election yesterday

  • WarrenS
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2013
      Voted for special election for Highway Commissioner yesterday.
      (The previous one fired after being on vacation for the biggest storm of the year, which
      was handled disastrously. The choice was between the son of a previous known-graft/corruption commissioner, and somebody else.)
      There were shenanigans with last-minute robo-call barrage of lies to make sure the media could not have any say about the lies. I think this election
      is likely to lead to a lot more graft, which my area unfortunately famous for.

      But speaking of graft, the actual election itself was, obviously, very low turnout.
      Nevertheless "by state law" a full complement of election workers were there, sitting
      around doing nothing while very few voters trickled in, I would say there were 10X more
      election workers than voters. Total waste, they could have handled it with
      1 or 2 workers only. Also, the incredibly stupid "improved" NY state ballots were used, which are enormous ballots on a huge sheet of extra-thick paper. In our case, the entire sheet was blank except for a tiny bit in the corner offering you a choice on the highway commissioner.
      You then fed the giant sheet into the machine, which said "have a nice day." (Did it
      count my vote? Who knows.)

      PS. The likely-graft guy appears to have won by a sliver.