Akha Journal: Are you committed to helping the Akha?

  • Matthew McDaniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2006
      Dear Friends:

      We continue to work to revitalize assistance to the Akha people.

      We will soon begin once again our mailings to Akha prisoners in Thailand. Please let us know if you would like to also write Akha prisoners.

      We will also be working more at the New York level of the UN to pressure Thailand for changes in the treatment of the Akha and regarding the issue of land rights.

      What we need is your committed financial support, no matter how small, to help guarantee that this work moves forward effectively.

      In the last year we have seen a number of people add their volunteer work to the effort, helping us to document and expose what is happening to the Akha.

      We continue to look for more volunteers who can help us to do research and investigations.

      There will be another documentary about the Akha coming out this fall. We look forward to that.

      Back in the US I am starting to get some time to work on the website some more, there are still hundreds of files I must transfer over from the old website and even more photos that I must organize into an html photo album.

      I continue to work on the burgeoning content of the 3rd Akha Journal, no print date in site yet.

      Two big projects that we are working on are the ACF and NCA absue cases in Laos and the case of Rotary, via the Rotarian Magazine, supporting the removal of Akha children at CGT Mission in Thailand as illustrated in their May Rotarian Magazine. Naturally Rotarian staff have immediately tried to evade the issue and keep it covered up, not that we have begun asking questions, in the hope that the rest of the Rotarians don't find out what they are REALLY doing at the magazine.

      We are also glad to know that a number of Akhas in the US are now getting together in person and on the phone. We continue to look for the Akha in Sacramento, and have been assured by the Hmong leader Mr. Vang Pao that it will be identified who they are and where they live, since Hmong in Sacramento stated that they knew the families.

      Please consider becoming a regular donor to this work.

      Donations can be made via the Paypal link.

      Sincerely,
      Matthew McDaniel

      The Akha Heritage Foundation.
      http://www.akha.org Akha Heritage Site.