Re: [RangeVoting] Getting the WHOLE Truth

  • Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
      At 01:35 AM 4/1/2007, Dave Ketchum wrote:
      >Too often promoters give us incomplete arguments. Often they see no need
      >to even stay close to the truth but, even if they do stick to truth, as
      >will the two examples I offer, incompleteness can lead to dangerous decisions.

      Yes, the "dihydrogen monoxide" screed is the reductio ad absurdem of
      advocacy polemic. It is more difficult to parody the other side, the
      "hydrogen hydroxide" party. Often the sounder position, when viewed
      in the context of a debate, seems wimpy and weak. And thus we have
      people who support their opposition to Approval Voting, for example,
      because it will allegedly elect "weak" or "milquetoast" candidates.

      Okay, voters have a right to prefer "excitement" to stability and
      wisdom, but I'd just prefer to see voting systems that allow us to
      choose between them, instead of between two polarized polemics.
      Sometimes daring and thinking outside the box is needed, but more
      often the drama of politics is more about appearances and getting
      elected by drawing attention than about actual new ideas. New ideas,
      actually, can be boring.

      And if you were electing a doctor to perform surgery on you, would
      you choose one who was boringly competent or one who was ready to try
      the latest thing? First? On you? Depends, doesn't it?

      What if the "Right to Life" and the "Right to Choose" were two
      different names for the same essential principle? Just as the same
      coin has two opposite sides....

      Ketchum's post seems to have been intended for Peacenet, copied here
      to the Range Voting list, though the headers are a bit strange to me,
      it looks like it may have been bcc'd here. I have not copied to
      peacenet. If he thinks it relevant there, he can forward it. Consider
      Ketchum my proxy, pending further investigation, to peacenet. He can
      refuse, of course.
    • RM 'Auros' Harman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
        > Geeks in California, at The Marshmallow Peanut Circus

        A friend of mine used to live at that geekhaus in Santa Cruz, though she's
        now married and living in SF... It looks like the Circus may have lapsed,
        though -- their website is no longer registered...

        Auros