Rainbow E-News

  • Luke Lundemo
    Message 1 of 254 , Jun 1 7:24 AM
      Today@Rainbow

      Monday, June 1, 2009

      TODAY – Lasagna – Vegan or Dairy

                 And the Soup of the Day:

      TODAY – Vegetable Soup

      HAVING ALLERGY PROBLEMS?

      Get relief the natural way.

      All these natural herbs help

      and FOR TWO MORE WEEKS they are 10% off!

      Licorice

      Ginseng

      Dandelion

      Milk Thistle

      Nettle

      Red Clover

      Elderflower

      Mullen

      Rosehips

      Bayberry

      - see Christy to get the herb(s) best for you.

      TODAY IN PEACE HISTORY

      June 1, 1845

      Sojourner Truth (born Isabella Baumfree, but went by the name she believed God had given her as a symbolic representation of her mission in life) set out from New York City on a journey across America, preaching about the evils of slavery and promoting women's rights. She had been a slave with several owners but was legally free when slavery was abolished in New York state.

      read more about Sojourner Truth

      WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY

        Friday, June 5

      The Conscious Living Project

      invites you to a fun(d)raising event

      including a showing of the world premier of the movie

      Shot entirely in high-definition on a helicopter, this documentary brings breath-taking footage from over fifty countries. Academy Award nominated actress Glenn Close narrates the story which shows how humanity has upset the balance on Earth and the high price that we have to pay. As the results of over-consumption and depletion of Earth's resources unfold in the film, HOME sets out the current situation and at the same time, tells us that a solution exists.
      Through this film, director Yann Arthus-Bertrand, a renowned French photographer, hopes to convey the message that we have a greater impact on the Earth than it can bear and that important decisions must be taken to change the world.

      and a special dinner prepared by High Noon Café

      The evening begins at 6:30pm at Rainbow Plaza

      To reserve a place, call Charlotte at 601-981-6925 or email to charlotte@...

      Seating is limited so please respond quickly

      We will be asking for your help in reaching local elected officials, media presenters, and business leaders with a message of solving the three related big issues of our time:
      Environmental Sustainability

      Social Justice

      Spiritual Fulfillment

      please pass this along to everyone that might be interested!

      KEEPING UP WITH THE COMMUNITY GARDEN

      This is so rad! Lots of radishes. I got to buy a box of them from the produce dept yesterday.

      Volunteer Hours for This Week:

      Wednesday 7:00 AM- 11:00AM

      Saturday 8:00 AM-12:00PM

      See y'all in the garden!

      Would you like regular updates and lots of pictures?

      Join 84 current members.

      Join the sustainable garden egroup here:

      -        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    • Luke Lundemo
      Message 254 of 254 , Nov 18, 2013

        Rainbow Co-op News for Monday, November 18, 2013

          "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." ~ John Adams, attorney, diplomat, statesman, and 2nd president of the United States

        Inside News                                601-366-1602 www.rainbowcoop.org Description: Description: http://www.rainbowcoop.org/ee_site/images/facebook.png Description: Description: http://www.rainbowcoop.org/ee_site/images/twitter.png

        Food as Medicine

        Healthcare you can sink your teeth into

        = = = = = =

        The November Rainbow Roundup Recipient is:

        Bike Walk Mississippi

        Bike Walk wants to make the streets, sidewalks and anywhere you choose to walk, to ride or to run a SAFER place to do so.

        When you check out at the cash register, just tell the cashier you want to round up to the next dollar. At the end of the month, we total up all the contributions and give it to

        = = = = = =

        We have a donation box in the plaza for the My Brother's Keeper Food Pantry. http://mbkinc.org/

        = = = = = =

           The High Noon Café, Bakery, Deli and Salad Bar

        Mississippi’s Healthiest Restaurant
        As Organic as it gets

        All Vegetarian, all the time
        Open Monday – Friday from 11:30am to 2:00pm

        This week’s specials:

        Monday, Nov. 18
        Ratatouille
        Chick’un and Rice Soup*

        Tuesday, Nov. 19
        Polenta with Sautéed Veggies
        Green Lentil Soup*

        Wednesday, Nov. 20
        Black Bean Burger
        White Bean Soup*

        Thursday, Nov. 21
        Red Curry over Rice

        Tortilla Soup*

        Friday, Nov. 22
        Seaside Cakes with Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Coleslaw
        Veggie Soup
        *

        *gluten-free

        = = = = = =

           The Frozen Foods Department

        The Organic and Free Range Turkeys are here!

        And for those who are pardoning a turkey…

        The Tofurkeys and relatives are here too

           The Health and Beauty Department

        Our Standards

        Ayurveda is about balance, and it’s hard to balance what’s organic (you) with what’s artificial. That’s why we seek out effective herbal ingredients, and why we’re careful about what goes into our formulas.

        All of VeriaInnerdosha products are made with 100% vegetarian ingredients and are certified cruelty-free.

        NO parabens (we’re well preserved without them)

        NO phthalates (because we like you healthy)

        NO synthetic fragrances (ours are 100% naturally derived)

        NO harsh sulfates (we lather gently)

        NO artificial colors (because natural is beautiful)

        NO GMO’s

        Sustainability is in our Nature

        Veria Innerdosha marries herbal wisdom with the best of modern science and that applies to the packaging of our products too. We’d never say something’s good for you that isn’t also good for the world. So when we say “more of the good, less of the bad,” we mean people, planet, all of it. It’s not in our nature to do it any other way.

        Our tubes are made from 67% post-consumer recycled (PCR) content

        Our jars and tubs are 25% PCR.

        Our bottles are 25% PCR

        Our cartons are 50% PCR, 100% carbon neutral and made with wind power

           The Bulk Foods Department

        Lotus Leaf and Lotus Flower Petals

        The lovely lotus, which lives in the water but pokes its head above the surface, and whose beautiful flowers open in the morning as the Sun rises, and close at night, has charmed eastern and middle eastern cultures for millennium. The pales green leaves, which lay flat upon the surface of the water, reach a diameter of up to 18 inches. They are collected in the summer and autumn, and dried and processed into an herbal extract, which is effective as an astringent, cardio tonic, anti-febrile agent, hypotensive, resolvent, styptic, tonic and vasodilator.

        Lotus flower is a national flower of India and is used for calming and soothing.  It is a mild diuretic and used for detox.  It has been used for many years by a variety of cultures for everything from women’s health to an offering to the Gods.  Used for astringent, cardio tonic, febrifuge, hypertensive, stomachic, styptic, tonic and vasodilator.

           The Supplements Department

        Help! – I need to chill out!

        Got you covered.

           The Grocery Department

        = = = = = =

        No Need to Mull on This – We got it!

        = = = = = =

        Now you can really go cuckoo for coconut!

        Rainbow Plaza News

           Fair Trade Green

               SHOPPING WITH CONSCIENCE

        Economic Justice -
        with handmade fair trade products

        Earth Stewardship - with solar and energy efficient products

        Spiritual Evolution - with positive messages on t-shirts, stickers, magnets buttons, cups…

        Books – On sustainable living, healthy eating, personal development…

        Incense – Candles -  Clothing - Musical Instruments – Gifts – Crystals and Gems

        Beautiful handmade jewelry.

              601-987-0002

        Support Small Business Saturday, November 30

        = = = = = =

        New Extended Holiday Store Hours

        Open until 5pm Saturdays

        = = = = = =

        Really cool wood block calendars with carved animals.

        = = = = = =

        Wood elephants hold books in place!

           Computer Co-op

        It’s not about computers -

        It’s about serving people

        601-981-6925

        Computer Repair and Problem Solving

        On-site and in our repair shop

        We also sell new and used computers and parts

        Rent laptops, screens, projectors and speakers
        Teach computer skills and recycle computers

        Big savings for members

           Rent Jackson

        Residential Property Management
        in Metro Jackson, Mississippi

           Rainbow Plaza Cybercafé

        Free Wi-Fi throughout the plaza
        Three free public computers with high speed internet access

        Printing is .15 per page
        30 minute limit when others are waiting

        Three work stations - all with print capabilities!

           Conscious Living Project

        For healthy minds, bodies and earth

        Free Lending Library
        Nearly two thousand titles of books, videos and audio cassettes related to spirituality and personal growth. In the Fair Trade Green store.

        Sunday, December 8 – Group Meditation – Rainbow Plaza, Fondren, MS

        One Hour Silent Meditation
        at Rainbow Plaza, in the Fair Trade Green Library
        Open to everyone

        Sundays at 10:00am

        body

        Former Pro-GMO Scientist Speaks Out Against GMO Dangers

        Elizabeth Renter, News Report: As mounting evidence shows genetically modified foods have dangerous health and environmental repercussions, the number of scientists willing to step forward and speak out against them is similarly growing. Dr. Thierry Vrain is just the latest of many scientists to buck Monsanto and their hired goons, changing his stance on GMOs and shouting their dangers to anyone that will listen. Now, 10 years after his retirement, he’s changed his tune.

        READ  |  DISCUSS  |  SHARE

        = = = = = =

        = = = = = =

        Thanksgiving Recipes

        Whether you're looking for traditional standards or innovative ideas for your holiday dinner, you'll find them in Epicurious' collection of
        top-rated Thanksgiving recipes. Epicurious offers a great array of turkey recipes, as well as a wonderful selection of side dishes.  And if you'd specifically like to skip the meat course at this year's dinner, you'll never miss it with these vegetarian and vegan dishes from the Daily Green, including cream of pumpkin soup topped with curried pecans, butternut squash-chestnut soup with caramelized pears, Chesapeake tempeh cakes, and Moroccan couscous with saffron. Finally, if you find you're still in possession of Halloween pumpkins, you may appreciate these eight recipes from the DailyGreen.

        = = = = = =

        What's In That Chicken Nugget?

        A University of Mississippi analysis of two chicken nuggets, bought locally from "national fast food chains," found that "half or more of each was made up of fat, cartilage, pieces of bone, blood vessels and nerves." One researcher noted, "It is really a chicken by-product high in calories, salt, sugar and fat that is a very unhealthy choice. Even worse, it tastes great and kids love it and it is marketed to them." Reuters has
        the story, if you can stomach it.

        = = = = = =

        Garden

        The Tougaloo-Rainbow Sustainable Garden

        Directions:

        Go to the main gates of Tougaloo College. (From north State Street, turn west on County Line Road and go about half a mile – it’s on the right)

        At the guard station let them know you are headed for the garden.

        Take the first left after the guard station.

        Continue until you come to an open field on your right and you can see the floating dormitory building. Turn right toward the dormitory.

        Just before you get to the dormitory, turn in the parking lot to your left and follow the gravel road under the dormitory and park behind the science building. The garden is next to the woods just beyond the parking lot.

        For more information call the Garden Manager, Felicia Bell 601-955-0339

        Community

        Thursday, Nov. 21 – Vegan Three Course Dinner – Jackson

        Bravo’s every Thursday.

        Thursday, Nov. 21 – Fondren Unwrapped – Fondren

        Stores staying open late. Awesome substation light up planned!

        Saturday, November 23– The 12K’s For The Holidays - Fondren

        The 12k’s for the Holidays Charity Run is a great way to start the holiday season. The 12k run, 5k run, 5k walk and FREE one mile fun run for kids wind through the beautiful historic Fondren neighborhood on Saturday, November 23rd. This fabulous race is a fundraiser for The Good Samaritan Center, helping families in crisis for 40. www.christmas12k.com

        Friday, Nov. 29 – Community Bike Ride – Fondren

        Meet in the Rainbow Co-op parking lot at 6pm for a group bike ride through Fondren, midtown and downtown. All ages and skill levels are welcome as it is leisurely paced.

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)