VotePoll: Re: Any opinions on how to deal with new nominations?

  • MIKE OSSIPOFF
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      Warren--

      You wrote:

      with range voting as implemented on yahoo,
      it is trivial to add new options to an RV election,
      you just add a new option (each one is
      a yahoo plurality poll).

      I reply:

      Yes, but what if it's an Approval poll, and it all is at one poll? Should I
      edit the poll to add the new nominations, thereby deleting the
      results-display? Or should I have a separate new poll for taking votes among
      all the alternatives, including the new one, so that the old results-display
      won't be deleted? Or just have a Plurality poll for each newly-nominated
      alternative, where someone could vote on whether or not they want to give an
      Approval vote to that alternative?

      I'll call those solutions #1, #2, & #3.

      #2 seems better than #3, because someone wouldn't have to click on four
      separate polls to vote on the four newly-nominated alternatives.

      The choice between #1 and #2 seems to be a choice beween losing the
      results-display so far, versus making the newly-nominated alternatives
      difficult to find, at a separate question-announcement, at the end of the
      list of poll question announcements, not adjacent to the poll that it
      augments.

      #2 seems the more conservative and cautious choice. Unless I hear any
      opinion one way or the other, I'll implement #2 tomorrow. But I request
      opinions on which of those 3 solutions (or some other one) is the best way