Re: [RangeVoting] VotePoll: A few comments on the polls

  • Jan Kok
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      On 9/30/05, MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp@...> wrote:

      > That makes five ways of approximating or implementing 0 to 100 RV, given the
      > current circumstances:
      >
      > 1. RV25 (0, 4, 8, 12, ...96)
      > 2. RV26 (Default 0 and 4, 8, 12, ...100)
      > 3. RV100 (Four 25-slot ranges)
      > 4. RV101 (Default 0 and four 25-slot ranges)
      > 5. RV101(Voted at the mailing list, to conveniently implement it)

      I'd like to nominate another, because I like fine-grained RV, and I
      think it's clunky to have multiple polls for one candidate.

      6. RV101(kludge)
      Use an approval ballot with the following choices:
      0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100
      Voters are requested to be nice to the poll taker and not click more
      selections than necessary to express their vote. If the selected
      numbers add up to >100, the rating is adjusted to count as 100.

      Cheers,
      - Jan

      P.S. There are lots of other schemes that could be proposed, but I'm
      not nominating them:

      * Two plurality polls for each candidate, with choices 0,10,20...100
      for the first poll and 0,1,...9 for the second. If you don't want to
      check for votes >100, eliminate the 100 and make it RV100.

      * One plurality poll per candidate, with choices
      0,1,2,3,4,5,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,95,96,97,98,99,100
      This would accomodate voters who only want fine-grainedness at the
      ends of the range.
    • Abd ulRahman Lomax
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        At 01:24 AM 10/1/2005, Jan Kok wrote:
        >6. RV101(kludge)
        >Use an approval ballot with the following choices:
        >0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100
        >Voters are requested to be nice to the poll taker and not click more
        >selections than necessary to express their vote. If the selected
        >numbers add up to >100, the rating is adjusted to count as 100.

        There is no need, with a relatively sophisticated population of
        voters, to have so many choices. If you must have granularity 99, why
        not the following choices:
        64,32,16,8,4,2,1.

        As to the poll taker, summing the votes is no more difficult with
        binary than as many decimal slots, and it is easier than decimal for
        the same granularity. In Range, the individual ballots are not
        necessarily counted, just the sums. There is no need to compile
        individual scores.

        Frankly, I'd reserve 64 for an approval cutoff, being considered the
        minimum Approval score. Scores below that do indicate a kind of
        preference, but a preference in rejection.

        As to how to vote for more than one candidate on a ballot, one can
        present multiple candidates as options.

        Candidate A, 64:
        Candidate A, 32:
        Candidate A, 2:
        Candidate A, 1:
        Candidate B, 64:
        Candidate B, 32:
        etc.

        Yahoogroups allows 25 options in a single poll.

        I recommend experimenting with coarser granularity. A 5-option poll
        can thus be run Range with granularity 32, which is really
        vanishingly close to fine-grained. If you must have granularity >=
        100 (why?), then you need 7 slots and you can have three options in a
        single poll.

        Another method would be to use two poll questions, one for positive
        ratings and one for negative. Effectively, the 64-bit would be
        expressed by which poll you answered on. It's pretty easy, in a
        browser, to have more than one poll open, so you could really do both
        at the same time.
      • Markus Schulze
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
          Dear Mike Ossipoff,

          you wrote (1 Oct 2005):

          > Markus Schulze voted for BeatpathWinner in the current
          > poll. As much as I'd like to count Markus's vote,
          > because he voted for something that I like, I don't
          > know if Markus advocates RV. If he doesn't, then
          > I don't know if I have a right to count Markus's
          > BeatpathWinner vote in a poll on how to vote in
          > an RV advocacy organization.

          If you want to exclude all those people from the polls
          who have somewhen somewhere cast a preference for some
          other election method, then, of course, you have to
          exclude almost everybody.

          Markus Schulze