Re: [RangeVoting] Re: pro pollsters do occasionally use negative numbers in scales

  • Michael Ellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2013
      On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM, WarrenS <wds@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > > I offer the speculation that, to whatever extent culture predisposes us
      > > associate negative numbers with the risk of pain, one might well expect
      > > different outcomes from surveys using -N to +N from otherwise identical
      > > surveys using 0 - 2N.
      >
      > --there is indeed poll-type evidence for this difference, though I don't
      > know
      > if it has anything to do with your neuronal theories...

      Yes. Seeing your earlier comments about that evidence was what reminded me
      of the neuro-chemical observations. That part seems like solid science.
      The speculative part is whether there are cultural associations with
      negative numbers that correlate with the poll evidence.

      > .

    • WarrenS
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2013
        Incidentally, notice what those pollsters were doing by
        providing a scale
        -5 to -1 and +1 to +5 with zero OMITTED.

        They were forcing the respondents not to use "0"
        which otherwise would have been a highly popular score.
        This idea seems to have been employed by many pollsters.