Re: [RangeVoting] Atheist preacher? Related speculation

  • Dale Sheldon-Hess
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2012
      On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM, WarrenS <wds@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/magazine/from-bible-belt-pastor-to-atheist-leader.html>However, there is nothing necessarily preventing a non-religious person
      > from also having those same genes, hence experiencing similar emotional
      > phenomena, perhaps often inspired by nonreligious events. So if the idea is
      > to stimulate your altruism/sociality gene/emotions, thus causing anybody
      > (religious or not) to experience "religious" emotional effects, then there
      > could in principle exist an atheist pseudo"religion" getting whatever
      > emotional/altruistic/social group-benefits religions enjoy, but without the
      > irrationality and bad effects (jihad? racism? slavery? suppression of
      > science? torture & the inquisition? etc).
      >
      > And... that might be a good thing.

      I know a man who goes to church every Sunday, and who teaches the children
      at Sunday school... and who self-identifies as an atheist. He teaches the
      children moral lessons without invoking a god. The sense of community he
      gets from the church (it's Unitarian Universalist) and the belief that he
      is helping create a better future through what he teaches those children is
      what he "gets" out of it.

      So yes, I know such a thing is possible.

      --
      Dale Sheldon-Hess

    • Michael Ellis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2012
        Concerning Ayn Rand:

        �There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old�s life:
        The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that
        often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading
        to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with
        the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.�
        �John Rogers, screenwriter and author

        As to atheist preachers, I've been enjoying their sermons for decades from
        the choir loft in Unitarian Universalist churches.

        Cheers,
        Mike

      • WarrenS
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2012
          > As to atheist preachers, I've been enjoying their sermons for decades from
          > the choir loft in Unitarian Universalist churches.
          > Mike

          --oh, that's interesting. [Having googled "Unitarian Universalist"]
          This was not mentioned at all in the NY Times article.