Little School of Freedom According to the Zapatistas !

  • ghwelker
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 11:46 AM

      Zapatista ProjectsChiapas TravelPhoto GalleriesResourcesGet InvolvedAbout UsStore
      Education, Mayan Corn and Organic Agriculture
      Travel Progam ~ Sunday, July 28 to Saturday, August 3, 2013

      Plant a seed of hope and learn about sustainable agriculture from the people who invented corn. There will be a special emphasis on the ancient Mayan agricultural system of the milpa and how today's Zapatista students are using the knowledge of their ancestors in conjunction with modern scientific experimentation.

      Participants in delegation #112 may be able to meet with some students and promoters of ecological agriculture who specialize in fields such as: corn, bees, natural plague control, coffee, and others.  However this is a moment of great mobilization within the Zapatista communities and many activists could be unavailable for extensive meetings.  To take our knowledge beyond that of intellectual understanding, we will assist in projects relating to the preservation of the natural environment and the people who live closest to it.

      No special linguistic skills, construction, or artistic experience are required.  Basketball, rural cooking, and dancing skills ~ plus a sense of humor are very useful; patience and resilience are required!  Respect for Mayan community authorities and processes are vital.   An experienced, full time translator/guide will live and travel along with the delegation.  Delegates will sleep and eat in rustic buildings or tents in isolated rural, Zapatista civilian centers and communities.

      Cost
      Two weeks of the minimum weekly wage of each participants home.  For example U.S. residents pay $7.50 X 40 hours = $300 X 2 weeks = $600 USD. (Airfare not included.) Note:  Cost varies by country of residence because the price is equal to two weeks of the minimum wage of the resident country.  Price includes ground transportation after arriving in San Cristobal, two meals a day, sleeping in rustic buildings or tents, six days with full time guide/translator, coordination of delegation, and donation to an autonomous Mayan educational project.

      Getting there and getting away
      Delegation will begin at 5pm, Sunday, August 12, 2012  in the tourist destination city of Palenque, Chiapas, Mexico (exact meeting place to be announced). The closest airport to Palenque, is Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico and participants should allow two hours for travel between Villahermosa and Palenque.  Long distance buses to and from Mexico City or Cancun to and from San Cristobal de las Casas are also available.

        Click here to begin a travel application
      Like us on Facebook
      Zapatista Governments, Education and Health
      Travel Program ~ Sunday, Aug. 4 to Saturday, August 10, 2013

      Celebrate 10th anniversary of Zapatista civilian governments and learn about the top two priorities of the Zapatista movement (education and health).

       Click here to begin a travel application

      Participants may meet with some indigenous Zapatista activists, however thousands of Zapatista leaders will be preparing to launch the "Little School of Freedom According to the Zapatistas" and could be unavailable.

      However we will do our best to help delegates gain an understanding of the workings of the Zapatista government structures and how they have created autonomous systems to advance their communities.  There will be an optional service project in conjunction with this trip and participation in parties celebrating the 10th anniversary of the good government boards.

      As Sub Commander Marcos said, "we are making an invitation for August of this year, 2013, on the 10th birthday of the Good Government Councils, who will have achieved 10 years of emancipatory autonomy; and that there will be a small party in the Zapatista communities; and that around those dates it rains a lot, and that other than dignity the only thing that is abundant here is mud, then when you come, bring what is necessary so that you don't become the color of the earth."  So yes, be prepared for rain and mud."

      In addition, delegates my choose an city based option and stay in a comfortable hotel taking day trips into Zapatista communities.

      No special linguistic skills, construction, or artistic experience are required.  Basketball, rural cooking, and dancing skills ~ plus a sense of humor are very useful; patience and resilience are required!  Respect for Mayan community authorities and processes are vital.   An experienced, fulltime translator/guide will live and travel along with the delegation.  Delegates will sleep and eat in rustic buildings or tents in isolated rural, Zapatista civilian centers and communities.  There will be an optional service project in conjunction with this trip.  In addition, delegations my choose an city based option and stay in a comfortable hotel taking day trips into Zapatista communities. Successful participants may be able to arrange extended volunteer work in Chiapas after participating in this delegation.

      Cost
      Two weeks of the minimum weekly wage of each participants home.  For example U.S. residents pay $7.50 X 40 hours = $300 X 2 weeks = $600 USD. (Airfare not included.) Note:  Cost varies by country of residence because the price is equal to two weeks of the minimum wage of the resident country.  Price includes ground transportation after arriving in Palenque, Mexico, two meals a day, sleeping in rustic buildings or tents, six days with full time guide/translator, coordination of delegation, and donation to an autonomous Mayan educational project. There will be an additional one-time fee of $400 for those choosing to stay in a comfortable city hotel with day trips to the countryside.

      Delegation will begin at 5pm, Sunday, Aug. 4  in the tourist destination city of San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico (exactly meeting place to be announced) and will end on Saturday, Aug. 10, 2012 in the same city. The closest airport to San Cristobal is Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico.  Long distance buses to and from Mexico City, Cancun and San Cristobal de las Casas are also readily available.

        Click here to begin a travel application

      Below you will find a variety of recent communications from the Zapatistas.

      The Little School of Freedom According to the Zapatistas
      Sub commander Moises writes about dates and details

      ZAPATISTA ARMY FOR  NATIONAL LIBERATION

      MEXICO.  March, 2013.

      Compañeras and compañeros, brothers and sisters of the Sixth:

      Regarding visits, caravans, and projects.

      As you all know, we are preparing our classes for the little schools; that is what we will be focusing on for now so that they turn out well and make for good students.

      And we, together with the [autonomous] authorities, think that there are things that we will not be able to attend to so as not to distract ourselves from this task, for example: agreeing to do interviews, or exchanging experiences, or receiving caravans, or work teams, or discussing ideas for a project. So please don't make a trip here for nothing, because neither the Junta de Buen Gobierno [Good Government Council], the autonomous authorities, nor the project commissions will be able to attend to you in these matters.

      If a person, group, or collective is thinking of bringing a caravan with some kind of support for the communities, we ask you to please wait for the appropriate time, or if you have already arranged the trip, then please leave whatever you bring in CIDECI, with Doctor Raymundo, in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico.

      We aren't saying that caravans of support can never come, but they CAN'T come now, because we want to focus on the little school. We want to let you know this, so that you don't misunderstand why you are not attended to.

      We want to let you know this so that you don't plan trips that require conversations with our authorities; we won't be able to attend to you for the simple reason that all of our efforts will go toward our little school, which is for you, for Mexico and the world, and that is why we are directing all our efforts there.

      So while we will be in the Juntas de Buen Gobierno of the 5 caracoles; we won't be able to attend to you, but you can visit the caracoles.

      The same goes for ongoing projects in the 5 Juntas, there are things that we won't be able to attend to, we can only do what is within our ability and which does not require consultations or a lot of movement for our people. If something does require these things, it will be tended to at another time.

      We want you to understand us; for us, it is not the time for caravans, projects, interviews, exchanges of experiences, or other things. For us Zapatistas (women and men), it is time to prepare for the little school. We WON'T have time for other things, unless the bad government wants to really mess with us and then yes, that would change things.

      We believe that you, compañeras and compañeros, brothers and sisters, understand us.

      Regarding the School

      Here we will give you the first details about the little school, so that those of you who will take classes can begin to make preparations.

      1. Everyone who feels convoked is invited to the fiesta of the Caracoles. The fiesta will be in all 5 caracoles, so you can go to whichever you want. The arrival date will be August 8th, the fiesta will be on the 9th and 10th, and the return date will be the 11th. Note: The fiesta to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Caracoles is not the same thing as the little school. Don't confuse them.

      2. With this fiesta, the Zapatista bases of support celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Juntas de Buen Gobierno, but not only that.

      3. These days will be the beginning of our little school, which is very other, where our bosses-that is to say, the Zapatista bases of support-will give classes on their thought and action on liberty according to Zapatismo: their successes, their failures, their problems, their solutions, the things which have moved forward, the things that have gotten bogged down, and the things that are missing, because what is missing is yet to come.

      4. The first course (we will have many, depending on when those who attend are able), of the first level is 7 days long, including the arrival and departure time. The arrival date will be August 11th, the class begins on August 12th, 2013 and ends on August 16th, 2013. And the departure date will be August 17th, 2013. Those who finish the course and would like to stay longer can visit the other caracoles outside of where they had their course. The course is the same in all of the caracoles, but people can visit caracoles different from the one they were assigned, but at that point they will be on their own.

      5. Little by little, we will explain how registration works for the little school of liberty according to the Zapatistas, but we will let you know now that it is laic and free of cost. The pre-registration will be with the Support Teams of the Sixth Commission, national and international, on the Enlace Zapatista web page, and by email. Students will then register at CIDECI, in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas. We will begin sending the invitations, according to our capacities, as of March 18, 2013.

      6.  The school is not open to anyone who wants to come; rather, we will invite people directly. We will take care of these compas who we invite, we will give them food, a place to sleep that is clean and satisfactory, and we will give each of them a guardian (or guardiana), their own "Votán,"[i] who will make sure that they are well and that they don't suffer too much in the class, only a little, but always, yes, some.

      7. The students will need to study very hard. The first level has 4 themes: Autonomous Government I, Autonomous Government II, Participation of Women in Autonomous Government, and Resistance. Each theme has its own textbook. The textbooks have between 60 and 80 pages each, and the parts that SupMarcos already gave you to look at are only a tiny part of each book (3 or 4 pages). Each textbook costs 20 pesos, which is what we calculated as the cost of production.

      8. This first level of the course lasts for 7 days and/or however much time a compa has available, because we know people have their work, their family, their struggle, their commitments, that is to say, their own calendar and geography.

      9. The first course is only first grade, there is still much more to come, meaning that the school isn't finished quickly; it will take a long time. Whoever passes the first level can go on to the second one.

      10. Regarding costs: each compa has to cover their own costs to get to CIDECI, in San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, and to get back to their corner of the world. From CIDECI they will go to the little school to which they are assigned and when they finish, they will return to CIDECI and from there each one will go home. In the school, which is in the village, they won't want for anything; it may be beans, rice, or vegetables, but their table will not be lacking. There the costs for each student will be covered by the Zapatistas. Each student will live with an indigenous Zapatista family. During the days that they are in school this will be the student's family. They will eat, work, rest, sing, and dance with this family, who will also walk them to their assigned school, to the education center. And the "Votán," the guardian or guardiana, will always accompany them. That is, we will watch out for each student. If they get sick we will cure them, or if it is serious we will take them to a hospital. But whatever is in their head when they arrive and when they leave, well, we can't do anything about that; what each compañero or compañera does with what they see, hear, or learn, is their responsibility. That is, we will teach them the theory; the practice they will see about themselves in their own corner of the world.

      11. The costs of the school we will figure out ourselves. Maybe we'll have a festival of music and dancing, or some paintings or artisanal goods, but don't worry, because we will find a way and in any case, there are always good people who support good things. For those who would like to make a donation to the school, we will leave a jar in the student registration area at CIDECI, with the compas from the University of the Earth, in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas. Whoever wants to donate some money can put it in the jar, no one will know who gave money or how much they gave; this way those who gave a lot won't think too much of themselves and those who gave a little won't feel sad. We will not allow gifts of money or other things to be given in the schools, Caracoles, or families to which you are assigned. This is to avoid an unfair situation where some people receive things and others do not. Whatever people would like to donate should be left at CIDECI, with the compas from the University of the Earth, in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico. They will collect it all and then we will divide it evenly among everyone later, that is, if there is anything. If not, it doesn't matter, what matters is you.

      12.- There are other ways of taking the course at the little Zapatista school. We are going to ask for support from the compas of the free, independent, libertarian, and autonomous media, and from those who know about this thing called videoconferencing. Because we know that many people will not be able to come because of work issues, or personal issues, or family. We also know that there are people who don't understand Spanish but do want to learn how the Zapatistas have done what they have done and undone what they have undone. So we are going to have a special course that one can take via video camera wherever there is a group of willing students who are ready with their textbooks, and that way, over internet, they will be able to see the course and ask questions of the teachers-the Zapatista bases of support. In order to plan this, we will invite some alternative media to a special meeting in order to come to an agreement on how to do the video conferences and also so that they can photograph and videotape the places that we will talk about in the classes, so that everyone can verify if what the professors (men and women) say is true or not.

      Another form by which people can take the class is with the DVDs we will make of the course, for those who can't go anywhere and can only study in their house, so that they can also learn.

      13. In order to attend the little Zapatista school, you will have to take a preparatory course where the life of the Zapatista communities and their internal rules will be explained. So that you don't commit any infractions. And also so you know what you need to bring. For example, you shouldn't bring those things called "tents" that aren't good for anything anyway; we are going to provide you accommodations with indigenous Zapatista families.

      14. Once and for all we want to make it clear that the production, commercialization, exchange, and consumption of any kind of drugs or alcohol is PROHIBITED. The carrying or use of any kind of weapon, loaded or unloaded, is also prohibited. Whoever asks to join the EZLN or anything militarily related will be expelled. We are not recruiting nor promoting armed struggle, but rather organization and autonomy for liberty. Any kind of propaganda, political or religious, is also prohibited.

      15. There is no age limit to attend the little school; but any minors should come with an adult who is responsible for them.

      16. When you register, after having been invited, we ask you to clarify if you are a man, woman, or other, in order to accommodate you, as every one is an individual (individuo, individual, or individuoa)[ii] and will be respected and cared for. Here we do not discriminate against anyone on the basis of gender, sexual preference, race, creed, or nationality. Any act of discrimination will be punished with expulsion.

      17. If anyone has a chronic illness, we ask you to bring your medicine and let us know about it when you register so that we can keep an eye out for you.

      18. When you register, after being invited, we ask that you make clear your age and health condition so that we can accommodate you in one of the schools where you won't suffer more than necessary.

      19. If you are invited and you can't attend at this first date, don't worry. Just let us know when you can attend and we will do the course for you when you can come. Also, if someone can't finish the whole course or can't come after having registered, no problem, you can finish or make it up later. Remember though you can also attend the videoconferences that will be given outside Zapatista territory.

      20. In other writings I will continue explaining more things and clearing up any doubts you might have. But what I have said here are the basics.

      That's all for now.

      From the mountains of the Mexican Southeast.

      Subcomandante Insurgente Moisés.

      Rector of the Little Zapatista School.

      Mexico, March 2013.

      P.S. I put SupMarcos in charge of adding some videos to this text that relate to our little school.

      Francisco Gabilondo Soler, Cri Cri, with a track that is now a classic: "Caminito de la escuela" (The Path to School).

      Caminito de la escuela - Cri Cri - animaci??n
      Caminito de la escuela - Cri Cri - animaci??n

      -----------------------------

      The Little Squirrels of Lalo Guerrero with "Vamos a la escuela" (Let's go to school) and Pánfilo's excuses not to go to school.

      Las ardillitas de Lalo Guerrero: Vamos a la escuela
      Las ardillitas de Lalo Guerrero: Vamos a la escuela

      -----------------------------

      School squabbles to the rhythm of ska, with Tremenda Korte and this track "Por Nefasto".

      por nefasto la tremenda korte
      por nefasto la tremenda korte

      [i] In the lexicon of the EZLN, Votán is usually used in reference to the legendary  Votán - Zapata, in which the spirit of Zapata lives as "the guardian and heart of the people." See "Closing Speech to The National Indigenous Forum," EZLN, January 9, 1996.

      [ii] The EZLN often uses the suffix -oa (individuoa, compañeroa) to provide a noun form that is not strictly feminine or masculine.

      This LONG email offers English translations of all seven parts of the Zapatista written plans to create ~
      "The Little School of Freedom According to the Zapatistas".  Original videos and songs are included!

      Them and Us VII
      The Smallest of them All

      Introduction.

      February 2013.

      For several years now, while in the politics of above they fought over the booty of a shattered nation, while the media was either silent or lied about what was happening, while the original peoples of this land went out of fashion and returned to a corner of oblivion, their lands looted, their inhabitants exploited, repressed, displaced, disrespected...

      The indigenous Zapatista peoples,

      Surrounded by the federal army, pursued by state and municipal police, attacked by paramilitary groups formed and equipped by governments from across the political spectrum in Mexico (PRI, PAN, PRD, PT, PVEM, MC and the other names taken by the parasitical Mexican political class), hounded by agents of the different national and foreign spy agencies, seeing their bases of support, men and women, beaten, displaced, imprisoned...

      The indigenous Zapatista peoples

      without show,

      without any imperative other than duty,

      without instruction manuals,

      without any leaders but ourselves

      without any referent other than the dream of our dead,

      with only our history and memory as weapons,

      looking near and far into calendars and geographies,

      with our guide: Serve, not Serve yourself/ Represent, not Supplant/ Construct, not Destroy/

      Obey, not Command/ Propose, not Impose/ Convince, not Defeat/ Go Below, not Climb Above.

      The Zapatista peoples, the indigenous Zapatistas, the indigenous Zapatista bases of support of the eezeelen, with a new way of doing politics,

      We made

      We make

      We will make

      Freedom.

      FREEDOM

      OUR FREEDOM!

       -*-

      Note of clarification:

      The texts that will appear in this seventh and final part of "Them and Us" are fragments taken from the "First Grade Notebook from the Course: Freedom according to the Zapatistas. Autonomous Government I," and "First Grade Notebook from the Course in: Freedom according to the Zapatistas. Autonomous Government II." The Spanish version is ONLY for compas who are part of the Sixth (We hope there will be versions in the original languages as determined by the National Indigenous Congress, as well as in English, Italian, French, Portuguese, Greek, German, Euskera, Catalonian, Arabic, Hebrew, Galician, Kurdish, Aragonese, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Japanese, and other languages, according to the support of compas of the Sixth around the world who know about the task of translating). These notebooks form part of the support material for the course that the Zapatista bases of support will give to the compas of the Sixth in Mexico and from around the world.

      All of the texts are authored by the Zapatista bases of support, men and women, and they include not only the process of the struggle for freedom, but also their critical and self-critical reflections about our path. That is, they demonstrate how we Zapatistas see freedom and how we struggle to achieve it, exercise it, and defend it.

      As our compañero Subcomandante Insurgente Moisés has already explained, our compas from the Zapatista bases of support are going to share the little we have learned about the struggle for freedom, and the compas of the Sixth can see what is useful or not for their own struggles.

      This class in the little Zapatista school, as you now know, is called "Freedom according to the Zapatistas," and it will be given directly by compañeros and compañeras who are bases of support of the eezeelen, who have carried out the various tasks of government, vigilance, and other diverse responsibilities in the construction of Zapatista autonomy.

      In order to be admitted to the little school, in addition to being invited, the compas of the Sixth and special invitees will need to take a few preparatory, previous, or propaedeutic courses (or however you say what comes before kindergarten), before passing into "first grade." These courses will be given by compas from the support teams of the EZLN's Sixth Commission and have as their only objective to give you the basic elements of neo-Zapatista history and our struggle for democracy, liberty, and justice.

      In geographies where there aren't compas from the support teams, we will get you the syllabus so that all invitees can prepare.

      The dates and times, that is, the calendars and geographies in which the courses will be given by the Zapatista bases of support, will be announced in the appropriate moment, always carefully taking into account the situation of each individual, group, or collective invitee.

      All of the invitees to the course will receive it, no matter if they can come to Zapatista territory or not. We are studying the possible forms or ways to reach your hearts, whatever your calendar and geography may be. So don't worry.

      Okay then. Cheers, now just prepare your heart, and, of course, your pencils and notebooks.

      From the mountains of the Mexican Southeast.

      SupMarcos.

      Mexico, February of 2013.

      P.S. THAT GIVES LESSONS IN MANNERS. This seventh and final part of the series "Them and Us" consists of various parts and is ONLY for the compasof the Sixth. Along with part V (which, as its numeration indicates, is called "The Sixth") and the last of part VI. The Gaze 6: We are He," form part of the private correspondence that the EZLN, through its spokespeople, directs to the compas of the Sixth. In each of these parts, as in the present writing, we clearly signal to whom the texts are addressed.

      For those who are not compas and try to mock, enter into polemics, argue, or respond to these texts, we remind you that reading or commenting on the correspondence of others is what is done by gossipers and/or police. So you should keep track of what category you're in. In addition, your comments only reflect a vulgar racism (you're so critical of TV and yet you merely repeat its clichés), and reiterate your lack of imagination (which is a consequence of lack of intelligence... and laziness about reading). Although, of course, you will have to broaden your silly little chant of "marcos no, ezln yes" to "marcos and moisés no, ezln yes," and then later, "CCRI-CG no, ezln yes." Later on, if you hear the direct word of the Zapatista bases of support (which I doubt will happen), you will have to say "ezln no, ezln neither"), but it will already be too late.

      Oh don't be sad. When we put up music videos by Ricardo Arjona, Luis Miguel, Yustin Bibier or Ricky Martin, you can feel interpellated. Meanwhile, stay seated, keep looking at the calendar from above (those 3 or 6 years pass quickly), move a little to the right (as you are accustomed to doing), and step aside a little, we don't want to splash [implicate] you...

      ¡Órales razaaaaaa!  ¡Y venga a darle al baile!  ¡Ajúa!

      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

      Watch and listen to the videos that accompany this text:

      "La Estrella del Desello" with Eulalio González El Piporro. The track appears also as a shorter version, in the film  "La Nave de los Monstruos" (1959, by Rogelio A. González). It doesn't have anything to do with the eezeelen, I put it here out of stubbornness, and to greet the compas of the north: don't give up, even though you're far away, we're going to include you in our gaze. ¡Ajúa!

      EL PIPORRO. LA ESTRELLA DEL DESEO.wmv
      EL PIPORRO. LA ESTRELLA DEL DESEO.wmv
      "La Despedida"

       with Manu Chao and Radio Bemba, in an indigenous Zapatista community.

      Manu chao-infinita tristeza-en vivo para EZLN
      Manu chao-infinita tristeza-en vivo para EZLN

       "Brigadistak" with Fermín Muguruza.  In the struggle against Power, there are no borders! ¡Marichiweu! (We will win a thousand times, in Mapuche)

      BRIGADISTAK FERMIN MUGURUZA
      BRIGADISTAK FERMIN MUGURUZA

      *********************************
      Traducción del Kilombo Intergaláctico.

      *********************************

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
    • ghwelker
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2013

    • ghwelker
      Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2013
      http://web.archive.org/web/20070625133709/http://www.indigenouspeople.net/frontera/chiapasart.htm

      http://www.indigenouspeople.net/frontera/chiapasart.htm

      http://www.indigenouspeople.net/chiapas/

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpCpARiDFA&translated=1
      http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFO7nUlx3uqn55yCgVh21pN1MYt2euz6l28=

      Chiapas Quotes/Other Web Pages
      Current Chiapas Updates

      External Chiapas Home Pages

      Frontera de la Palabra
      Ode to Chiapas
      Palabra Conjurada
      Virtual Art Gallery of Chiapas

      Accion Zapatista (AZ)
      Acteal: One year later ...

      Chiapas95 (Accion Zapatista de Austin)
      Chiapas Uprising and Human Rights Abuse
      Comitato Chiapas Torino
      Coordinamento Zapatista per l'Italia
      C. s. o. a. La Strada
      Cyberspace and "Ungovernability"

      Diez de Abril in Chiapas

      EZLN (¡Ya Basta!)
      E.Z.L.N. a la Ciudad de México
      FZLN Page

      Emiliano Zapata

      Gaspar Pedro González

      Global Problems and the Culture of Capitalism
      Human Rights Activism and the Internet

      Indians and Mestizos in the Americas
      Indigenous women of Chiapas in the Consulta
      Information on the Zapatista (EZLN) rebellion in Chiapas
      Irish Mexico Group
      Irish Mexico Group PDF files

      Many Faces of Mexico
      Mexico News Archive
      National Commission for Democracy in Mexico (NCDM)

      Protest Letters
      Pueblo y el mal gobierno
      Related Stories About México
      Respetar cultura de los indigenas
      Tehuatzin ti Méxicatl (We Are Méxica)
      Victor Montejo
      What Price Is Dignity?
      Which Flag?
      Yo soy indio

      Pastors for Peace
      People's Decade of Human Rights Education
      Política y Gobierno : Chiapas
      Rage Against the Machine
      Red de Solidaridad con Mexico (RSM)

      Rigoberta Menchú Tum
      Quiche Mayan

      San Cristobal - Heart of Chiapas
      San Cristobal Photo Gallery
      SIPAZ, International Service for Peace

      Schools for Chiapas
      Schools for Chiapas   (en Espanol)
      Stop the War in Chiapas
      Storm from the Mountain

      Wikipedia (EZLN)
      Worldwide Zapatista Network
      Yahoo / Dogpile Search

      Who Are the Mayas?

      Zapatista Art Gallery
      Zapatista Books
      Zapatista Index

      Zapatista Net of Autonomy
      & Liberation (ZapNet)

      Zapatistas in Cyberspace
      Zapatista Solidarity Collective - Melbourne

      Zapatistas Take Mexico City

      Zapatista Screen Saver
      Zapatista Thunder
      Zapatista Web Sites
      Zapatista Women

      Artists:

      Salvador Sántiz Gómez
      from Bach'en, de Oxchuc, Chiapas

      K'ayun Max
      from Lacandonia, Chiapas
      (de la selva chiapanec)

      Antun Kotom Law
      Tzeltal (de Ch’ixaltonti,
      Tenejapa, Chiapas

      Juan Aguilar Sántiz
      Tojolabal

      Juan Gallo
      Tzotzil
      (del municipio de
      San Juan Chamula, Chiapas

      Ode to Chiapas

      Nuestro Senor Hizo el Cielo y Hizo el Bosque.

      (Our Lord Made the Sky and He Also Made the Forest.)

      by CHAN KIN, Viejo del Naja, Lacandon Rain Forest

      En el cielo sembro estrellas y en el bosque sembro arboles.
      Son una sola de las raices de las estrellas y las raices de los arboles.
      Cuando cae un arbol, cae una estrella.

      In the sky he planted stars and in the forest he planted trees.
      There is only one group of stars and only one source of trees.
      When a tree falls, a star also falls.

      The Flower as a Gift of Thanks

      In a recent communique from the Zapatistas, written on March 17th, 1994, Subcommandante Marcos reiterated the importance of this network coordination. It is obvious from his words that these networks are making a real difference. He said:

      "and we learned that there were marches and songs and movies and other things that were not war in Chiapas, which is the part of Mexico where we live and die. And we learned that these things happened, and that "NO TO WAR!" was said in Spain and in France and in Italy and in Germany and in Russia and in England and in Japan and in Korea and in Canada and in the United States and in Argentina and in Uruguay and in Chile and in Venezuela and in Brazil and in other parts where it wasn't said but it was thought. And so we saw that there are good people in many parts of the world..."

      Marcos obviously was touched by the fact that people have labored all over the world for the Zapatista cause. So he closed the communique with a personal thank you:

      "And we want to say to you, to everyone, thank you. And that if we had a flower we would give it to you... and when they are old, then they can talk with the children and young people of their country that, 'I struggled for Mexico at the end of the 20th century, and from over here I was there with them and I only know that they wanted what all human beings want, for it is not to be forgotten that they are human beings and for it to be remembered what democracy, liberty and justice are, and I did not know their faces but I did know their hearts and it was the same as ours'... Goodbye. Health and a promised flower: a green stem, a white flower, red leaves, and don't worry about the serpent, this that flaps its wings is an eagle which is in charge of it, you will see..."

      Now is the Time!

      by Saki, Spiritual Brother of Marcos

      Now is the Time! Crush the Serpent!
      The best way to crush the Serpent, is to live!
      Right in his footprints. Show him that he cannot crush you!

      This was why that Lady came, Our Lady of Guadalupe. They said she said:

      "THIS LAND IS SACRED. LIVE ALWAYS AS IF YOU ARE IN CHURCH; A HOLY PLACE!"

      Now is the Time! You make the land Sacred by where you walk. Walk free!

      No fences. Land without fences is Sacred!

      Talk! Land where Talk is, is Sacred!

      Come talk. This is the real House of Mica.
      Land where they come to understand, is Sacred!

      Now is the Time! You make the land Sacred again.
      You show the People the best way to make the land Sacred.

      To stop the Dragon; To trample the Serpent;
      To break the Chains; Is to:

      Walk Freedom!

      Talk Freedom!

      Live Freedom!

      Always!

      So if you die, You die in Freedom!

      This is how you make the Land Sacred again.

      Thank you!

      For so long the people have lived under the Serpent,
      But now you have found the door.

      Find the Key! Build the Place!
      Crush the Serpent! Make the Land Sacred again!

      Make it so never again; Are there chains.
      People eating people; Feeding on each others' blood.

      Never again are there; Barbed wire fences.
      People taking away land; So others cannot grow food.

      Never again are there lies; People afraid to say the truth.

      Never again are there people; Forced to worship the Dragon!

      Now is the Time! You have found the Place!
      You have built the City! You invite the People!

      Come! Talk! Plant! Live!

      Make the Land Sacred again!!

      The long journey from despair to hope

      by Subcomandante Marcos

      For Mr. Ik,
      Tzeltal prince,
      founder of the CCRI-CC of the EZLN,
      helped in the battles of Ocosingo, Chiapas,
      in January of 1994. (Wherever he is...)

      "When He arrives we are living,
      and from the depths of the Castle of the poor
      where we had so many just like us,
      so many accomplices, so many friends
      the sail of courage is raised
      We must raise it without vacillation.

      Tomorrow we will know why
      when we triumph. A long chain of passion
      was unimprisoned. The ration of injustice and the ration of shame
      are truly too bitter to bear.

      Everything is not necessary to make a world.
      Happiness is necessary and nothing more.
      To be happy it is only necessary to see clearly and fight.
      We must not wait even an instant:
      Let us raise our heads.
      Let us take the land by force."

      Mexico: between dreams, nightmares and awakenings

      Which speaks of neoliberal chants of 24 mermaids, of reefs of
      gold, of grounding on sand bars of depression and of other dangers
      that threaten the pirates on high seas.

      The Nation Speaks and the Pain

      They have treated me like a piece
      of injured land,
      full of scars.
      of wounds that do not heal,
      from beatings and downfalls.

      They have treated me like a
      never ending curse,
      like a home left in ruins and bitterness.

      How heavy is history!

      Full am I with traitors and thieves,
      each humiliation is added and grows,
      each tribulation accumulates.

      The imperial eagle tears at my insides
      and powerful men divide among themselves
      my seas and my mountains,
      my rivers and deserts
      my valleys and cliffs.

      These are my afflictions,
      large and never ending:
      the pain of my mangled ground,
      the pain of my impoverished land,
      the pain of my betrayed son,
      the pain of my lost battle...

      Problems

      This thing that is one's country is somewhat
      difficult to explain
      But it is more difficult to understand what it is
      to love one's country
      For example
      they taught us that to love one's country is, for
      example,
      to salute the flag
      to rise upon hearing the National Anthem
      To get drunk when the national soccer team loses
      To get drunk when the national soccer team wins
      Some etceteras that change little from six-year
      term to six-year term
      And, for example,
      they didn't teach us that to love one's country
      can be
      for example
      to whistle like one who is leaving, but
      behind that hill there is also part of the
      country and nobody can see us
      And we are frank with each other (because one
      always is frank when nobody sees them)
      And we tell the country,
      for example,
      everything we hate about it
      and everything we love about it
      and it is always better to say it,
      for example,
      with gunshots and smiling
      And, for example,
      they taught us that to love one's
      country is
      for example
      to use a campesino sombrero
      to know the names of the child-heroes
      to shout "Viva-arriba Mexico!" even though Mexico
      is down and dead.
      Other etceteras which change little from six-year
      term to six-year term.
      And, for example,
      they did not teach us that
      to love the country
      could be,
      for example,
      to be quiet as one who dies,
      but no,
      below this earth there is also country
      and no one hears us
      and we are frank
      (because one is always frank when no one hears us)
      and we tell
      (the country).
      the short and hard history
      of those who were dying to love it
      and that they are no longer hear to give me the reasons,
      but they give me them without being here,
      those who taught us
      that the country can be loved,
      for example,
      with gunshots and smiling.