Journalist awards IRV Guru spot in Democracy Hall of Shame

  • Joyce McCloy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      TUESDAY, JUNE 1, 2010

      Journalist awards Instant Runoff Voting Guru spot in Democracy Hall of
      Shame
      <http://instantrunoff.blogspot.com/2010/06/journalist-awards-instant-runoff-voting.html>

      Investigative journalist Brad Friedman calls Rob Richie called on the
      carpet for his public attack on election integrity advocate Joyce McCloy.

      */"...you and your group have officially earned a spot in the Democracy
      Hall of Shame."/*/ /says Brad Friedman in his email to Rob Richie,
      Director of FairVote.

      Richie's blog made a baseless character attack on an election integrity
      advocate who raises concerns about efficacy of instant runoff voting.
      Brad emailed Richie to say he should correct the post & apologize
      publicly. The offending post is in Richie's May 29, 2010 blog "Joyce
      McCloy and McCarthyism: Her Latest Distortions". This is the
      original link
      <http://irvfactcheck.blogspot.com/2010/05/joyce-mccloy-and-mccarthyism-her-latest.html> to
      the post, but is now a "cleaned" version. The original un-edited post is
      archived here
      <http://irvbad4nc.blogspot.com/2010/06/instant-runoff-voting-guru-attacks.html>.

      See "Shame on you, Rob...." Brad received Rob's response today. Brad's
      next email to Richie is "Thats it? Seriously? after seeing that Richie
      made the post disappear...

      *EMAIL # 1*
      *
      *
      *Subject: Shame on you, Rob. You owe Joyce a BIG apology*
      From: Brad Friedman
      Date: 5/29/2010 5:46 PM

      Rob Richie -

      I have done my best, publicly, to stay out of the public and well-funded
      Internet and lobbyist-whisper-campaign jihad that you and Fair Vote have
      waged on those who have an honest, and very reasonable, opposition to
      IRV and the serious dangers it poses to transparent, citizen-overseeable
      democracy. Vigorous, fair minded, public debate of differing opinions
      is, after all, at the heart of democracy.

      But now you've simply, and outrageously, gone too far. You owe an
      immediate and sincere apology to Joyce McCloy for the insinuations in
      this article and in its inappropriate headline.

      You compare McCloy's advocacy for transparent, citizen-overseeable
      elections to "McCarthyism", which is obnoxious enough, but then you go
      on to write (seemingly without any self-awareness or irony whatsoever):

      I suspect it was her effort in the wake of verified voting champion
      John Gideon's death last year to spread the allegation among his
      friends that I was seeking to use his death to promote instant
      runoff voting.

      You "suspect" that, do you? Do you have any such evidence of same? Or
      are you just hoping to use *McCarthyite* tactics to defame her, in hopes
      of supporting your own cause, in a public space?

      For the record, there were MANY within the Election Integrity Movement
      (no, not the "election security movement" as FairVote's chair recently,
      embarrassingly, described it -- revealing an extraordinary lack of
      understanding and/or concern for EI), who decried what seemed to be your
      opportunistic invocation of John Gideon's name after his death.

      For the record, no, he did NOT support IRV, nor was he 'neutral' on the
      subject, contrary to your blog post above./He opposed it/, at least as
      made clear to me during many of my daily conversations with him. If he
      did not express that publicly, (don't know if he put his position on
      public record or not), he certainly expressed many times to me his
      concerns about it, and the idea that it was an insane notion, given our
      current electoral system mess.

      Nonetheless, I am unaware of evidence to suggest, as you do, that it was
      McCloy's "effort in the wake of verified voting champion John Gideon's
      death last year to spread the allegation among his friends that I was
      seeking to use his death to promote instant runoff voting." But yet you
      use to suggest as much.

      That is appalling, Rob. Simply appalling.

      Your shameless attack(s) against McCloy -- and the similar, recent,
      embarrassing attack against the EI movement as a whole by your chairman
      -- would suggest that the positive values of IRV in elections, whatever
      they may be, are not enough to support your advocacy for them. Instead,
      you feel it necessary to attack a fellow (if unpaid, unlike yourself)
      democracy advocate -- one who recently won an award /in John Gideon's
      name/, btw(!) -- simply because she has the temerity to public disagree
      with your position, and proffer a case to support her reasons for doing so.

      Shame on you, Rob. Or, as Joseph Welch famously said, since you were
      kind enough to (ironically enough) quote it: /"I think I have never
      really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. ... You've done enough.
      Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense
      of decency?"/

      Please retract, correct, apologize for what you've done here, and then
      reign in FairVote's reckless, embarrassing chair person for the obnoxi

      ous, disrespectful and ill-informed blog comments recently posted as well.

      And, after you do the above, I hope you will inform /yourself/and your
      chair person, about what the Election Integrity Movement is, and what
      "transparency" and citizen oversight actually mean. No, contrary to your
      post above, it has nothing -- /nothing/ -- to do with your well-funded
      group's praise-worthy support of a "right to voice in the Constitution".

      Once again: Shame on you, Rob. I hope you show the /sense of decency/ to
      set things right this time.

      Brad Friedman

      Creator/Publisher The BRAD BLOG, http://BradBlog.com <http://bradblog.com/>

      = = = = =

      Brad Friedman
      Publisher/Editor, The BRAD BLOG
      http://www.BradBlog.com <http://www.bradblog.com/>

      Twitter: @... <http://twitter.com/TheBradBlog>

      /
      /

      */Now featuring the /**/Green News Report
      <http://greennews.bradblog.com/>!/**//*

      /The most scintillating //6-minutes in green radio news!/

      # # #

      EMAIL # 2

      *Subject: That's it? Seriously?*
      From: Brad Friedman
      Date: 6/01/2010 3:53 PM

      That's it? That your /transparent /correction and retraction and apology
      for comparing a fellow democracy advocate to McCarthy? You simply made
      your post /disappear?/

      It's apparent that not only does FairVote not give a damn about
      transparent, citizen-overseeable elections, it also doesn't give a damn
      about transparency advocacy for so-called Instant Runoff Voting!

      Little surprise then that real Election Integrity heroes like Joyce
      McCloy and so many others are fighting so hard/against /IRV as well as
      the deceptive propagandizing that FairVote has been doing in favor of it.

      And while you delete the post and offer an "apology" for an "inaccuracy"
      of one aspect of your item, you didn't see fit to have the decency to
      apology for comparing her to Joseph McCarthy even as you, yourself, used
      nothing less than a McCarthy-esque tactic to disparage her and her
      efforts in the very same breath.//

      Since you determined to delete your original offensive post, refuse to
      allow comments at your so-called "IRV Fact Check" blog, and refused as
      well to post my reply to it, as requested, I'm CC'ing Joyce here and
      asking her to post my comment in full at any of her blogs, to any of her
      mailing lists with or without your original offensive post as she she's
      fit. (Joyce, please feel free to include the above text as well).

      Repeated dishonest and deceptive tactics that I have witnessed over the
      years by both you and FairVote have now officially equaled the
      dishonesty and deceptive tactics I've seen by voting machine companies
      such as Diebold, ES&S and Sequoia. For that, you and your group have
      officially earned a spot in the Democracy Hall of Shame. While I have
      endeavored to work with you over the years, even where you and I did not
      always see eye-to-eye, you have finally crossed the line. If you and
      FairVote were looking for a war with the Election Integrity community,
      don't be surprised if you've finally brought one on. Folks like Joyce do
      not give up in their fight for transparent, overseeable democracy, and
      neither do I...

      Brad

      Brad Friedman
      Publisher/Editor, The BRAD BLOG
      http://www.BradBlog.com <http://www.bradblog.com/>

      Twitter: @... <http://twitter.com/TheBradBlog>

      /
      /

      */Now featuring the /**/Green News Report
      <http://greennews.bradblog.com/>!/**//*

      /The most scintillating //6-minutes in green radio news!/

      Brad Friedman is the publisher of www.BradBlog.org
      <http://www.bradblog.org> , The Green News Report, a 2010 Project
      Censored Award Recipient. a winner of Politics Site of the Day, winner
      of 2004 and 2005 Kofax awards, a 2008 weblog awards finalist, a March
      2010 Buzzflash Wings of Justice honoree, and a member of the Velvet
      Revolution Election Protection Strike Force.

      http://instantrunoff.blogspot.com/2010/06/journalist-awards-instant-runoff-voting.html

    • dodecatheon.meadia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2010
        As Venetia Phair once said,

        "So, one is vindicated"

        [Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/world/europe/11phair.html%5d

        :-)
        --
        Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal