Re: Games parties play - Arlen Specter

  • D. Frank Robinson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2009
      Magic Bullet Specter is another Senator for life. Maybe the election
      will be so close he'll die before the litigation is over. One -third of
      these guys and gals need to be blown out office every election. Can't
      happen, so secession is the next best option.

      --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brgster@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, Dale Sheldon dales@ wrote:
      > >
      > > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, D. Frank Robinson wrote:
      > >
      > > > So the election won't matter. Same dogs, same fleas. Same votes
      > > > in the Senate.
      > >
      > > Not necesarily. Specter was getting a lot of pressure to vote in
      > > certain ways under the threat of Toomey getting more party funding
      > > for the primary. Now, that pressure doesn't exist.
      > >
      > > Just as it took three weeks to go from "I will never leave the
      > > Republican party" to leaving it, I expect it will be three weeks to
      > > go from "I will not change my stance on EFCA" to changing his
      > > stance on EFCA; for instance.
      > >

      > There is a difference. He had to leave the GOP because Pennsylvania
      law would not permit him to do what Joe Lieberman did in Connecticut in
      2006 (lose the primary, then run as an independent). If he votes against
      EFCA, what is Organized Labor to do? Back Toomey? Fat chance.