RE: Yahoo screws up Yahoo Groups pages

  • warren_d_smith31
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013

       The new yahoogroups revision, which was suddenly implemented with no warning, is appallingly bad.

      I and apparently every other human being on yahoogrups unanimously, has screamed that it is horrible and we should at least have the option to stay with the old set up.

      The response to this outpouring by yahoo has been to simply ignore it plus send us all a happy happy email saying how glad we all are.  They never actually have a human respond to anybody.   I think all they care about is the vast new

      area of their pages they can cover with ads and total garbage (a picture of flags??

      seriously??) so they can shrink the actual content down to a few square inches.

      I think we have to move elsewhere and abandon yahoo.

      Anybody have suggestions where to go and what to do?

      --- In rangevoting@yahoogroups.com, <joycemccloy@...> wrote:

      I just discovered that Yahoo changed the cover pages for all of the yahoo groups that relate to voting issues.

      The new cover picture for these groups is a generic photo of flags.
      The group name is still there, but any group information or contact info is GONE!

      WTF Yahoo? YU want to suck like Google?

      So group admins, you may want to visit your group online and do some edits.
    • backfromthesilo

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 24, 2013

            A Look at Germany's Voting System

            BERLIN September 21, 2013 (AP)
            By The Associated Press

            Each of Germany's nearly 62 million eligible voters gets to make two crosses on the ballot paper in Sunday's parliamentary election -- one for a directly elected representative and the other for a party.

            Half of the seats in the lower house of parliament, or Bundestag, go to the directly elected lawmakers, one for each of the 299 constituencies. They are elected by a simple majority.

            The other 299 seats are allocated to candidates elected by party lists. The party vote is critical because it determines the percentage of seats each party wins in the lower house, which in turn selects the chancellor.

            To share in the division of seats, a party must win 5 percent of the second type of vote or have at least three directly elected lawmakers.

            However, if any one party wins more seats through the direct vote than it would be allotted under the distribution based on the party vote, the system allows that party to keep the extra seats.

            These extra seats, called "overhang" mandates, can bump up the number of lawmakers in parliament. The last election, in 2009, produced a parliament with 622 lawmakers rather than the minimum 598 -- with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative bloc picking up 24 extra seats that padded her center-right coalition's majority.

            In previous elections, it was possible for the extra seats to influence which coalition won power. That shouldn't be the case this time after the system was tweaked at the insistence of Germany's highest court -- so other parties will also get extra seats, ensuring that the makeup of Parliament matches their percentage of the vote.

            Once the votes have been counted, President Joachim Gauck will propose a chancellor to Parliament. That candidate needs to secure a majority of all lawmakers in the lower house to take office. If lawmakers fail to give a majority to one candidate in three tries, Gauck could appoint a minority government or dissolve Parliament.

            Parliament is elected for a four-year term.