Robert X. Cringely on US voting machines lack of audit trial

  • warren_d_smith31
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2006

      quote:
      I asked the question, "Who decided to leave out this auditing capability?" The ability to
      audit is actually required by the Help America Vote Act of 2001, which is providing the
      $3.9 billion needed to buy all those touch screen voting machines. Or at least it appears
      to be required. Certainly, most of the Congressmen and Senators who voted for the Act
      thought it was required. But then the language was changed slightly in a conference
      committee, and for some reason, though the auditing requirement remains, most systems
      aren't auditable. Huh? The best explanation for this that I have seen so far says that the
      new machines are "able" to be audited in the same sense that I am "able" to fly a Boeing
      747. I am a sentient being with basic motor skills just like all 747 pilots, so I am "able" to
      fly a 747. So we are "able" to audit these machines. We just don't know how.

      --wds