Re: 3-way races degenerating to 2-way races (and/or media+parties try to make it

  • jimrtex4192
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
      --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "WarrenS" <wds@...> wrote:

      > > > So I think it is safe to say that not having range voting has already caused damage in both these two races.
      > > >
      > > You are absolutely right, but you have to admit that this is the only way for anyone in the GOP to go given the fact that [NY-23] _is_ a plurality election.
      >
      > --well, maybe. I did not see poll data on how the Scozzafava voters felt re Owens vs Hoffman. If more of them prefer Owens, then GOP would be better off supporting her, AND they'd increase Hoffman's chances by doing so! [This does not at all strike me as impossible, e.g. Hoffman does not live in the district

      http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/congress.html#ny

      Click on the PDF preview file for NY.

      Hoffman lives in Lake Placid, which is in a finger of CD 20 which stretches south to Poughkeepsie and across nearly to Pennsylvania. His home county (Essex) is split in 3 parts with two of them in CD 23. His home town is Saranac Lake which is barely across the border in Franklin County. After graduating from SUNY Plattsburgh, he went to graduate school at UConn and the joined a Big 8 accounting firm.

      He returned to Lake Placid to become controller for the 1980 Olympics. He now owns an accounting firm with offices in Malone, Massena, Canton, and Watertown.

      Owens lives in Plattsburgh, after being stationed at the (now former) AFB there. Born in Brooklyn, he has only lived in the district a little over 30 years. The law firm he is associated with has long had principals who were Republicans in the legislature. He has only recently re-registered as a Democrat from being an Independent.

      Scozzafava lives in Gouvernour which is just north of the St.Lawrence/Jefferson line, and other than leaving the area to attend college appears to be a life time resident of the area.

      If Owens and Scozzafava wanted to have a meeting, they could take a northern route or a southern route. If they took the northern route, they could meet in one of Hoffman's accounting firms offices in Malone, Massena or Canton. If they took the southern route, they could meet at his house.