How should we recruit new members & get 3rd party endorsements?

  • warren_d_smith31
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 1, 2005
      We need to recruit many new members (I would like to get over 1000)
      and get endorsements of range voting from all the main US third parties
      and a lot of prominent-sounding people.

      The question is - how?
      Several strategies suggest themselves, your advice is requested about which
      one to use (or not) and/or other approaches.

      1. SPAMMING. Send emails to e.g., all the Green Party officials
      we can get email addresses of, saying IRV is bad for the Greens, Range Voting
      is good, endorse Range voting, etc. With some automated aid
      may be able to reach thousands this way (?). However, only a small
      percentage of them will respond.

      2. TARGETED RECRUITING. To get, e.g. Libertarian Presidential candidate,
      Micahel Badnarik to endorse RV, we recruit somebody closer to him,
      who recruits somebody closer to him, etc, until we have a direct
      friend of Badnarik's telling him that supporting IRV is idiotic for Libertarians
      (ad even supporting Approval Voting is idiotic) and they must endorse range voting
      since it would get them tremendously more votes. Problem is, this approahc
      takes time, it may be too long a chain of people is required, and
      recruitment targets usually do not get recruited.

      3. EXPONENTIAL GROWTH.
      Each member tries to recruit N new members, (where N=5 say) and
      in this way we grow exponentially. I think this is a good idea but
      I also think I do not have a critical mass yet. Once we have enough mebers
      and enough endorsements from important-sounding people, it becomes
      a lot harder to ignore us.

      4. DIRECT APPROACH. Try desperately and repeatedly to reach, e.g. Michael Badnarik
      directly by phone, and demand to talk to him for 1 hour to convince him.
      Seems probably impossible...

      5. OTHER IDEAS?
    • Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 27, 2005
        At 08:34 PM 9/22/2005, Abd ulRahman Lomax wrote:
        >NOTICE OF POLL CLOSING. The poll established as described in the
        >below-quoted mail will be closed on or after September 27, 2005.

        The poll has been closed. The result mail is quoted at the end of this mail.

        The vote being 2 YES and 3 NO, with four explicit abstentions, the
        motion fails.

        Note that the temporary chair, who also submitted the motion
        initially, abstained, per the rules.

        Except for objections regarding this process, motion to reconsider
        (which must be submitted by a person who initially voted NO), or
        other related process, please do not respond to this thread, it
        should be considered closed.

        If members desire to comment on this, it should be outside the MOTION thread.