Re: [RangeVoting] Re: Guardian: three interesting letters about IRV debate

  • Dale Sheldon-Hess
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21 5:43 PM
      On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM, jackrudd <jackkelshallrudd@...> wrote:
      > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "WarrenS" <wds@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Unfortunately I'm dubious of Murton's claim IRV would end 2-party domination.
      > >
      > He might be partially right, given the *specific* circumstances that apply in the UK; the Liberal Democrats, though quite clearly the third strongest party at the moment, are both (a) widely seen as the compromise choice - Labour and Conservative voters alike would tend to vote the LibDems above the other major party - and (b) a close second in enough constituencies that they'd stand a chance of winning some.

      Then, long term, we should still expect one of those three
      parties--the current major two and the LibDems--to shrivel away to
      irrelevancy.

      Having a third party this kind of success is rare and transient, both
      under the FPTP system where the LibDems have done so as well as under
      AV.

      --
      Dale Sheldon-Hess