Rainbow E-News

  • Luke Lundemo
    Message 1 of 254 , Aug 29, 2011

      Circulation now at 2910 up 24 from last week

      Monday, August 29, 2011

      “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

      Open Monday – Friday from 11:30am to 2:00pm

      Mississippi’s Healthiest Restaurant

      All Organic, all the time

      All Vegetarian, all the time

      The Specials This Week:

      Monday, August 29
        Lasagna with Side Salad & Garlic Bread
      Chick-un Noodle Zoop

      Tuesday, August 30
        Red Beans & Rice, Braized Greens & Vegan Mac

      Curried Beet Zoop

      Wednesday, August 31

      Tacos! with Side Salad

      Chili

      Thursday, September 1
         Stir Fry

      Taco Zoop

      Friday, September 2
         Seaside Cakes with Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Coleslaw

      Vegi Zoop

      RAINBOW WILL BE CLOSED ON MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5TH FOR LABOR DAY

      DEPARTMENT NEWS

      FROZEN GOODS

      Oh Oh. This looks irresistible.

      GROCERIES

      Boring waffles be gone!

      HEALTH AND BEAUTY

      Have fun with your shaving cream – Jojoba Aloe, Mint, Pomegranate

      SUPPLEMENTS

      One month supply (1oz – less than $60)
      e-HCG has a unique underlying benefit that helps your body release and use up Type III (abnormal) fat stores in your body and use them for energy instead of the calories you would normally consume! Individuals on our e-HCG program lose an average of 1-3 lbs per day without the usual headaches, lack of energy, or hunger pangs that accompany other low calorie diets!
      When you get your HCG, ask for The Special Diet booklet which includes some great low calorie recipes.

      THE HUMAN GUNEA PIG.
      Week 2
      Last week we started an experiment to see if following Dr. Simeons 500 calorie diet recommendations will take the pounds off.
      Here’s where the experiment stands today:

      NOTES: Taking 10 drops under the tongue in the morning and evening. That spike right after starting is due to Dr. Simeons instructions to gorge yourself the first two days of taking HCG.
      HUNGER: Appetite ok, but hardly any food cravings or hunger pangs.
      ENERGY: No drop in energy or activities. Walking 2-3 miles every morning for exercise.
      THE WEEK TO COME: My wife is getting antsy to eat in restaurants, so we’ll see how close to the diet we can stay while mixing in a few visits to restaurants.

      Dr. Simeon, who developed the diet that accompanies the use of HCG, wrote the details of the diet in a book called Pounds and Inches. You can download it free here:
      http://geoffnortondc.com/uploads/Dr_Simeons_42_Page_E-book.pdf

      NEW PRODUCT

      NICE ICE !
      Crystal clear ice made with water from our reverse osmosis system.
      $2.49 – 10 lb bag

      Jackson Area’s Only All Organic Salad Bar!

      Ready for you Monday - Saturday!

      Save the Date!

      Sunday, September 25, 2011
      Starts at 12:30 p.m.

      Rainbow’s Annual Potluck
      and
      Shareholders Meeting

      at The Cedars
      on Old Canton Road just south of Meadowbrook

      Start thinking about what wonderful vegetarian food creation you will be bringing to the potluck…

      There will be really cool door prizes…

      There will be a drawing for more prizes…
      like a $100 gift certificate to the Spa at St. Dominics

      Bring a drum of some sort, there will probably be a drumming circle…

      coming to Fondren in October…

      It’s Time.
      Get That Fall Crop In The Ground!

      All Organic Certified Seeds

      Test Yourself – Are you more a right brain person or left brain person?

      Is the girl spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise?

      http://www.metacafe.com/watch/870136/left_brain_v_right_brain_test/

      Walkin-the-Talk Awards

      This is an annual award given to Rainbow Employees that are applying the Rainbow mission to their personal lives.

      Rainbow’s Mission :

      We are a member owned and operated consumer cooperative dedicated to providing natural and organic products and services that promote health awareness, a clean environment, and a strong community; at the lowest possible cost.

      This award gives recognition to Rainbow employees who have adopted a healthy and environmentally sustainable lifestyle, or have made changes in that direction. In the process of embodying this vision they have done an exceptional job of inspiring others to live more healthy and sustainable lives.

      Any shopper, member or staff person can make one or more nominations.

      Anyone making a nomination should give that employees name and a brief description about why you are nominating them. We will need your nominations turned in a few days before the last Rainbow Board Meeting preceding the annual meeting.

      Leigh Anne, Steve and Luke will collect the nominations and present them to the Rainbow Board who will select those who will get an award. You can place Rainbow employees in nomination by simply responding to this email.

      The awards will be announced and presented at the Rainbow Annual Membership Meeting.

      THIS WEEKS VIDEO

      62 minutes

      Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, MD – “No More Heart Attacks – Ever”

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYTf0z_zVs0&feature=relmfu

      Recycling in Jackson is about to get more serious. Stay tuned.

      KEEPING UP WITH THE

      TOUGALOO-RAINBOW SUSTAINABLE GARDEN

      Call 601-573-7529 for questions about the garden or to schedule a work session with Michael or Katherine.

      Bee Hives… Nature Trail…Spring Vegetables Planted…Huge Mulching Operation…Sustainable Practices Workshops

      See y'all in the garden

      Directions:

      Go to the main gates of Tougaloo College . (From north State Street , turn west on County Line Road and go about half a mile – it’s on the right)

      At the guard station let them know you are headed for the garden.

      Take the first left after the guard station.

      Continue until you come to an open field on your right and you can see the floating dormitory building. Turn right toward the dormitory.

      Just before you get to the dormitory, turn in the parking lot to your left and follow the gravel road under the dormitory and park behind the science building. The garden is next to the woods just beyond the parking lot.

      We mainly repair PC’s…
      But…
      We also sell computers and parts
      Rent laptops, screens, projectors and speakers
      Teach computer skills
      Recycle computers
      Right inside Rainbow Plaza
      601-981-6925

      Evolve with us!

      shop with meaning:

       shop for economic justice - with handmade fair trade products

       shop for earth stewardship - with solar and energy efficient products

       shop for spiritual fulfillment - with positive messages on t-shirts, stickers, magnets buttons, cups and more

      All at Fair Trade Green

      Really neat fair trade dresses from around the world!

      Come by and pick up your free laminated Prayer for Peace (Prayer of St. Francis)

      FREE Lending Library
      Nearly two thousand titles of books, videos and audio cassettes related to spirituality and personal growth.
      In the Fair Trade Green store.

      Community Enrichment Series

      The Evolving Mind

      Does the mind extend beyond the skull? See for yourself! We'll do several exercises and experiments that support a strong experience of the expanded mind. These are techniques that lower fear, stress, and anxiety and support love, empathy, equanimity, and compassion. Learn the latest insights science has to offer. Participation requires only an open attitude.

      Cost: $80; Mon., Sept. 19 - Oct. 10; 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.; 4 wks.

      Instructors Luke and Charlotte Lundemo have been practicing meditation for more than 25 years. Luke is a graduate of the three year Community Dharma Leader training program at Spirit Rock Meditation Cen

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

    • Luke Lundemo
      Message 254 of 254 , Nov 18, 2013

        Rainbow Co-op News for Monday, November 18, 2013

          "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." ~ John Adams, attorney, diplomat, statesman, and 2nd president of the United States

        Inside News                                601-366-1602 www.rainbowcoop.org Description: Description: http://www.rainbowcoop.org/ee_site/images/facebook.png Description: Description: http://www.rainbowcoop.org/ee_site/images/twitter.png

        Food as Medicine

        Healthcare you can sink your teeth into

        = = = = = =

        The November Rainbow Roundup Recipient is:

        Bike Walk Mississippi

        Bike Walk wants to make the streets, sidewalks and anywhere you choose to walk, to ride or to run a SAFER place to do so.

        When you check out at the cash register, just tell the cashier you want to round up to the next dollar. At the end of the month, we total up all the contributions and give it to

        = = = = = =

        We have a donation box in the plaza for the My Brother's Keeper Food Pantry. http://mbkinc.org/

        = = = = = =

           The High Noon Café, Bakery, Deli and Salad Bar

        Mississippi’s Healthiest Restaurant
        As Organic as it gets

        All Vegetarian, all the time
        Open Monday – Friday from 11:30am to 2:00pm

        This week’s specials:

        Monday, Nov. 18
        Ratatouille
        Chick’un and Rice Soup*

        Tuesday, Nov. 19
        Polenta with Sautéed Veggies
        Green Lentil Soup*

        Wednesday, Nov. 20
        Black Bean Burger
        White Bean Soup*

        Thursday, Nov. 21
        Red Curry over Rice

        Tortilla Soup*

        Friday, Nov. 22
        Seaside Cakes with Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Coleslaw
        Veggie Soup
        *

        *gluten-free

        = = = = = =

           The Frozen Foods Department

        The Organic and Free Range Turkeys are here!

        And for those who are pardoning a turkey…

        The Tofurkeys and relatives are here too

           The Health and Beauty Department

        Our Standards

        Ayurveda is about balance, and it’s hard to balance what’s organic (you) with what’s artificial. That’s why we seek out effective herbal ingredients, and why we’re careful about what goes into our formulas.

        All of VeriaInnerdosha products are made with 100% vegetarian ingredients and are certified cruelty-free.

        NO parabens (we’re well preserved without them)

        NO phthalates (because we like you healthy)

        NO synthetic fragrances (ours are 100% naturally derived)

        NO harsh sulfates (we lather gently)

        NO artificial colors (because natural is beautiful)

        NO GMO’s

        Sustainability is in our Nature

        Veria Innerdosha marries herbal wisdom with the best of modern science and that applies to the packaging of our products too. We’d never say something’s good for you that isn’t also good for the world. So when we say “more of the good, less of the bad,” we mean people, planet, all of it. It’s not in our nature to do it any other way.

        Our tubes are made from 67% post-consumer recycled (PCR) content

        Our jars and tubs are 25% PCR.

        Our bottles are 25% PCR

        Our cartons are 50% PCR, 100% carbon neutral and made with wind power

           The Bulk Foods Department

        Lotus Leaf and Lotus Flower Petals

        The lovely lotus, which lives in the water but pokes its head above the surface, and whose beautiful flowers open in the morning as the Sun rises, and close at night, has charmed eastern and middle eastern cultures for millennium. The pales green leaves, which lay flat upon the surface of the water, reach a diameter of up to 18 inches. They are collected in the summer and autumn, and dried and processed into an herbal extract, which is effective as an astringent, cardio tonic, anti-febrile agent, hypotensive, resolvent, styptic, tonic and vasodilator.

        Lotus flower is a national flower of India and is used for calming and soothing.  It is a mild diuretic and used for detox.  It has been used for many years by a variety of cultures for everything from women’s health to an offering to the Gods.  Used for astringent, cardio tonic, febrifuge, hypertensive, stomachic, styptic, tonic and vasodilator.

           The Supplements Department

        Help! – I need to chill out!

        Got you covered.

           The Grocery Department

        = = = = = =

        No Need to Mull on This – We got it!

        = = = = = =

        Now you can really go cuckoo for coconut!

        Rainbow Plaza News

           Fair Trade Green

               SHOPPING WITH CONSCIENCE

        Economic Justice -
        with handmade fair trade products

        Earth Stewardship - with solar and energy efficient products

        Spiritual Evolution - with positive messages on t-shirts, stickers, magnets buttons, cups…

        Books – On sustainable living, healthy eating, personal development…

        Incense – Candles -  Clothing - Musical Instruments – Gifts – Crystals and Gems

        Beautiful handmade jewelry.

              601-987-0002

        Support Small Business Saturday, November 30

        = = = = = =

        New Extended Holiday Store Hours

        Open until 5pm Saturdays

        = = = = = =

        Really cool wood block calendars with carved animals.

        = = = = = =

        Wood elephants hold books in place!

           Computer Co-op

        It’s not about computers -

        It’s about serving people

        601-981-6925

        Computer Repair and Problem Solving

        On-site and in our repair shop

        We also sell new and used computers and parts

        Rent laptops, screens, projectors and speakers
        Teach computer skills and recycle computers

        Big savings for members

           Rent Jackson

        Residential Property Management
        in Metro Jackson, Mississippi

           Rainbow Plaza Cybercafé

        Free Wi-Fi throughout the plaza
        Three free public computers with high speed internet access

        Printing is .15 per page
        30 minute limit when others are waiting

        Three work stations - all with print capabilities!

           Conscious Living Project

        For healthy minds, bodies and earth

        Free Lending Library
        Nearly two thousand titles of books, videos and audio cassettes related to spirituality and personal growth. In the Fair Trade Green store.

        Sunday, December 8 – Group Meditation – Rainbow Plaza, Fondren, MS

        One Hour Silent Meditation
        at Rainbow Plaza, in the Fair Trade Green Library
        Open to everyone

        Sundays at 10:00am

        body

        Former Pro-GMO Scientist Speaks Out Against GMO Dangers

        Elizabeth Renter, News Report: As mounting evidence shows genetically modified foods have dangerous health and environmental repercussions, the number of scientists willing to step forward and speak out against them is similarly growing. Dr. Thierry Vrain is just the latest of many scientists to buck Monsanto and their hired goons, changing his stance on GMOs and shouting their dangers to anyone that will listen. Now, 10 years after his retirement, he’s changed his tune.

        READ  |  DISCUSS  |  SHARE

        = = = = = =

        = = = = = =

        Thanksgiving Recipes

        Whether you're looking for traditional standards or innovative ideas for your holiday dinner, you'll find them in Epicurious' collection of
        top-rated Thanksgiving recipes. Epicurious offers a great array of turkey recipes, as well as a wonderful selection of side dishes.  And if you'd specifically like to skip the meat course at this year's dinner, you'll never miss it with these vegetarian and vegan dishes from the Daily Green, including cream of pumpkin soup topped with curried pecans, butternut squash-chestnut soup with caramelized pears, Chesapeake tempeh cakes, and Moroccan couscous with saffron. Finally, if you find you're still in possession of Halloween pumpkins, you may appreciate these eight recipes from the DailyGreen.

        = = = = = =

        What's In That Chicken Nugget?

        A University of Mississippi analysis of two chicken nuggets, bought locally from "national fast food chains," found that "half or more of each was made up of fat, cartilage, pieces of bone, blood vessels and nerves." One researcher noted, "It is really a chicken by-product high in calories, salt, sugar and fat that is a very unhealthy choice. Even worse, it tastes great and kids love it and it is marketed to them." Reuters has
        the story, if you can stomach it.

        = = = = = =

        Garden

        The Tougaloo-Rainbow Sustainable Garden

        Directions:

        Go to the main gates of Tougaloo College. (From north State Street, turn west on County Line Road and go about half a mile – it’s on the right)

        At the guard station let them know you are headed for the garden.

        Take the first left after the guard station.

        Continue until you come to an open field on your right and you can see the floating dormitory building. Turn right toward the dormitory.

        Just before you get to the dormitory, turn in the parking lot to your left and follow the gravel road under the dormitory and park behind the science building. The garden is next to the woods just beyond the parking lot.

        For more information call the Garden Manager, Felicia Bell 601-955-0339

        Community

        Thursday, Nov. 21 – Vegan Three Course Dinner – Jackson

        Bravo’s every Thursday.

        Thursday, Nov. 21 – Fondren Unwrapped – Fondren

        Stores staying open late. Awesome substation light up planned!

        Saturday, November 23– The 12K’s For The Holidays - Fondren

        The 12k’s for the Holidays Charity Run is a great way to start the holiday season. The 12k run, 5k run, 5k walk and FREE one mile fun run for kids wind through the beautiful historic Fondren neighborhood on Saturday, November 23rd. This fabulous race is a fundraiser for The Good Samaritan Center, helping families in crisis for 40. www.christmas12k.com

        Friday, Nov. 29 – Community Bike Ride – Fondren

        Meet in the Rainbow Co-op parking lot at 6pm for a group bike ride through Fondren, midtown and downtown. All ages and skill levels are welcome as it is leisurely paced.

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)