National Indian Organizations !

  • ghwelker
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 3, 2013

      http://www.ncai.org/tribal-directory/tribal-organizations

      Regional Intertribal Organizations

      Affiliated Tribes of the Northwest Indianswww.atnitribes.org
      Alaska Federation of Nativeswww.nativefederation.org
      Alaska Inter-Tribal Councilwww.aitc.org
      All Indian Pueblo Councilwww.20pueblos.org
      California Association of Tribal Governmentswww.catg.us
      California Tribal Business Alliancewww.caltba.org
      Council of Confederated Chilocco Tribeswww.chiloccotribes.org
      Eight Tribes Intertribal Council
      Great Lakes Intertribal Councilwww.glitc.org
      Great Plains Tribal Chairman's Association
      Intertribal Council of Arizonawww.itcaonline.com
      Intertribal Council of Californiawww.itccinc.org
      Intertribal Council of Michigan, Inc.www.itcmi.org
      Intertribal Council of Nevadawww.itcn.org
      Intertribal Council of Northeast Oklahoma
      Intertribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes
      Midwest Alliance of Sovereign Tribeswww.m-a-s-t.org
      Montana-Wyoming Tribal Leader's Councilwww.mtwytlc.com
      Southern California Tribal Chairmen's Associationwww.sctca.net
      Tribal Alliance of Sovereign Indian Nationswww.tasin.org
      United South and Eastern Tribeswww.usetinc.org
      United Tribes of Michiganwww.unitedtribesofmichigan.org
      United Tribes of North Dakotawww.uttc.edu

      National Indian Organizations

      American Indian Alaska Native Employee Associationwww.aianea.com
      American Indian Business Leaderswww.aibl.org
      American Indian College Fundwww.collegefund.org
      American Indian Higher Education Consortiumwww.aihec.org
      American Indian Science and Engineering Societywww.aises.org
      American Indian Societywww.aisdc.org
      Americans for Indian Opportunitywww.aio.org
      Association on American Indian Affairswww.indian-affairs.org
      Center for Indigenous Law, Governance & Citizenship
      Center for Native American Youthwww.cnay.org
      Center for World Indigenous Studieswww.cwis.org
      Council for Hawaiian Advancementwww.hawaiiancouncil.org
      Council for Tribal Employment Rightswww.ctertero.org
      Council of Energy Resource Tribeswww.certredearth.com
      Council of Large Land Base Tribes
      First Nations Development Institutewww.firstnations.org
      First Nations Oweesta Corporationwww.oweesta.org
      First Peoples Fundwww.firstpeoplesfund.org
      Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Developmentwww.hks.harvard.edu/hpaied
      Honoring Contributions in the Governance of Native Nationswww.hks.harvard.edu/hpaied
      Indian Land Tenure Foundationwww.iltf.org
      Indian Land Working Groupwww.indianlandworkinggroup.wordpress.com
      Indian Law Resource Centerwww.indianlaw.org
      Indian Nations Conservation Alliancewww.inca-tcd.org
      Institute for Indian Estate Planning and Probatewww.indianwills.org
      Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionalswww.nau.edu/itep
      Intertribal Agriculture Councilwww.indianaglink.com
      InterTribal Buffalo Councilwww.itbcbison.com
      Intertribal Council on Utility Policywww.intertribalcoup.org
      Intertribal Tax Alliancewww.indiantax.org
      Intertribal Timber Councilwww.itcnet.org
      Intertribal Transportation Association
      Intertribal Trust Fund Monitoring Associationwww.itmatrustfunds.org
      National American Indian Court Judges Association www.naicja.org
      National American Indian Housing Councilwww.naihc.net
      National Association of Tribal Historic Preservation Officerswww.nathpo.org
      National Caucus of Native American Legislatorswww.nativeamericanlegislators.org
      National Center for American Indian Enterprise Developmentwww.ncaied.org
      National Congress of American Indianswww.ncai.org
      National Council of Urban Indian Healthwww.ncuih.org
      National Indian Business Associationwww.nibanetwork.org
      National Indian Child Welfare Associationwww.nicwa.org
      National Indian Council on Agingwww.nicoa.org
      National Indian Education Associationwww.niea.org
      National Indian Gaming Associationwww.niga.org
      National Indian Health Boardwww.nihb.org
      National Indian Justice Centerwww.nijc.org
      National Native American AIDS Prevention Centerwww.nnaapc.org
      National Native American Bar Associationwww.nativeamericanbar.org
      National Native American EMS Associationwww.nnaemsa.org
      National Tribal Air Associationwww.ntaatribalair.org
      National Tribal Environmental Councilwww.ntec.org
      Native American Boys and Girls Club of Americawww.naclubs.org
      Native American Contractors Associationwww.nativecontractors.org
      Native American Finance Officers Associationwww.nafoa.org
      Native American Fish & Wildlife Societywww.nafws.org
      Native American Journalists Associationwww.naja.com
      Native American Public Telecommunicationswww.nativetelecom.org
      Native American Rights Fundwww.narf.org
      Native Americans in Philanthropywww.nativephilanthropy.org
      Native Arts and Culture Foundationwww.nativeartsandcultures.org
      Native Community Development Financial Institutions Network
      Native Nations Institutewww.nni.arizona.edu
      Native Nations Law and Policy Center
      Native Public Mediawww.nativepublicmedia.org
      Native Workplacewww.nativeworkplace.com
      Self-Governance Communication and Outreach Consortiumwww.tribalselfgov.org
      Seventh Generation Fund for Indian Development, Inc.www.7genfund.org
      Society of American Indian Government Employeeswww.saige.org
      The Institute for Tribal Government-The Hatfield School of Governmentwww.tribalgov.pdx.edu
      Tribal Child Care Technical Assistance Centerwww.nccic.org/tribal
      Tribal Law and Policy Institutewww.tlpi.org
      United National Indian Tribal Youth, Inc. (Unity)www.unityinc.org
      Women Empowering Women for Indian Nations - WEWINwww.wewin04.org

    • ghwelker
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 18, 2013

        Lion Conservation

        Picture of lion attack victim who lost his arms

        http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/lion-conservation/quammen-text

        When people and lions collide, both suffer.

        By David Quammen

        Photograph by Brent Stirton

        Lions are complicated creatures, magnificent at a distance yet fearsomely inconvenient to the rural peoples whose fate is to live among them. They are lords of the wild savanna but inimical to pastoralism and incompatible with farming. So it’s no wonder their fortunes have trended downward for as long as human civilization has been trending up.

        There’s evidence across at least three continents of the lions’ glory days and their decline. Chauvet Cave, in southern France, filled with vivid Paleolithic paintings of wildlife, shows us that lions inhabited Europe along with humans 30 millennia ago; the Book of Daniel suggests that lions lurked at the outskirts of Babylon in the sixth century B.C.; and there are reports of lions surviving in Syria, Turkey, Iraq, and Iran until well into the 19th or 20th centuries. Africa alone, during this long ebb, remained the reliable heartland.

        But that has changed too. New surveys and estimates suggest that the lion has disappeared from about 80 percent of its African range. No one knows how many lions survive today in Africa—as many as 35,000?—because wild lions are difficult to count. Experts agree, though, that just within recent decades the overall total has declined significantly. The causes are multiple—including habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching of lion prey for bush meat, poachers’ snares that catch lions instead, displacement of lion prey by livestock, disease, spearing or poisoning of lions in retaliation for livestock losses and attacks upon humans, ritual killing of lions (notably within the Maasai tradition), and unsustainable trophy hunting for lions, chiefly by affluent Americans.

        The new assessments, compiled by scientists from Panthera (an international felid conservation group), Duke University, the National Geographic Society’s Big Cats Initiative, and elsewhere, indicate that African lions now live in nearly 70 distinct areas (view map), the largest and most secure of which can be considered strongholds. But the smallest contain only tiny populations, isolated, genetically limited, and lacking viability for the long term. In other words, the African lion inhabits an archipelago of insular refuges, and more than a few of those marooned populations may soon go extinct.

        What can be done to stanch the losses and reverse the trend? Some experts say we should focus efforts on the strongholds, such as the Serengeti ecosystem (spanning Tanzania to Kenya), the Selous ecosystem (southeastern Tanzania), the Ruaha-Rungwa (western Tanzania), the Okavango-Hwange (Botswana into Zimbabwe), and the Greater Limpopo (at the shared corners of Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and South Africa, including Kruger National Park). Those five ecosystems alone account for roughly half of Africa’s lions, and each contains a genetically viable population. Craig Packer has offered a drastic suggestion for further protecting some strongholds: Fence them, or at least some of their margins. Investing conservation dollars in chain-link and posts, combined with adequate levels of patrolling and repair, he argues, is the best way to limit illegal entry into protected areas by herders, their livestock, and poachers, as well as reckless exit from those areas by lions.

        Other experts strongly disagree. In fact, this fencing idea goes against three decades of conservation theory, which stresses the importance of connectedness among habitat patches. Packer knows that, and even he wouldn’t put a fence across any valuable route of wildlife dispersal or migration. But consider, for instance, the western boundary of the Serengeti ecosystem, where the Maswa Game Reserve meets the Sukuma agricultural lands beyond. If you fly over that area at low elevation, you’ll see the boundary as a stark edge, delineated by the slash of a red clay road. East of it lies the rolling green terrain of Maswa, covered with acacia woodlands and lush savanna, a virtual extension of Serengeti National Park. West of the road, in the Sukuma zone, you’ll look down on mile after mile of cotton fields, cornfields, teams of oxen plowing bare dirt, paddies, and brown-and-white cows standing in pens. A fence along that boundary, as Packer asserts, could do no harm and possibly some good. It may be a special case, but it’s enough to open a heated discussion.

        Trophy hunting is also controversial. Does it contribute to population declines because of irresponsible overharvesting? Or does it effectively monetize the lion, bringing cash into local and national economies and providing an incentive for habitat protection and sustainable long-term management? The answer depends—on particulars of place, on which lions are targeted (old males or young ones), and on the integrity of management, both by the hunting operator and by the national wildlife agency. Certainly there are abuses—countries in which hunting concessions are granted corruptly, situations in which little or no hunting income reaches the local people who pay the real costs of living amid lions, concessions on which too many lions are killed. But in places such as Maswa Game Reserve—where hunts are scrupulously managed in cooperation with the Friedkin Conservation Fund, an organization that cares more about habitat protection than about revenue—the effect of a ban on hunting would be perverse.

        Hunting of captive-bred lions released into fenced areas on private ranches, as now widely practiced in South Africa, raises a whole different set of questions. In a recent year 174 such lion-breeding ranches operated in the country, with a combined stock of more than 3,500 lions. Proponents argue that this industry may contribute to lion conservation by diverting trophy-hunt pressure from wild populations and by maintaining genetic diversity that could be needed later. Others fear it may undercut the economics of lion management in, say, Tanzania, by offering cheaper and easier ways to put a lion head on your rec-room wall.

        And then there’s the matter of what happens to the rest of the lion. The export of lion bones from South Africa to Asia, where they are sold as an alternative to tiger bones, constitutes a dangerous trend that surely increases demand.

        Bottom line: Lion conservation is an intricate enterprise that must now reach across borders, across oceans, and across disciplines to confront a global market in dreams of the wild.

        But conservation begins at home, among people for whom the sublime and terrifying wildness of a lion is no dream. One set of such people are the Maasai who inhabit group ranches bordering Amboseli National Park, on the thornbush plains of southern Kenya. Since 2007 a program there called Lion Guardians has recruited Maasai warriors—young men for whom lion killing has traditionally been part of a rite of passage known as olamayio—to serve instead as lion protectors. These men, paid salaries, trained in radiotelemetry and GPS use, track lions on a daily basis and prevent lion attacks on livestock. The program, small but astute, seems to be succeeding: Lion killings have decreased, and the role of Lion Guardian is now prestigious within those communities.

        I spent a day recently with a Lion Guardian named Kamunu, roughly 30 years old, serious and steady, whose dark face tapered to a narrow chin and whose eyes seemed permanently squinted against sentiment and delusion. He wore a beaded necklace, beaded earrings, and a red shuka wrapped around him; a Maasai dagger was sheathed on his belt at one side, a cell phone at the other. Kamunu had personally killed five lions, he told me, all for olamayio, but he didn’t intend to kill any more. He had learned that lions could be more valuable alive—in money from tourism, wages from Lion Guardians, and the food and education such cash could buy for a man’s family.

        We walked a long circuit that very hot day, winding through acacia bush, crossing a dry riverbed, Kamunu following lion spoor in the dust and me following him. Probably we traipsed about 16 miles. In the morning we tracked a lone adult, recognizable to Kamunu from its big pug as a certain problematic male. When we met a long line of cows headed for water, their bells clanking, attended by several Maasai boys, Kamunu warned the boys to stay clear of that lion.

        Around midday he picked up a different trail, very fresh, left by a female with two cubs. We saw her flattened day bed in the herbage beneath a bush. We traced her sinuous route into a grove of scrubby myrrh trees that grew thicker as we went. Kamunu moved quietly. Finally we stopped. I saw nothing but vegetation and dirt.

        They’re very close, he explained. This is a good spot. No livestock nearby. We don’t want to push any closer. We don’t want to disturb them. No, we don’t, I agreed.

        “We think they are safe here,” he told me. It’s more than can be said for many African lions, but at that moment, in that place, it was enough.