Hñähñu (Otomie) web page - new

  • ghwelker
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 11, 2014

      I dedicate this page to the Hñähñu (Otomie) People of Mexico, and to Denis Veri and his class at the
      "UNIVERSIDAD AUTÓNOMA DEL ESTADO DE HIDALGO" who gave me the inspiration to create it.

      The two most populous Otomie groups are the Highland or Sierra Otomí living in the mountains of La Huasteca and the Mezquital Otomí, living in the Mezquital Valley in the eastern part of the state of Hidalgo, and in the state of Querétaro. Sierra Otomí usually self identify as Ñuhu or Ñuhmu depending on the dialect they speak, whereas Mezquital Otomi self-identify as Hñähñu (pronounced [ʰɲɑ̃ʰɲũ]). Smaller Otomi populations exist in the states of Puebla, Mexico, Tlaxcala, Michoacán and Guanajuato. The Otomi language belonging to the Oto-Pamean branch of the Oto-Manguean language family is spoken in many different varieties some of which are not mutually intelligible.

      One of the early complex cultures of Mesoamerica, the Otomi were likely the original inhabitants of the central Mexican altiplano before the arrival of Nahuatl speakers around ca. 1000 AD, but gradually they were replaced and marginalized by Nahua peoples. In the colonial period Otomi speakers helped the Spanish conquistadors as mercenaries and allies, which allowed them to extend into territories that had previously been inhabited by semi-nomadic Chichimecs, for example Querétaro and Guanajuato.

      The Otomi traditionally worshipped the moon as their highest deity, and even into modern times many Otomi populations practice shamanism and hold prehispanic beliefs such as Nagualism. Otomies traditionally subsisted on maize, beans and squash as most Mesoamerican sedentary peoples, but the Maguey (Century Plant) was also an important cultigen used for production of alcohol (pulque) and fiber (henequen).

      http://indigenouspeople.net/Otomie/

    • ghwelker
      Message 32 of 32 , May 16, 2014
      • 1 Attachment
      • 158 KB
      Dear Friends:

      I am hoping you can provide me with some insight.

      I am Casting for a special project. I am looking for  MALES, 20s to 40s, a NATIVE AMERICAN descendent disconnected from their roots in South Dakota who are interested in taking a trip back to rediscover their ancestry and personal history.

      Travel and stipend will be provided.

      I have attached the casting flier below and hope to get the word out for this wonderful opportunity.

      If you have anyone in mind that would love to  be a part of this project, I would love to hear their story. If you can spread the word, it is much appreciated!

      THIS IS NOT A REALITY SHOW.

      Thank you in advance & I hope to hear from you soon.

      Have a beautiful day!

      Thank You,

      Toni Rose Lopez
      Casting Director