7144Re: X leads to 2-party domination

  • brokenladdercalendar
    Mar 4, 2008
      i think it's important to remember that a sincere vote can be a
      _reasonably_ strong vote, which is good for a voter who doesn't want
      to take the time to calculate the perhaps 5% better ideal strategic
      vote. so this voter is strategic in a sense. he's not naive, and he
      wants a strong vote. but he's sincere for practical reasons.

      http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat6.html

      --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, Juho <juho4880@...> wrote:

      > I covered the mixture of competitive an non-competitive voters in
      > another paragraph ("Intermediate Approval orientation"). I believe
      > Range will differ from Approval so that there will be some sincere
      > Range style voters. The number of those may depend on the environment
      > where the election is held.
      >
      > The concept of a competitive voter that casts a sincere Range vote is
      > not quite clear. The voter might not be aware of the strategic
      > opportunities. Or maybe the voters becomes non-competitive and
      > therefore does not vote strategically. Or maybe that include a claim
      > that often a sincere vote would be strategically optimal.
      >
      > Juho
      >

      > On Mar 3, 2008, at 3:56 , brokenladdercalendar wrote:
      >
      > > --- In RangeVoting@yahoogroups.com, Juho <juho4880@> wrote:
      > >> Sincere Range assumes non-competitive voters and therefore strategies
      > >> have no impact on the the third party candidates.
      > >
      > > well, no. warren, at least, assumes a mixture of competative and
      > > non-competitive voters. or more strictly speaking, some significant
      > > degree of sincere voting. now there's a case to be made that plenty
      > > of competitive voters will be sincere with range voting, and that's
      > > not a contradiction:
      > > http://rangevoting.org/RVstrat.html
      > >
      > > -clay
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity
      and ease of use." - PC Magazine