Steven Hill new book (first look)

  • WarrenS
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2010
      Steven Hill, who previously had a lot to do with FairVote
      (the pro-instant-runoff-voting propaganda organization), and who is
      "political writer and the founding director of the Political Reform Program at the New America Foundation"
      came out recently with a book "Europe's Promise,"
      subtitled "Why the European way is the best hope in an
      insecure age." (U.California Press 2010.)

      I was given a copy by somebody praising the book to the skies.

      Only took a brief look at it so far, namely the sections on
      "hydrogen fuel cells" as a foundation for our energy future, and
      "proportional representation." I chose them because those are topics I happen to know a lot about. Both of those sections were written with great enthusiasm, great simplism, and massive unfamiliarity with the actual scientific realities of either subject, especially the former. (In the case of PR, Hill actually has read some papers, but
      unfortunately apparently only those from one side, and even those he views through the eyes of a credulous child.)

      The "hydrogen economy" is a big mistake and should not be taken seriously by those aware of economics, chemistry, and physics (Hill appears to be incompetent in all these areas). PR may or may not be a good idea, that is a complicated question, not at all a simple one.

      So, I have only read a small portion of the book so far, but my
      impression so far is: "Beware of simplists posing as experts."
      But the book is nearly 500 pages and discusses about 50 more topics also,
      so one might hope that in there somewhere, is something of value.