Re: Pagan_Homeschoolers: New Member Intro

  • Amber2hawk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      In a message dated 12/1/2005 10:22:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, Raleigh_Pagan_Homeschoolers@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Hi Amy,
      I'm near Six Forks & Lynn Rd, so Wake Forest is still a pretty good drive
      for me (at least 20 minutes).  It's probably something I'd be willing to do
      sometimes, though.  I doubt I'd make it to anything before the holidays
      though.  Do you meet during the winter months?  It sounds like a nice, mixed
      group.  In addition to learning about spiritual things, Natalie has also
      soaked up the message that school is a wonderful thing (too many PBS shows),
      and she wants to go.  I really don't like the idea (for many reasons), and
      husband & I are still dedicated to homeschooling.

      Jennifer

      Aaah, that's not too terribly bad. Its about 15-20 minutes from where I live as well, but for me its the closest desirable group I know of. There are a few large but very Christian groups in Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill and all through Raleigh but they are just too darn big for me, and honestly, too Christian specific as well. This group has recently started going to a local Community center when the weather doesn't permit outdoor time, but we all do try to keep going every Friday. We had a game day at the Barnes & Nobles every month but we have decided the price of "Mommy can I have..." was a little too high each month so we have also opted to take our games to the community center as well.

      I could tell your daughter a few horror stories about school, both from my experience in it and my son's brief time there. I personally don't believe school is a terrible thing for everyone, just that there should be alternatives for those it is terrible for. I fell into that category, as did my son. My sister loved it but my brother was in the same boat I was in. Do keep me in mind for when the weather gets better. January and February are usually our coldest months (ice storms and frozen roads).

      "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." ~ Voltaire ~