Fw: CALLS NEEDED FOR CLEMENCY!

  • Anne Frasi
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2000
      From: LPDC <lpdc@...>
      To: <wolfheart@...>
      Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 5:50 PM
      Subject: CALLS NEEDED FOR CLEMENCY!

      202-456-1111 * 202-456-1111 * 202-456-1111 * 202-456-1111 *202-456-1111

      Dear Friends,

      We called the White House Comment Line this morning to urge the president to
      grant clemency to Leonard Peltier. We asked the operator if she was
      receiving many calls, and she replied that she is not. Let's get those
      phone banks cranked up again! Please be sure to make your call to the White
      House at least once a week, and have others do the same! Don't forget to
      let us know when the operators reveal anything reflecting the volume of
      calls being received. We must make sure at least 100 calls go in every
      single day, from now until the president leaves office (or signs the
      clemency of course). YOUR CALLS MATTER. Here is a reminder of the regional
      call-in days, and some tips on organizing phone banks. THANK YOU!

      northeast-Mondays.
      southeast-Tuesdays
      mid-west and international-Wednesdays
      northwest-Thursdays
      southwest call on Fridays.

      ORGANIZE PHONE BANKS:
      Each one of us needs to organize a small committee of friends to call on
      their day of the week. Once a week is enough, but you must convince your
      friends and family that they must really call, not just think about calling.
      This means getting them really mad about the case, and explaining to them
      that their calls really do have impact, and that these efforts are not a
      waste of time. Experience tells us that these calls are effective. Jennifer
      Harbury heard from US officials that the massive calling sessions during her
      hunger strikes in Guatemala played a critical role in forcing government
      action. The feedback from last fall was really good as well. Our friends in
      Congress have also let us know that a high volume of calls shows them that
      their voters are really interested in a given issue. If dozens of calls
      start coming in on the same issue, they pay careful attention. So for those
      of you who have limited time and want to help, please know how much your
      calls really matter. Try and get a group of ten committed people going in
      your area. Remind everyone each week to make their calls and ask them to let
      you know at the end of the day how the calls went. Getting feedback from our
      teams really helps us plan our strategies.

      Most people will feel more confident and involved if you give them some
      basic information before they start calling. Give them the 7 page fact
      summary to read, if they don¹t have time for one of the books. It is
      available on our web site (www.freepeltier.org under "Peltier FAQ), or you
      can call and ask us to mail it to you.

      Call the White House Comments Line Today
      Demand Justice for Leonard Peltier! 202-456-1111

      Be in New York City December 10th
      Peltier March For Freedom!

      Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
      PO Box 583