Re: Reality check: IRV vs Range and actually building a 3rd party

  • steveel2
    Message 1 of 128 , Dec 31, 2008
      --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, Juho Laatu <juho4880@...> wrote:

      > One quick response would be to say
      > "in Range you can vote for the third
      > party".

      Joe counters, "Oh yeah? I can do that in IRV"

      Result so far: Joe has not budged an inch AND you have
      spent your first (and therefore best) bullet to convince him
      to support RV.

      > And maybe add "I'm sorry but
      > you better vote strategically and
      > give full points also to some of the
      > leading candidates".

      Joe counters: "Hey wait a minute.... I'm here at this townhall
      meeting because the current system compels me to be dishonest, and I
      think that stinks. Now you guys are saying you have the magic cure
      and it ALSO compels me to be dishonest? Get lost!"

      Result so far: You have destroyed any vestige of credibility with Joe.

      Any other thoughts?

      Steve E
    • steveel2
      Message 128 of 128 , Jan 3, 2009
        --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, Juho Laatu <juho4880@...> wrote:

        > --- On Sat, 3/1/09, Bruce R. Gilson <brgster@...> wrote:
        >
        > > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, "steveel2"
        > > <stevegeneral999@>
        > > wrote:
        > >

        > > > Bruce, I'm curious how you (and anyone else) feel
        > > about strategic
        > > > voting, per se. Is it a curse? A boon?

        > I believe most voters definitely want to have
        > a method that allows them to vote sincerely.
        > That is already difficult enough.

        For myself, I go one step further. It is one thing for the system to
        ALLOW sincere votes, and it is another for the system to not coerce
        people into forgoing that option. In other words, among other things
        my ideal system would minimize the liklihood that ANYONE would vote
        strategically.

        Steve E

        PS Call me naive....