May 3 is National Day of Prayer

  • Su
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Pagans are allowed - nay, we are supposed - to participate in the
      National Day of Prayer, as is appropriate to our individual beliefs.
      I am asking all members to pause with their families at 7:00 p.m. on
      Thursday, May 3rd, for 1 minute of silence for prayer and/or
      reflection.

      Thank you,
      Su Leone
      Moderator, Raleigh Pagan Homeschoolers & Families

      Excerpt from the 2007 Presidential Proclamation about National Day of
      Prayer:

      A prayerful spirit has always been an important part of our national
      character, and it is a force that has guided the American people,
      given us strength, and sustained us in moments of joy and in times of
      challenge. On this National Day of Prayer, we acknowledge God's grace
      and ask for His continued guidance in the life of our Nation.

      Americans of many faiths and traditions share a common belief that
      God hears the prayers of His children and shows grace to those who
      seek Him. Following the tragedy at Virginia Tech, in towns all
      across America, in houses of worship from every faith, Americans have
      joined together to pray for the lives that were lost and for their
      families, friends, and loved ones. We hold the victims in our hearts
      and pray for those who suffer and grieve. There is a power in these
      prayers,
      and we can find comfort in the grace and guidance of a loving God.

      At this important time in our history, we also pray for the brave
      members of our Armed Forces and their families. We pray for their
      safety, for the recovery of the wounded, and for the peace we all
      seek.

      The Congress, by Public Law 100 307, as amended, has called on our
      Nation to reaffirm the role of prayer in our society and to respect
      the freedom of religion by recognizing each year a "National Day of
      Prayer."

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
      America, do hereby proclaim May 3, 2007, as a National Day of Prayer.
      I ask the citizens of our Nation to
      give thanks, each according to his or her own faith, for the freedoms
      and blessings we have received and for God's continued guidance,
      comfort, and protection. I invite all Americans to join in observing
      this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.