[WGAR-news] Australia: We must continue calls for Treaty: Nicole Watson, Tracker

  • WGAR News
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2013
      We must continue calls for Treaty:
      Nicole Watson, Tracker

      Newsletter date: 15 April 2013

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/04/14/wgar-news-we-must-continue-calls-for-treaty-nicole-watson-tracker

      Contents:

      * Nicole Watson, Tracker: We must continue calls for Treaty
      * Greg Dyett and Jeremy Geia, SBS Radionews Audio: Claim renews sovereignty campaign
      * NIRS: Call to charge up sovereignty campaign
      * Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies

      * The Stringer: Department changes from Indigenous to Aboriginal

      * Croakey: We must do far more as a country to acknowledge the First Australians: Prof Lesley Barclay

      * Jeremy Geia, NITV News: Row over Canberra's traditional owners

      * Other articles

      * NICOLE WATSON, TRACKER:
      WE MUST CONTINUE CALLS FOR TREATY

      - Analysis / Opinion

      agendaTracker:
      Little Black Duck: We must continue calls for Treaty

      http://tracker.org.au/2013/04/little-black-duck-we-must-continue-calls-for-treaty/
      11 Apr 13: "NATIONAL: The words, 'Aboriginal sovereignty',
      have given rise to a diversity of meaning. For some,
      recognition of Aboriginal sovereignty demands the creation
      of a black state. For others it is synonymous with
      self-determination. Regardless of how one defines the term
      however, talk of Aboriginal sovereignty inevitably leads
      to a treaty. Some would argue that a treaty is unrealistic
      in the current environment and therefore, we should focus
      on goals that have bipartisan political support, namely,
      constitutional recognition. That is a point of view that
      this little black duck will never subscribe to. I believe
      that a treaty is not only crucial, but inevitable, for
      four reasons. ... " By Nicole Watson,
      a Murri lawyer and researcher with the
      Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning
      at the University of Technology, Sydney

      * GREG DYETT AND JEREMY GEIA, SBS RADIONEWS AUDIO:
      CLAIM RENEWS SOVEREIGNTY CAMPAIGN

      - Audio

      SBS Radionews Podcasts: Claim renews sovereignty campaign
      By Greg Dyett and Jeremy Geia
      http://www.sbs.com.au/podcasts/Podcasts/radionews/episode/261840/Claim-renews-sovereignty-campaign
      9 Apr 13: "A declaration of independence refreshes the
      campaign for Indigenous sovereignty over parts of
      Australia. ... Veteran Aboriginal activist Geoff Clark says
      he's encouraged by what he calls a reinvigoration of the
      campaign for Aboriginal sovereignty in Australia. His
      comments came as the Murrawarri people from northern New
      South Wales declared their independence. The Murrawarri
      say they're now a republic with their own constitution and
      bill of rights and they've given Queen Elizabeth II 28
      days to respond to their declaration. Greg Dyett reports."

      See:

      WGAR News: Jeremy Geia, NITV:
      Northern NSW clans create 'Murrawarri Republic' (4 Apr 13)

      [scroll down page] http://indymedia.org.au/2013/04/04/wgar-news-legal-action-launched-today-to-quash-decision-to-imprison-children-in-adult-pri

      WGAR News: Sovereign Union:
      The Murrawarri Republic declaration (31 Mar 13)

      [scroll down page] http://indymedia.org.au/2013/03/30/wgar-news-jagath-dheerasekara-manuwangku-under-the-nuclear-cloud-burn-magazine

      WGAR News: Sovereign Union:
      A fight against paying rates on ancient homelands (4 Apr 13)

      [scroll down page] http://indymedia.org.au/2013/04/04/wgar-news-legal-action-launched-today-to-quash-decision-to-imprison-children-in-adult-pri

      * NIRS:
      CALL TO CHARGE UP SOVEREIGNTY CAMPAIGN

      - News

      National Indigenous Radio Service:
      Call to charge up soverignty campaign

      http://www.nirs.org.au/blog/NEWS/article/29027/Call-to-charge-up-soverignty-campaign.html
      11 Apr 13: "A declaration of independence ia refreshing the
      campaign for Indigenous sovereignty over parts of
      Australia. Veteran Aboriginal activist Geoff Clark says
      he's encouraged by what he calls a reinvigoration of the
      campaign for Aboriginal sovereignty in Australia."

      * BACKGROUND TO THE ABORIGINAL SOVEREIGNTY MOVEMENT
      AND THE ABORIGINAL TENT EMBASSIES:

      Last updated: 13 April 2013

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/22/background-to-the-aboriginal-sovereignty-movement-and-the-aboriginal-tent-embassies

      * THE STRINGER:
      DEPARTMENT CHANGES FROM INDIGENOUS TO ABORIGINAL

      - News

      The Stringer: Department changes from Indigenous to Aboriginal
      http://thestringer.com.au/department-changes-from-indigenous-to-aboriginal-2
      12 Apr 13: "The Western Australian Government is replacing
      the word 'Indigenous' with the word 'Aboriginal'. The State
      Opposition has said this is an expense waste of time. But
      others do not think so. ... Mr Wyatt is correct that there
      are more pressing issues on the landscape for Aboriginal
      peoples and these are forever neglected or moved along in
      piecemeal ways. Mr Collier is correct that most Aboriginal
      peoples prefer to be referred to as Aboriginal than as
      Indigenous. He is also correct that the change from
      Indigenous to Aboriginal will cost next to nothing."

      * CROAKEY:
      WE MUST DO FAR MORE AS A COUNTRY TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FIRST AUSTRALIANS:
      PROF LESLEY BARCLAY

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Croakey - the Crikey health blog:
      We must do far more as a country to acknowledge the First Australians:
      Prof Lesley Barclay

      http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2013/04/04/we-must-do-far-more-as-a-country-to-acknowledge-the-first-australians-prof-lesley-barclay/
      4 Apr 13: "Australia needs to do much more to recognise and
      respect this country’s first peoples, according to
      Professor Lesley Barclay, Director of the University Centre
      for Rural Health (University of Sydney), based in Lismore.
      Our failure to do so is harmful for Indigenous Australians,
      as well as being a source of shame for non-Indigenous
      Australians, she says. Her article below was prompted by a
      recent visit to New Zealand, where the acknowledgement of
      Maori symbolism, language and spirituality at two health
      conferences made a lasting impression." Melissa Sweet

      * JEREMY GEIA, NITV NEWS:
      ROW OVER CANBERRA'S TRADITIONAL OWNERS

      - Video

      SBS World News: Row over Canberra's traditional owners
      Source: Jeremy Geia, NITV News
      http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1755398/Row-over-Canberras-traditional-owners
      11 Apr 13: "An ACT government-commissioned report says
      Canberra's traditional owners may never be known, as three
      separate groups lay claim as traditional custodians. ...
      But some say the report was part of a deal to stave off a
      legal challenge against the government. Three separate
      groups have laid claim to Canberra as traditional
      custodians. The city lies on the boundary of where they
      have historically converged. The Ngunnawal, the Ngambri
      and the Ngarigu all have several significant sites within
      the area."

      * OTHER ARTICLES:

      - Audio Interview

      SBS Radionews Podcasts:
      Students selected for inaugural Indigenous careers program

      By Kerri Worthington
      http://www.sbs.com.au/podcasts/Podcasts/radionews/episode/262298/Students-selected-for-inaugural-Indigenous-careers-program
      12 Apr 13: "The Murra Mullangari program in Canberra has
      been established by several Indigenous medical and health
      organisations to encourage young people to think about
      careers in the field. The Australian Indigenous Doctors'
      Association says it will show Aboriginal and Torres Strait
      Islander children the wide range of rewarding careers in
      health that are open to them, from a very early age. The
      Association's chief executive Romlie Mokak tells Kerri
      Worthington how the program came about."

      - - -

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      - - -

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      - - -

      You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact and includes occasional activities and events.

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
      WGAR Website: http://wgar.wordpress.com/