[WGAR-news] Australia: Muckaty nuclear waste dump update April 2013: Nat Wasley, Ohms Not Bombs

  • WGAR News
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2013
      Muckaty nuclear waste dump update April 2013:
      Nat Wasley, Ohms Not Bombs

      Newsletter date: 24 April 2013

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/04/23/wgar-news-muckaty-nuclear-waste-dump-update-april-2013-nat-wasley-ohms-not-bombs

      Contents:

      * Nat Wasley, Ohms Not Bombs: Muckaty nuclear waste dump update April 2013
      * Background to the proposed Muckaty nuclear waste dump

      * Let's Talk's Tiga Bayles interviews Mitch Torres about James Price Point proposed gas hub development
      * Zebedee Parkes, Green Left: Kimberley win strengthens anti-gas campaign
      * DesignBuild: Federal Government Pushes for Floating LNG
      * Background to the Save The Kimberley Campaign - James Price Point, north of Broome, WA

      * Other articles

      * NAT WASLEY, OHMS NOT BOMBS:
      MUCKATY NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP UPDATE APRIL 2013

      - News

      Ohms Not Bombs: Muckaty nuclear waste dump update April 2013
      http://ohmsnotbombs.net/archives/809
      21 Apr 13: "Hello to all supporters of the Muckaty nuclear
      waste dump campaign. There are important developments
      regarding the proposed national radioactive waste dump
      outlined in the update below, please take a few minutes to
      read through. I am also happy to talk further if you would
      like more information." By Nat Wasley

      * BACKGROUND TO THE PROPOSED MUCKATY NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP:

      Last updated: 9 April 2013

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/22/background-to-the-proposed-muckaty-nuclear-waste-dump-in-nt-australia

      * LET'S TALK'S TIGA BAYLES INTERVIEWS MITCH TORRES
      ABOUT JAMES PRICE POINT PROPOSED GAS HUB DEVELOPMENT

      - Audio Interview

      Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane:
      Let's Talk - Mitch Torres

      http://www.989fm.com.au/category/podcasts/lets-talk/
      22 Apr 13: "Mitch Torres from Broome, about the
      James Price Point proposed gas hub development."
      Listen to this interview on-line:
      http://www.989fm.com.au/podcasts/lets-talk/mitch-torres/

      * ZEBEDEE PARKES, GREEN LEFT:
      KIMBERLEY WIN STRENGTHENS ANTI-GAS CAMPAIGN

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Green Left: Kimberley win strengthens anti-gas campaign
      http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/53878
      22 Apr 13: ""We want our country to be alive. We don't want
      it to be dead because that’s our country, that’s our spirit
      country, we come from that country," said Aboriginal
      traditional owner Teresa Roe to a crowd outside Woodside's
      office on April 12. ... At a community meeting in Broome
      after Woodside's announcement, there was a strong sentiment
      to fight against attempts to drill for unconventional gas
      in the Kimberley. Any other companies that try to build a
      gas hub at James Price Point will be met with a determined,
      organised and now empowered mass community campaign."
      By Zebedee Parkes

      * DESIGNBUILD:
      FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PUSHES FOR FLOATING LNG

      - News

      DesignBuild: Federal Government Pushes for Floating LNG
      http://designbuildsource.com.au/federal-government-pushes-for-floating-lng
      "The federal government has offered generous financial
      incentives to Western Australia for the adoption of
      floating technology at the recently scuppered
      $40-billion-plus Browse natural gas project. ... The
      government has thrown its support behind the proposed use
      of floating technology on the Browse project with both the
      Gillard Government and the Coalition believed to be willing
      to divvy up the 40 per cent petroleum resource rent tax
      from the project with the Western Australian state
      government as long as LNG processing is performed offshore."
      By Marc Howe

      * BACKGROUND TO THE SAVE THE KIMBERLEY CAMPAIGN
      - JAMES PRICE POINT, NORTH OF BROOME, WA

      Last updated: 22 April 2013

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/11/22/wgar-news-background-to-the-save-the-kimberley-campaign-james-price-point-north-of-broome

      * OTHER ARTICLES:

      - Video

      SBS World News:
      Macklin calls on Abbott to promise he won't cut Indigenous funding

      Source: Geremy Geia, NITV
      http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1758818/Macklin-calls-on-Abbott-to-promise-he-wont-cut-Ind
      22 Apr 13: "Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin has
      called on Opposition leader Tony Abbott to not cut a cent
      when it comes to funding Aboriginal and Torres Strait
      Islander programs. Last week Mr Abbott's director of policy
      Dr Mark Roberts allegedly made threats to cut resources for
      the National Indigenous Education Foundation if the
      Coalition wins office."

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Stringer: Dr Jensen continues to stereotype
      http://thestringer.com.au/dr-jensen-continues-to-stereotype/
      22 Apr 13: "Federal parliamentarian Dennis Jensen has not
      heeded Tony Abbott’s chiding of him and has gone on show
      once again with his outdated stereotypes of Aboriginal
      peoples. Only days ago Dr Jensen was pulled into line by Mr
      Abbott for making what many have said were racial slurs,
      but to many it appears he has done it again."
      By Gerry Georgatos,
      a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner,
      a multi-award winning investigative journalist

      - Audio

      Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association:
      http://caama.com.au/radio#tabs-6
      http://caama.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/am-23-04.mp3
      23 Apr 13: "One of the countrys most powerful Aboriginal
      Land Councils says social media played a major role in
      informing people of overtly racist material contained in a
      prominent Western Australian University newsletter."

      - - -

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      - - -

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      - - -

      You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact and includes occasional activities and events.

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
      WGAR Website: http://wgar.wordpress.com/