Re: [RangeVoting] Re: An election identical to its reversal, and consequences.

  • Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 23, 2013
      At 10:39 AM 3/23/2013, WarrenS wrote:

      >Ranking-based voting voting systems are a design mistake, in my
      >view, and this is one reason why.

      If equal ranking and skipped ranks are disallowed, I agree.

      Rather than a "mistake," I'd call it a limiting assumption that
      disallows a clear expression of preference strength; therefore the
      information adequate to begin to estimate the social utility winner is missing.

      Ranked methods that disallow equal ranking seem to do so based on the
      idea that it's easy for voters to make pairwise choices. That is
      something that can be a useful idea, but that fails, under common
      circumstances, if equal ranking is prohibited.

      Procedurally, voters can clearly rank some candidates over others,
      but not necessarily all.

      What is weird is that almost all systems allow equal-ranking bottom.
      So why not equal ranking at other ranks?

      A range ballot does express rankings, if the voter so chooses.
      Identical problem, in fact. Do you rate two candidates the same or do
      you make a choice, preferring one over the other. With some systems,
      strategic considerations will loom large.