Re: [RangeVoting] VotePoll: A few comments on the polls

  • Abd ulRahman Lomax
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      At 01:24 AM 10/1/2005, Jan Kok wrote:
      >6. RV101(kludge)
      >Use an approval ballot with the following choices:
      >0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100
      >Voters are requested to be nice to the poll taker and not click more
      >selections than necessary to express their vote. If the selected
      >numbers add up to >100, the rating is adjusted to count as 100.

      There is no need, with a relatively sophisticated population of
      voters, to have so many choices. If you must have granularity 99, why
      not the following choices:
      64,32,16,8,4,2,1.

      As to the poll taker, summing the votes is no more difficult with
      binary than as many decimal slots, and it is easier than decimal for
      the same granularity. In Range, the individual ballots are not
      necessarily counted, just the sums. There is no need to compile
      individual scores.

      Frankly, I'd reserve 64 for an approval cutoff, being considered the
      minimum Approval score. Scores below that do indicate a kind of
      preference, but a preference in rejection.

      As to how to vote for more than one candidate on a ballot, one can
      present multiple candidates as options.

      Candidate A, 64:
      Candidate A, 32:
      Candidate A, 2:
      Candidate A, 1:
      Candidate B, 64:
      Candidate B, 32:
      etc.

      Yahoogroups allows 25 options in a single poll.

      I recommend experimenting with coarser granularity. A 5-option poll
      can thus be run Range with granularity 32, which is really
      vanishingly close to fine-grained. If you must have granularity >=
      100 (why?), then you need 7 slots and you can have three options in a
      single poll.

      Another method would be to use two poll questions, one for positive
      ratings and one for negative. Effectively, the 64-bit would be
      expressed by which poll you answered on. It's pretty easy, in a
      browser, to have more than one poll open, so you could really do both
      at the same time.
    • Markus Schulze
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        Dear Mike Ossipoff,

        you wrote (1 Oct 2005):

        > Markus Schulze voted for BeatpathWinner in the current
        > poll. As much as I'd like to count Markus's vote,
        > because he voted for something that I like, I don't
        > know if Markus advocates RV. If he doesn't, then
        > I don't know if I have a right to count Markus's
        > BeatpathWinner vote in a poll on how to vote in
        > an RV advocacy organization.

        If you want to exclude all those people from the polls
        who have somewhen somewhere cast a preference for some
        other election method, then, of course, you have to
        exclude almost everybody.

        Markus Schulze