            >
          • brokenladdercalendar
            dunno whether this is at all relevant but... Aram Harrow and colleagues have just published on the arXiv a quantum algorithm for solving systems of linear
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2008
              dunno whether this is at all relevant but...

              "Aram Harrow and colleagues have just published on the arXiv a quantum
              algorithm for solving systems of linear equations (paper, PDF). Until
              now, the only quantum algorithms of practical consequence have been
              Shor's algorithm for prime factoring, and Feynman-inspired quantum
              simulation algorithms. All other algorithms either solve problems with
              no known practical applications, or produce only a polynomial speedup
              versus classical algorithms. Harrow et. al.'s algorithm provides an
              exponential speedup over the best-known classical algorithms. Since
              solving linear equations is such a common task in computational
              science and engineering, this algorithm makes many more important
              problems that currently use thousands of hours of CPU time on
              supercomputers amenable to significant quantum speedup."

              http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08%2F12%2F05%2F1446205
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.