Wikification!!

  • warren_d_smith31
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      Rick Carback has now installed wiki software on the CRV website which is an
      excellent contribution, except we need to figure out how to use it and what to do with it.
      We want to make the site world-editable but at the same time vandal-proof and
      without sacrificing aesthetic quality and without making everything nonportable in case
      someday we have to move it all elsewhere.

      This should be a big improvement for CRV (except I haven't been able to do anything
      for a while since buried nose deep in this blasted paper).

      To get started on his wiki stuff, do what Rick Carback said:
      ---------------------------------------
      See: http://scorevoting.net/wiki/index.php

      We should definitely have it set up and moving before we switch it to be
      the/a main accessible page.

      I don't have time to sit and play with the organization and other stuff, but
      I can fix bugs that might come up and edit pages occasionally. I'm hoping
      someone else can get it going and handle the day-to-day operation.

      Good places to start on how to use a wiki:

      http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ#Basic_usage

      and

      http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ#Changing_the_interface

      If you sign up, you can watch pages for vandalism, and administrators can
      "protect" pages from being edited by users not in the correct groups. I
      expect most pages to end up protected, or at least watched once they have
      been finalized.

      I haven't added extensions or any of the more interesting Wikipedia-type
      template features, but I hope to do that later. If you try something and it
      doesn't work, but it does work on Wikipedia, let me know and I'll see about
      getting that piece installed.

      --Rick Carback
    • Bruce R. Gilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
        --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "warren_d_smith31" <wds@...> wrote:

        > Rick Carback has now installed wiki software on the CRV website
        > which is an excellent contribution, except we need to figure out
        > We want to make the site world-editable but at the same time vandal-
        > proof and how to use it and what to do with it.

        You have set up two conflicting goals: "world-editable but at the same
        time vandal-proof."

        Wikipedia is anything but vandal-proof; the only thing that saves it
        from the effects of vandals is constant patrolling by people who have
        served as volunteers to revert any vandalized pages they find. The only
        way to vandal-proof the site is to protect every page; then it will
        certainly not be "world-editable." You will need to strike a balabce
        between these two goals.

        I will say that I have a lot of experience with Wikipedia; I've made
        over 20,000 edits on it over a period of more than 5 years. So I think
        I'm as familiar with this Wiki process as anyone on this list, and I
        can certainly answer any questions anyone has about hw to edit it. So
        if I can help, I'll certainly do so.
      • Rick Carback
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
          Thanks Bruce. I haven't really done any wikipedia editing myself, so your
          knowledge is going to be invaluable.

          -R

          On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Bruce R. Gilson <brgster@...> wrote:

          > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com <RangeVoting%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "warren_d_smith31" <wds@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Rick Carback has now installed wiki software on the CRV website
          > > which is an excellent contribution, except we need to figure out
          > > We want to make the site world-editable but at the same time vandal-
          > > proof and how to use it and what to do with it.
          >
          > You have set up two conflicting goals: "world-editable but at the same
          > time vandal-proof."
          >
          > Wikipedia is anything but vandal-proof; the only thing that saves it
          > from the effects of vandals is constant patrolling by people who have
          > served as volunteers to revert any vandalized pages they find. The only
          > way to vandal-proof the site is to protect every page; then it will
          > certainly not be "world-editable." You will need to strike a balabce
          > between these two goals.
          >
          > I will say that I have a lot of experience with Wikipedia; I've made
          > over 20,000 edits on it over a period of more than 5 years. So I think
          > I'm as familiar with this Wiki process as anyone on this list, and I
          > can certainly answer any questions anyone has about hw to edit it. So
          > if I can help, I'll certainly do so.

        • raphfrk
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
            --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brgster@...> wrote:
            > You have set up two conflicting goals: "world-editable but at the
            > same time vandal-proof."

            I am not sure how good people are with editing the php source files.
            However, there was a suggestion (by me :) ) on the election methods
            list about having a wiki that doesn't default to the latest page.

            This was in the context of a delegable proxy system where each user
            had their own proposal for a bill that was under discussion. However,
            I think a similar idea could work here.

            In effect, anyone can edit a page. However, the 'current' page
            doesn't point at the latest edit. It points at the last approved edit.

            Admins would be able to approve a page and then that becomes the
            latest official version of the page.

            This lets people submit changes, but still allows 'editorial' controls.

            For less workload, the pages might be divided as

            - open
            Anyone can edit, standard wiki page

            - moderated
            Anyone can edit, but current page only changes by mod approval

            - protected
            Only mods can edit

            I am not sure if protected would even be needed.
          • brokenladdercalendar
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
              well, you can't really "vandalize" a versioned system. bad edits can
              always be reverted by admins.

              --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brgster@...> wrote:

              > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "warren_d_smith31" <wds@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Rick Carback has now installed wiki software on the CRV website
              > > which is an excellent contribution, except we need to figure out
              > > We want to make the site world-editable but at the same time vandal-
              > > proof and how to use it and what to do with it.
              >
              > You have set up two conflicting goals: "world-editable but at the same
              > time vandal-proof."
              >
              > Wikipedia is anything but vandal-proof; the only thing that saves it
              > from the effects of vandals is constant patrolling by people who have
              > served as volunteers to revert any vandalized pages they find. The only
              > way to vandal-proof the site is to protect every page; then it will
              > certainly not be "world-editable." You will need to strike a balabce
              > between these two goals.
              >
              > I will say that I have a lot of experience with Wikipedia; I've made
              > over 20,000 edits on it over a period of more than 5 years. So I think
              > I'm as familiar with this Wiki process as anyone on this list, and I
              > can certainly answer any questions anyone has about hw to edit it. So
              > if I can help, I'll certainly do so.

            • Dylan Hirsch-Shell
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                Some wikis require users to register before being allowed to edit pages.
                Why not do this? To tackle the problem of oversight, CRV could use the
                Scholarpedia.org model of assigning a "curator" to each page. These
                approaches would solve the problem of casual vandals without creating a
                terribly onerous barrier to participation.

                > > > We want to make the site world-editable but at the same time vandal-
                > > > proof and how to use it and what to do with it.
                > >
                > > You have set up two conflicting goals: "world-editable but at the same
                > > time vandal-proof."
                > >
                > > Wikipedia is anything but vandal-proof; the only thing that saves it
                > > from the effects of vandals is constant patrolling by people who have
                > > served as volunteers to revert any vandalized pages they find. The only
                > > way to vandal-proof the site is to protect every page; then it will
                > > certainly not be "world-editable." You will need to strike a balabce
                > > between these two goals.

              • raphfrk
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                  --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "brokenladdercalendar"
                  <thebrokenladder@...> wrote:

                  > well, you can't really "vandalize" a versioned system. bad edits can
                  > always be reverted by admins.

                  The problem is that with things like bots, you need a reasonable flow
                  of users or else the bots will be vandalising faster than they are
                  reverting.

                  If a user has to revert on 90% of the pages they visit, then the site
                  looks bad/unprofessional.