[WGAR-news] Australia: Inaugural Meeting of the Peoples Council of the Murrawarri Republic

  • WGAR News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18 7:16 PM
      Inaugural Meeting of the Peoples Council of the Murrawarri Republic

      Newsletter date: 19 July 2013

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/07/18/wgar-news-inaugural-meeting-of-the-peoples-council-of-the-murrawarri-republic

      Contents:

      * Murrawarri Republic: Inaugural Meeting of the Peoples Council of the Murrawarri Republic
      * Background to the Murrawarri Republic declaration

      * Michael Anderson, Sovereign Union: ILUA (Indigenous Land Use Agreement) = Indigenous Land Under Attack

      * Michael Anderson: Gomeroi Protest against Whitehaven Coal
      * Maules Creek Community Council: Aboriginal workers walk off the job - Whitehaven in protest at Maules Creek coal mine

      * Brisbane Blacks Monthly: Mabo Lawyer - Native Title Agreements Affirm the Sovereignty of the British Crown
      * Callum Clayton-Dixon, Brisbane Blacks Monthly: Demonstration against Native Title summit
      * Brisbane Blacks Monthly: PM Rudd pursues embassy peaceful protest

      * Jeff McMullen, The Stringer: A New Democracy "Imagine a country where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are recognised as the sovereign owners of lands ... "
      * Michael Anderson: A Sovereign Treaty is the only constitutional reform with the potential of justice for Aboriginal Nations and Peoples
      * Michael Anderson: Proposed constitutional reforms are treasonous and fraudulent
      * Celeste Liddle, The Guardian UK: Indigenous recognition debate deserves better than this political jostling
      * Katharine Murphy, The Guardian UK: Indigenous Australians deserve recognition, not posturing

      * Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies
      * Background to Mabo and Native Title

      * MURRAWARRI REPUBLIC:
      INAUGURAL MEETING OF THE PEOPLES COUNCIL OF THE MURRAWARRI REPUBLIC

      - Media Release

      Murrawarri Republic:
      Inaugural Meeting of the Peoples Council of the Murrawarri Republic

      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/inaugural-meeting-peoples-council-murrawarri-republic
      14 Jul 13: "The first meeting of the Peoples Council of the
      Murrawarri Republic was held at Weilmoringle on Saturday 13
      July 2013 where the Murrawarri Peoples have maintained
      continuous occupation, presence and possession of their
      Ancient Murrawarri Land, Subsurface, Waters, Natural
      Resources and Airspace.
      The Peoples Council formally passed a unanimous resolution
      to establish the Provisional Council of State.
      The newly formed Provisional Council of State is:
      Fred Hooper, Kevin Hooper, Phyllis Cubby, Evelyn Barker,
      Sam Jefferies, Desmond Jones, Phillip Sullivan,
      Julie Johnston, Gloria Johnston, Sharni Hooper, and
      Alison Salt. The Council of State also left positions
      vacant for other citizens to be appointed in the future.
      The Peoples Council formally elected Fred Hooper as the
      Chairman of the Provisional Council of State of the
      Murrawarri Republic.
      The Peoples Council also bestowed powers, similar to that
      of the President, under the draft Constitution upon the
      Chairman to lead the Murrawarri Republic into a new era of
      self-government and self-determination. ... "

      Click here for links to other articles and media on the
      Murrawarri Republic:

      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/inaugural-meeting-peoples-council-murrawarri-republic

      "Murrawarri Republic Articles:
      * Queen Recognises Republic
      * Murrawarri Republic Declaration
      * Claim renews campaign"

      "International Press:
      * A Bold Legal Push: 'Time' Magazine
      * Canada: 21 days to respond
      * Canada: Murrawarri declaration
      * Italy: Birth of Republic
      * Italy: New state - Old problem"

      "Multi-Media:
      * Audio - Murrawarri Republic
      * Murrawarri Republic Image Gallery
      * Video - YouTube Reports"

      See:

      The Murrawarri Republic Website:
      http://kyliegibbon4.wix.com/murrawarri-republic

      Murrawarri Republic - Facebook
      https://www.facebook.com/MurrawarriRepublic

      * BACKGROUND TO THE MURRAWARRI REPUBLIC DECLARATION:

      Last updated: 3 June 2013

      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/04/20/the-murrawarri-republic-declaration

      * MICHAEL ANDERSON, SOVEREIGN UNION:
      ILUA (INDIGENOUS LAND USE AGREEMENT) = INDIGENOUS LAND UNDER ATTACK

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Sovereign Union:
      ILUA (Indigenous Land Use Agreement) = Indigenous Land Under Attack

      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/ilua-indigenous-land-use-agreement-indigenous-land-under-attack
      2 Jul 13: "Native Title lawyers and anthropologists are
      deceiving claimants of their true Native Title rights and
      interests ... Native Title in Australia serves only to
      legally divest First Nations Peoples of their true inherent
      rights. These denials have serious ramifications for our
      people, economically, socially, culturally, politically. ...
      As sure as day follows night, if our own legal strategy
      leads to a class action against Native Title lawyers and
      anthropologists, then we will prosecute it in the most
      vigorous manner. Enough is enough and when you have legal
      firms from within the country deceiving the people who
      trust in their advice, then every effort must be made to
      correct this modern day crime against humanity."
      Michael Ghillar Anderson,
      Convenor, Sovereign Union of First Nations and Peoples in Australia

      * MICHAEL ANDERSON:
      GOMEROI PROTEST AGAINST WHITEHAVEN COAL

      - Media Release

      Gomeroi Protest against Whitehaven Coal
      Sovereign Union: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/gomeroi-protest-against-whitehaven-coal-gunnedah-13-july-2013
      9 Jul 13: "Michael Anderson from Bundaberg, Qld ...
      "I have been talking with our Gomeroi people for the last
      four days over their grave concerns that Whitehaven Coal
      mining company is about to begin destroying 7000 hectares
      of Leard State Forest, 25 km northeast of Gunnedah
      The Gomeroi community of Gunnedah and surrounding areas
      have been shocked that Whitehaven Coal are commencing
      mining activities on land that is especially culturally
      significant to the Gomeroi People, despite a recent Gomeroi
      nation meeting calling on a mining freeze and instructing
      NSW Native Title Services Corp (NSW NTS Corp) to apply for
      an interlocutory injunction to be placed on any and all
      development in the Gomeroi Nation until Native Title is
      determined. ...
      It is evident that the NSW NTSCorp has failed to have any
      significant impact in protecting the Gomeroi Nation's
      Native Title interests against this multinational coal
      mining corporation. ... "

      * MAULES CREEK COMMUNITY COUNCIL:
      ABORIGINAL WORKERS WALK OFF THE JOB
      - WHITEHAVEN IN PROTEST AT MAULES CREEK COAL MINE

      - Media Release

      Maules Creek Community Council ...
      Aboriginal workers walk off the job
      - Whitehaven in protest at Maules Creek coal mine

      Sovereign Union: [scroll down page] http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/gomeroi-protest-against-whitehaven-coal-gunnedah-13-july-2013
      8 Jul 13: "Over fifty Gomeroi Traditional Owners, Senior
      Elders, Elders, Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal community
      members and families have formed a picket line at
      Whitehaven Coal near Gunnedah in north-west NSW this
      morning amid a stop work action in protest of the Maules
      Creek Coal Mine and the incomplete and disrespectful
      cultural heritage process.
      Whitehaven announced last week that they had obtained all
      extra approvals needed to commence construction on the
      Maules Creek Coal Mine. Traditional Owners are unhappy at
      the failure of Whitehaven to conduct rigorous cultural
      heritage surveys or to properly consult them about the mine
      plans, joining local farmers and environmentalists in
      opposing the mine.
      "Our people who were working for Whitehaven Coal have
      walked off the job and we are determined to fight this
      Maules Creek mine until they show respect to the Gomeroi
      people and our culture,” said Gomeroi Traditional Owner
      Stephen Talbot. ... "

      See:

      Sovereign Union: Protesters: Maules Creek mining activites threatens local indigenous culture and history
      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/node/623

      Sovereign Union: Goomeroi People call for a mining freeze on sacred lands
      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/goomeroi-people-call-mining-freeze-sacred-lands

      * BRISBANE BLACKS MONTHLY:
      MABO LAWYER
      - NATIVE TITLE AGREEMENTS AFFIRM THE SOVEREIGNTY OF THE BRITISH CROWN

      - Interview

      Brisbane Blacks Monthly:
      Mabo Lawyer
      - Native Title Agreements Affirm the Sovereignty of the British Crown

      http://brisbaneblacksmonthly.weebly.com/mabo-lawyer---native-title-agreements-affirm-the-sovereignty-of-the-british-crown.html
      1 Jul 13: "First Nations Telegraph talked to Greg McIntyre
      QC at the 5th Annual Native Title Law Summit in Brisbane on
      June 17 about Aboriginal sovereignty in action. Mr McIntyre
      assisted Eddie Mabo in his High Court case which overturned
      the legal doctrine of Terra Nullius.
      FNT: How do you think the sovereignty argument and push for
      a Treaty fits with Native Title?
      McIntyre: Not at all really - Native Title is based on the
      assumption of the sovereignty of the British Crown.
      Aboriginal people, if they’re claiming sovereignty, have to
      front up to the Australian Government and say 'we are a
      competing sovereign with you. ... "

      * CALLUM CLAYTON-DIXON, BRISBANE BLACKS MONTHLY:
      DEMONSTRATION AGAINST NATIVE TITLE SUMMIT

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Brisbane Blacks Monthly:
      Demonstration against Native Title summit

      http://brisbaneblacksmonthly.weebly.com/demonstration-against-native-title-summit.html
      1 Jul 13: "Members and supporters of the Brisbane
      Aboriginal Sovereign Embassy protested outside a Native
      Title meeting in Brisbane yesterday. The 5th Annual Native
      Title Law Summit was held at the Stamford Plaza over June
      17 & 18. Embassy spokesperson and Gamilaraay man Boe
      Spearim, said the group was "showing our disgust in Native
      Title". "They’re trying to legitimise their legal standing
      on Aboriginal country. When the Mabo decision (1992) was
      handed down, we all know the myth of Terra Nullius was
      busted. ... " Callum Clayton-Dixon, Nganyaywana

      * BRISBANE BLACKS MONTHLY:
      PM RUDD PURSUES EMBASSY PEACEFUL PROTEST

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Brisbane Blacks Monthly:
      PM Rudd pursues embassy peaceful protest

      http://brisbaneblacksmonthly.weebly.com/pm-rudd-pursues-embassy-peaceful-protest.html
      1 Jul 13: "On again - off again Prime Minister Kevin Rudd
      is pursuing members of the Brisbane Aboriginal Sovereign
      Embassy (BASE) after they conducted a peaceful sit-in at
      his office in February this year. In one case the
      Queensland Police prosecution have been instructed to
      appeal the 'not guilty' decision for one of the embassy
      protesters and in another case they are using racist
      stereotypes to target a nationally recognised leader of
      the First Nations Sovereignty movement with a bogus
      assault charge."

      * JEFF MCMULLEN, THE STRINGER:
      A NEW DEMOCRACY

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Stringer: A New Democracy
      http://thestringer.com.au/a-new-democracy/
      10 Jul 13: "Imagine a country where Aboriginal and Torres
      Strait Islander people are recognised as the sovereign
      owners of lands they have lived on for sixty thousand years
      or more. Imagine the freedom to be yourself, culturally,
      spiritually, linguistically, regardless of your age,
      gender, colour or ethnic origin. Imagine a Constitution that
      enshrines these human rights and upholds all of our
      international legal obligations. Imagine a constitutional
      prohibition on discrimination on the basis of race, colour,
      religion, ethnic or national origin. Imagine a positive
      mandate in that Constitution ... " By Jeff McMullen

      Jeff McMullen
      Reporter. Author. Speaker.
      Advocate for Human Rights, Education & Health.
      http://www.jeffmcmullen.com.au/
      "Jeff McMullen has been a journalist, author and filmmaker
      for the last 45 years, including  long-running positions as
      ABC Foreign Correspondent and reporter for Four Corners and
      Sixty Minutes. Throughout his professional life, Jeff has
      written, filmed and campaigned around the world to improve
      the health, education and human rights of Indigenous
      people."

      * MICHAEL ANDERSON:
      A SOVEREIGN TREATY IS THE ONLY CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM
      WITH THE POTENTIAL OF JUSTICE FOR ABORIGINAL NATIONS AND PEOPLES

      - Statement

      Michael Anderson:
      A Sovereign Treaty is the only constitutional reform
      with the potential of justice for Aboriginal Nations and Peoples

      Sovereign Union: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/sovereign-treaty-only-constitutional-reform-potential-justice-aboriginal-nations-and-peoples
      23 Jun 12: "Tinkering at the edges of a profoundly racist
      constitution is no solution for Aboriginal and Torres Strait
      Islander Nations and Peoples. A Sovereign Treaty negotiated
      under international supervision is the only constitutional
      reform with the potential of justice for Aboriginal Nations
      and Peoples. ...
      Aboriginal Nations and Peoples are now uniting across this
      continent in an organic movement under the banner of our
      continuing sovereignty. We have created an Interim National
      Unity Government, which is designing a program to travel
      throughout Australia and have meetings with our grassroots
      communities, educating them about our sovereign position and
      what it means to assert sovereignty as nations and Peoples."

      * MICHAEL ANDERSON:
      PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS ARE TREASONOUS AND FRAUDULENT

      - Media Release

      Michael Anderson:
      Proposed constitutional reforms are treasonous and fraudulent

      Sovereign Union: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/proposed-constitutional-reforms-are-treasonous-and-fraudulent
      20 Jan 12: "This is a treasonous act and proposal against
      Aboriginal peoples, because it is not representative of
      Aboriginal interests across the nation. It fails to deal
      with the central and substantive issue of sovereignty and
      true land rights. ...
      We have a right to be self-determining as sovereign nations
      and the governments around this country will hear this in
      2012. We need to stop the Labor party and the National
      Liberal party coalition from being tyrannical towards
      Aboriginal peoples.
      Our lives, our identity as a distinct race of people and
      the oldest living culture in the world are at risk right
      now. No type of constitutional reform can change who we are.
      We have a right to exist as distinct, identifiable peoples
      within Australia and the world and no amount of
      constitutional reform will take away our sovereignty and
      our dominion over our lands, waters, natural resources
      and biodiversity."

      * CELESTE LIDDLE, THE GUARDIAN UK:
      INDIGENOUS RECOGNITION DEBATE DESERVES BETTER THAN THIS POLITICAL JOSTLING

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Guardian UK:
      Indigenous recognition debate deserves better than this political jostling

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/11/indigenous-recognition-debate-rudd-abbott
      11 Jul 13: "In short, whilst the treaty would be a
      negotiated and agreed upon document between Indigenous and
      non-Indigenous Australia, the current constitution is not.
      ... It is rather significant that this political battle
      between Rudd and Abbott has happened during a NAIDOC Week,
      which has chosen to honour the 50th anniversary of the
      Yirrkala Bark petitions. The cause contained within those
      petitions - land rights - has already been struck off the
      list of things that could be recognised within the
      constitution. This in itself poses questions regarding the
      limitations of recognition to a number of people."
      Celeste Liddle, an Arrernte Australian woman living in Melbourne,
      current National Indigenous Organiser for the
      National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU)

      See:

      WGAR News: Land rights are empty, Yolngu elder tells Rudd on bark petition anniversary: Oliver Laughland, The Guardian UK (14 Jul 13 NAIDOC Week)
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/07/14/wgar-news-land-rights-are-empty-yolngu-elder-tells-rudd-on-bark-petition-anniversary-guar

      * KATHARINE MURPHY, THE GUARDIAN UK:
      INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIANS DESERVE RECOGNITION, NOT POSTURING

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Guardian UK:
      Indigenous Australians deserve recognition, not posturing

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/10/indigenous-australians-constitutional-recognition-posturing
      10 Jul 13: "Indigenous people deserve a simple clean
      outcome: recognition in Australia’s foundation legal
      document.
      They do not deserve more posturing and brinkmanship. God
      knows, there’s been enough of that." Katharine Murphy,
      deputy political editor for Guardian Australia,
      2008 Paul Lyneham award for excellence in press gallery journalism,
      2012 Walkley award finalist in the best digital journalism category

      The Guardian UK:
      Kevin Rudd questions Tony Abbott's intentions on Indigenous recognition

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/10/kevin-rudd-abbott-indigenous-recognition
      10 Jul 13: "PM infuriates opposition leader by seeming to
      doubt his support for constitutional recognition of
      Indigenous Australians ... But despite facing criticism
      from conservative commentators and from some players on his
      own side about the issue of recognition of Indigenous
      Australians, Abbott has shown no sign whatsoever of
      retreating from his public support for that proposed reform.
      Up until Wednesday morning, the substantive and political
      debate on Indigenous recognition has been solidly
      bipartisan." Katharine Murphy,
      deputy political editor for Guardian Australia,
      2008 Paul Lyneham award for excellence in press gallery journalism,
      2012 Walkley award finalist in the best digital journalism category

      See:

      WGAR News: Rudd hails 'Aboriginal Magna Carta': Kathy Marks, The New Zealand Herald (15 Jul 13)
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/07/14/wgar-news-rudd-hails-aboriginal-magna-carta-kathy-marks-the-new-zealand-herald

      * BACKGROUND TO THE ABORIGINAL SOVEREIGNTY MOVEMENT
      AND THE ABORIGINAL TENT EMBASSIES:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/22/background-to-the-aboriginal-sovereignty-movement-and-the-aboriginal-tent-embassies

      * BACKGROUND TO MABO AND NATIVE TITLE:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/07/02/background-to-mabo-and-native-title

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
      * Aboriginal land rights and mining;
      * Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      - - -

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      - - -

      You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact.

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)