01/01 - Freedom from Guilt, by Angie Turner

  • EternityNow Ministries
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      ------------------
      Today many celebrate the Emancipation Proclamation
      of Jan. 1, 1863, when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln
      declared all slaves free. The gospel proclaims us
      freedmen as well! Our old life is done away with,
      and Jesus has given us a new life.

      Happy New Year from Random-Thought!
      ------------------

      FREEDOM FROM GUILT – Part 1
      --by Angie Turner

      "If the blood of goats and bulls and the sprinkled ashes of a
      heifer have power to hallow those who have been defiled and
      restore their external purity, how much greater is the power of
      the blood of Christ; he offered himself without blemish to God, a
      spiritual and eternal sacrifice; and his blood will cleanse our
      conscience from the deadness of our former ways and fit us for
      the service of the living God." Heb. 9:13, 14

      These verses state that the blood of Jesus cleanses our
      conscience before God. This means, by His one sacrifice, we no
      longer stand guilty. Sin no longer separates us from God because
      it has been done away with.

      What about the doctrine that says we need to continue to confess
      our sins in order to have a clear conscience before God? My
      answer to this question: Either what Jesus did is good enough or
      it isn’t. If His sacrifice is incomplete, then I still stand
      guilty before God. If this is true, I’m still lost and without
      hope of ever being reconciled to Him.

      Was Christ’s sacrifice ineffective? Of course not. Jesus
      accomplished what He came to do, reconciling man to God. We know
      the sacrifice of Christ dealt with sin once and for all. Our sins
      are no longer remembered against us.

      So, if it is not God holding our sin against us, and if it is
      true that the blood of Jesus cleanses our conscience from guilt,
      why do we still feel guilty before God? Why do we feel the need
      to do something about our sin?

      We may be experiencing a sense of guilt because we are not
      recognizing and believing all that Jesus did. We may be
      evaluating ourselves by the measuring stick of our performance
      rather than placing our faith in the finished work of Christ.

      "We have, moreover, a great priest set over the household of God;
      so let us make our approach in sincerity of heart and full
      assurance of faith, our guilty hearts sprinkled clean, our bodies
      washed with pure water." Heb. 10:21, 22

      We need to believe the truth: Jesus makes us right with God –
      period.

      --Get to know Angie at
      http://www.geocities.com/freenglad91

      --------------
      A note from a random-thought subscriber:

      "Thank you so very much for [Drawn to You,
      by Joyce Mikhael]. It is exactly how I feel
      when I'm in the presence of the Lord."--E.M.
      --------------

      PLEASE FORWARD THIS RANDOM-THOUGHT TO A FRIEND!

      Thank you for reading Random-Thought!
      We look forward to hearing how the Lord is ministering
      to you through these devotions. Please write us any time.
      Send e- mailto:random-thought@...

      To the list owners and moderators who have given us
      permission to reprint these devotions on their lists:
      Thank you!
      Would you like us to send Random-Thought devotionals
      To your discussion group too? Please email Rebecca
      Armstrong at random-thought@...

      Are you an author? Send your own, original
      submissions to random-thought@...

      (c)2001 EternityNow Ministries. All rights reserved. Original
      materials used with permission. This email may be reproduced for
      non-commercial purposes, provided the copyright statement and the
      original author's name remain attached.