What about the range -100 to +100? [reply to email]

  • warren_d_smith31
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 7:35 AM
      The suggestion of the range -100 to +100 (allowing "yes" or "no")
      is equivalent to 0 to 100. In fact every range is
      EQUIVALENT to every other. You could use 754-to-982. It would be
      weird, but exactly the same winners (and same
      ordering of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd... place winners)
      would happen as with 0-to-99,
      assuming the voters rescaled their votes to the new range.

      The only reason I suggest 0-to-99 is we have to pick some
      concrete choice and it seems simpler. Some voters are confused by
      negative numbers and it is best to minimize confusion.
      (Although I admit I kind of enjoy the idea of a lot of
      candidates getting a NEGATIVE total vote... it probably would not increase
      the system's popularity among politicians. Imagine Kerry beating Bush
      by a score of -57 to -63...)