[WGAR-news] Australia: Woodside pulls out of Kimberley gas hub: The Wilderness Society

  • WGAR News
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 4:46 PM
      Woodside pulls out of Kimberley gas hub:
      The Wilderness Society

      Newsletter date: 13 April 2013

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/04/13/wgar-news-woodside-pulls-out-of-kimberley-gas-hub-the-wilderness-society

      Contents:

      * Woodside - ASX Announcement: Woodside to Review Alternative Browse Development Concepts
      * The Wilderness Society: Woodside pulls out of Kimberley gas hub
      * The Stringer: Woodside dumps gas hub
      * The Wire Audio: Woodside dumps James Price Point gas hub
      * Greens Senators Rachel Siewert and Scott Ludlam: Thank you! James Price Point
      * Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: Greens welcome decision to abandon James Price Point
      * Robin Chapple, WA Greens MLC: Kimberley still at risk as Woodside halts JPP
      * Hands off Country: Do I dare believe?
      * NIRS: Woodside abandons Browse LNG project
      * ABC AM Audio: Woodside massive Browse Basin gas venture on hold
      * Perth Now: Woodside dumps $45b James Point project
      * Perth Now: Woodside gas plan dump causes mixed reactions
      * The West: $45b Browse gas hub dead
      * Australian: Woodside says giant onshore Browse plant 'not commercially viable'
      * Greens Senators Rachel Siewert and Scott Ludlam, and Robin Chapple MLC:
      Woodside withdrawal from James Price Point - could signal a big win for Western Australia
      * Background to the Save The Kimberley Campaign - James Price Point, north of Broome, WA

      * Mining-related articles

      * WOODSIDE - ASX ANNOUNCEMENT:
      WOODSIDE TO REVIEW ALTERNATIVE BROWSE DEVELOPMENT CONCEPTS

      - Announcement

      Woodside - ASX Announcement:
      Woodside to Review Alternative Browse Development Concepts

      ASX: http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20130412/pdf/42f6qd2zv5dml6.pdf
      Save the Kimberley: http://www.savethekimberley.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/12.04.2013-Woodside-to-Review-Alternative-Browse-Development-Concepts.pdf
      12 Apr 13: "Woodside has completed its technical and
      commercial evaluation of the proposed Browse LNG
      Development near James Price Point and determined that the
      development concept does not meet the company's commercial
      requirements for a positive final investment decision."

      * THE WILDERNESS SOCIETY:
      WOODSIDE PULLS OUT OF KIMBERLEY GAS HUB

      - Campaign

      The Wilderness Society:
      Woodside pulls out of Kimberley gas hub

      https://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/kimberley/woodside-pulls-out-of-kimberley-gas-hub/
      12 Apr 13: "Congratulations James Price Point, Broome and
      Australia! The Wilderness Society is excited and relieved
      by Woodside’s decision this morning to pull out of the
      destructive gas hub project planned for James Price Point
      in the Kimberley. Today's outcome is a testament to people
      power. It shows that communities are capable of stopping
      inappropriate developments, even when those developments
      are worth $45 billion, lead by some of the most powerful
      companies in the world, and backed by governments."

      * THE STRINGER:
      WOODSIDE DUMPS GAS HUB

      - News

      The Stringer: Woodside dumps gas hub
      http://thestringer.com.au/woodside-dumps-gas-hub-2/
      12 Apr 13: "An emotional Phillip Roe spoke of both his joy
      at the news that Woodside has decided to sink the James
      Price Point (Walmadany) gas hub proposal. "We are
      celebrating, we are overjoyed, we gave up so much of our
      time and fought a long battle. I gave up my job to save
      Country. I did it for my people, for my father’s legacy,
      for everything he taught us," said the Goolaraboloo Law
      Boss, Phillip Roe. "We are celebrating, we are here in
      numbers and we will gather at Walmadany tonight to
      celebrate but I don’t trust that it is fully over. ... "
      said Mr Roe."

      - Earlier Analysis / Opinion

      The Stringer:
      Gas hub in the balance but one source said, "It will not happen"

      http://thestringer.com.au/gas-hub-in-the-balance-but-one-source-said-it-will-not-happen/
      9 Apr 13: "Premier Colin Barnett has dreamed big in wanting
      to leave behind visual embodiments of his tenure as Premier
      - Elizabeth Quay and the James Price Point gas hub. Within
      six weeks it will become known whether the
      Woodside-led-joint-venture will proceed with the $40
      billion gas hub. Our sources tell us that it may go either
      way. One source said "it will not happen." ... Despite the
      decision not due till mid-May, and a delay on this would be
      no surprise, nevertheless the decision could be as early as
      April 24 when Woodside chairman Michael Chaney addresses
      Woodside’s annual general meeting. ... " By Gerry Georgatos,
      a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner,
      and a multi-award winning investigative journalist

      * THE WIRE AUDIO:
      WOODSIDE DUMPS JAMES PRICE POINT GAS HUB

      - Audio

      The Wire: Woodside dumps James Price Point gas hub
      Produced by Bridget Backhaus
      http://www.thewire.org.au/storyDetail.aspx?ID=10237
      12 Apr 13: "As the dust settles from the fallout of
      Woodside canning their CSG project at James Price
      Point, the effects of the announcement are only just
      becoming clear. And they're a lot more far-reaching and
      complicated than you would expect. It's been a contentious
      issue for years; everyone from politicians to
      conservationists, mining companies to traditional owners
      have been clashing, sometimes violently, over Woodside
      Petroleum's proposed coal seam gas hub at James Price
      Point in Western Australia. But after years of exploration,
      planning, protests, deals and everything in between, it's
      over."
      "Featured in story:
      * Kevin Blatchford - Co-Chair, Save the Kimberley
      * Warren Greatorex - Chairperson, Waardi Limited
      * Scott Ludlum - Greens Senator to Western Australia
      * Maryanne Petersen - Executive Officer,
      Broome Chamber of Commerce"

      * GREENS SENATORS RACHEL SIEWERT AND SCOTT LUDLAM:
      THANK YOU! JAMES PRICE POINT

      - News

      Greens Senators Rachel Siewert and Scott Ludlam:
      Thank you! James Price Point

      Rachel Siewert: http://rachel-siewert.greensmps.org.au/content/news-stories/thank-you-james-price-point
      Scott Ludlam: http://scott-ludlam.greensmps.org.au/content/news-stories/thank-you-james-price-point
      12 Apr 13: "Dear friend,
      Great news! This morning Woodside announced that it is
      shelving its plans for a gas processing hub at James Price
      Point. Woodside would have built a huge industrial
      development in the middle of whale calving grounds,
      threatening dugong habitats and burial sites - against the
      wishes of many traditional custodians and community
      members. This is a huge victory for a place that is too
      precious to lose, and for a community that has such a
      strong relationship with this magnificent country. Both of
      us have been in Broome this week, and it's fantastic to be
      celebrating this news with relieved locals."

      * GREENS SENATOR RACHEL SIEWERT:
      GREENS WELCOME DECISION TO ABANDON JAMES PRICE POINT

      - Media Release

      Greens Senator Rachel Siewert:
      Greens welcome decision to abandon James Price Point

      http://rachel-siewert.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/greens-welcome-decision-abandon-james-price-point
      12 Apr 13: "Australian Greens Senator Rachel Siewert has
      welcomed the announcement that the development of a gas hub
      at James Price Point has been abandoned, saying the
      decision represents great news for the people, culture and
      environment of the Kimberley.
      "The development of a gas hub at James Price Point would
      have destroyed irreplaceable environmental, cultural,
      social and heritage values. It has been a divisive and
      contentious issue for people across the region over a
      number of years," Senator Siewert said from the Kimberley
      today. ...
      "Aboriginal people in the Kimberley deserve the same access
      to housing, jobs, education and other services as all other
      West Australians. It is not appropriate for the WA
      Government to have tied the provision of these services to
      the development of a gas hub at James Price Point. ... "
      Senator Siewert said today."

      * ROBIN CHAPPLE, WA GREENS MLC:
      KIMBERLEY STILL AT RISK AS WOODSIDE HALTS JPP

      - Media Release

      Robin Chapple, WA Greens MLC:
      Kimberley still at risk as Woodside halts JPP

      http://www.robinchapple.com/kimberley-still-risk-woodside-halts-jpp
      12 Apr 13: "Kimberley Risks Far From Settled Say Greens WA ...
      Greens WA Member for the Mining and Pastoral Region, Robin
      Chapple MLC, today urged caution during celebrations around
      Woodside’s canning of Premier Barnett’s controversial James
      Price Point (JPP) gas hub development.
      "On this day of immense relief for some Traditional Owners,
      local residents and their supporters around the country,
      let’s not forget what challenges still remain ahead of us
      to ensure once-and-for-all that the Kimberley, as we know
      and love it, is saved for future generations," Mr Chapple
      said.
      "Mr Barnett was reported on ABC news this morning as saying
      Aboriginal people would now miss out on revenue. If the
      government has tied provision of everyday services, which
      the rest of the state takes for granted, to funds derived
      from this project, then Aboriginal people should be
      outraged. ... "

      * HANDS OFF COUNTRY:
      DO I DARE BELIEVE?

      - Reflection

      Hands off Country: Do I dare believe?
      http://www.handsoffcountry.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/do-i-dare-believe.html
      12 Apr 13: "Do I dare believe? As the news started to flow
      late yesterday afternoon, that Woodside are pulling the pin
      on James Price Point,  Red Hand was unsure to believe it or
      not. As more media started to pick up the story, my heart
      was ready and willing to except that maybe, just maybe it
      was true."

      - Photo

      Hands off Country: "We've saved our country"
      http://www.handsoffcountry.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/we-have-save-country.html
      12 Apr 13: "Theresa Roe embraces her granddaughter Janine
      in emotional scenes today as the word spreads about
      Woodside withdrawing from JPP. Theresa repeating, "We've
      saved our country" ... Congratulations to the Goolarabooloo
      People and the Broome Community"

      * NIRS:
      WOODSIDE ABANDONS BROWSE LNG PROJECT

      - Audio

      National Indigenous Radio Service:
      Woodside abandons Browse LNG project

      http://www.nirs.org.au/blog/NEWS/article/29030/Woodside-abandons-Browse-LNG-project.html
      12 Apr 13: "Woodside has announced its LNG processing hub,
      at James Price Point, north of Broome in Western
      Australia’s Kimberley, will be abandoned. ... Broome-based
      Indigenous culture worker, Anne Poelina, says it’s a win
      for the Broome community."

      * ABC AM AUDIO:
      WOODSIDE MASSIVE BROWSE BASIN GAS VENTURE ON HOLD

      - Audio

      ABC AM: Woodside massive Browse Basin gas venture on hold
      http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3735349.htm
      12 Apr 13: "AM has been told that oil and gas producer,
      Woodside Petroleum, plans to abandon its proposed gas
      processing hub at James Price point north of Broome in
      Western Australia. The company is expected to make an
      announcement to the stock exchange this morning. Woodside
      refused to comment when contacted by AM. There's been
      staunch, broad opposition to the $45 billion Browse project
      from environmentalists, residents and businesses as well as
      some traditional owners. Here's national resources reporter,
      Sue Lannin."
      [Includes comments by David Lennox, Colin Barnett and
      Maryanne Peterson.]

      - Related Video

      ABC: Woodside to shelve $45b LNG project
      http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-12/woodside-to-abandon-lng-project/4624610
      12 Apr 13: "The ABC's AM program has been told that oil and
      gas producer Woodside Petroleum plans to abandon its $45
      billion Browse LNG project in Western Australia."
      By national resources reporter Sue Lannin

      * PERTH NOW:
      WOODSIDE DUMPS $45B JAMES POINT PROJECT

      - News

      Perth Now: Woodside dumps $45b James Point project
      http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/woodside-will-not-go-ahead-with-an-lng-processing-plant-at-james-price-point/story-fnhocxo3-1226618536271
      12 Apr 13: "While shareholders have applauded Woodside
      Petroleum's dumping of a costly onshore liquefied natural
      gas plant by sending its stock soaring, Ms Gillard says the
      company's decision to shelve the massive project does not
      relate to federal or state regulatory issues. Woodside
      Petroleum says a major review of the proposed Browse LNG
      processing plant, at James Price Point in Western
      Australia, found it would not deliver the returns needed."
      AAP and Amy Wilson-Chapman

      * PERTH NOW:
      WOODSIDE GAS PLAN DUMP CAUSES MIXED REACTIONS

      - News

      Perth Now: Woodside gas plan dump causes mixed reactions
      http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/mixed-reactions-to-shelving-gas-plan/story-fnhocxo3-1226618993980
      12 Apr 13: "Broome Community No Gas Campaign spokeswoman
      Nik Wevers said the group's opposition would not cease
      until they were sure the James Price Point area - including
      the monsoon vine thickets, the dinosaur footprints and the
      cultural heritage sites - were all protected. ...
      WOODSIDE Petroleum's decision to shelve a massive gas
      project in WA is a win for the Kimberley region,
      environmentalists say. But the workers union says it is a
      devastating blow for the local construction and
      manufacturing industries."

      * THE WEST:
      $45B BROWSE GAS HUB DEAD

      - News

      The West: $45b Browse gas hub dead
      http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/16692097/woodside-tipped-to-shelve-gas-hub-project/
      12 Apr 13: "The national workers union has accused Woodside
      Petroleum of bypassing Australian workers in favour of
      offshore operations and higher profits, aided by the
      Greens. ... Woodside Chief executive officer Peter Coleman
      says it is confident the Browse gas project will go ahead,
      despite scrapping plans James Price Point. ... Premier
      Colin Barnett says the failure to develop a gas hub project
      at James Price Point is a tragedy and a missed opportunity.
      ... WA Opposition Leader Mark McGowan said the Premier's
      constant interfering and meddling caused the James Price
      Point project to be lost." Andrew Probyn, Peter Kerr,
      Gareth Parker, Peter Klinger, Dan Emerson and AAP,
      The West Australian

      * AUSTRALIAN:
      WOODSIDE SAYS GIANT ONSHORE BROWSE PLANT 'NOT COMMERCIALLY VIABLE'

      - News

      Australian:
      Woodside says giant onshore Browse plant 'not commercially viable'

      Australian: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/mining-energy/woodside-says-onshore-browse-plan-not-commercially-viable/story-e6frg9df-1226618830536
      Save the Kimberley: http://www.savethekimberley.com/2013/04/12/woodside-cans-gas-hub/
      12 Apr 13: "WOODSIDE Petroleum has scrapped its
      controversial $US45 billion ($43 billion) plan to build the
      Browse liquefied natural gas project (LNG) plant at James
      Price Point, north of Broome, because of the high cost of
      building in the heated West Australian construction market.
      But the issue of whether Woodside will construct a plant
      on the iconic Kimberley coast, a plan that has angered
      environmentalists and some community groups, been heavily
      backed by WA Premier Colin Barnett and divided Aboriginal
      groups, has not been entirely put to bed." Matt Chambers

      - Related News

      Financial Review:
      Woodside investors relieved at Browse decision

      http://www.afr.com/p/business/companies/woodside_investors_relieved_at_browse_cAnAhZm62jtbyLeyXj93mJ
      12 Apr 13: "Woodside investors have expressed relief at the
      decision to abandon the hugely costly plan to build a new
      LNG plant at James Price Point, with some stepping up calls
      for capital to be returned to shareholders in the absence
      of other near-term growth investments."
      Angela Macdonald-Smith

      * GREENS SENATORS RACHEL SIEWERT AND SCOTT LUDLAM, AND ROBIN CHAPPLE MLC:
      WOODSIDE WITHDRAWAL FROM JAMES PRICE POINT
      - COULD SIGNAL A BIG WIN FOR WESTERN AUSTRALIA

      - Media Release

      Greens Senators Rachel Siewert and Scott Ludlam, and Robin Chapple MLC:
      Woodside withdrawal from James Price Point
      - could signal a big win for Western Australia

      Rachel Siewert: http://rachel-siewert.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/woodside-withdrawal-james-price-point-%E2%80%93-could-signal-big-win-western-australi
      Scott Ludlam: http://scott-ludlam.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/woodside-withdrawal-james-price-point-%E2%80%93-could-signal-big-win-western-australi
      Robin Chapple MLC: http://www.robinchapple.com/woodside-withdrawal-james-price-point-could-signal-big-win-wa
      11 Apr 13: "Reports that Woodside is shelving its planned
      Browse gas project at James Price Point could signal a big
      win for the Kimberley and the environment alike, the Greens
      said today.
      "These are very encouraging reports and it is important
      that Woodside and the WA Government announce the decision,
      if it has been made," Senator Rachel Siewert said.
      "Throughout this process the Premier's support for onshore
      processing at James Price Point has made no sense on
      environmental, social or scientific grounds. The State
      Government needs to seriously rethink its reckless
      enthusiasm for the industrialisation of the Kimberley.
      "The Greens continue to strongly hold the view that economic
      benefits of any resources extracted from the Browse basin
      should flow to the traditional owners of the area, but that
      significantly better options exist for processing gas that
      do not involve industrialisation of James Price Point. The
      Greens will carefully assess any alternative plans to ensure
      they do not pose the same risk of environmental, social and
      cultural harm as the Browse proposal for James Price Point,"
      said Senator Siewert. ... "

      - Earlier Media Releases

      Greens Senators Rachel Siewert and Scott Ludlam:
      Barnett and Woodside cling to obsolete plan to wreck
      James Price Point while industry leaders move on

      Rachel Siewert: http://rachel-siewert.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/barnett-and-woodside-cling-obsolete-plan-wreck-james-price-point-while-indust
      Scott Ludlam: http://scott-ludlam.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/barnett-and-woodside-cling-obsolete-plan-wreck-james-price-point-while-indust
      9 Apr 13: "Woodside and Colin Barnett's plan to wreck James
      Price Point is looking increasingly obsessive as leading
      companies turn their backs on obsolete onshore processing,
      the Greens said today.
      Speaking from Broome today Greens Senator for Western
      Australia Scott Ludlam said "Shell and Exxon Mobil are
      pursuing floating LNG projects while Woodside clings to its
      plan to ruin the pristine coast at James Price Point".
      "The world's two biggest oil companies have decided
      floating LNG technology is the way forward for offshore
      Australian gas field developments, yet Woodside and the
      Premier are stuck in the past. ... " said Senator Ludlam.
      Greens Senator for Western Australia Rachel Siewert said
      the Federal Government must intervene to defend the
      Kimberley."

      Greens Robin Chapple MLC:
      Kimberley DAP approves JPP FIFO camp

      http://www.robinchapple.com/kimberley-dap-approves-jpp-fifo-camp
      5 Apr 13: "Recently re-elected Greens WA Member for the
      Mining and Pastoral Region Robin Chapple MLC has expressed
      dismay at last night’s turn of events in the James Price
      Point saga.
      "I am deeply saddened that yet again, the people of Broome
      have been pushed to breaking point by the heavy-handed
      tactics of the Barnett-Grylls government, as shown by the
      public disturbance reported at yesterday’s meeting of the
      Kimberley Joint Development Assessment Panel," Mr Chapple
      said.
      "It’s no wonder some people react bitterly, when they see
      their democratically elected Council sidelined by these
      unrepresentative bodies. ...
      "Unfortunately, we shouldn’t be surprised, as the whole
      James Price Point venture has clearly been flawed from the
      outset and only continues today thanks to the blinkered,
      fanatical determination of the Premier," Mr Chapple
      concluded."

      * BACKGROUND TO THE SAVE THE KIMBERLEY CAMPAIGN
      - JAMES PRICE POINT, NORTH OF BROOME, WA

      Last updated: 9 April 2013

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/11/22/wgar-news-background-to-the-save-the-kimberley-campaign-james-price-point-north-of-broome

      * MINING-RELATED ARTICLES:

      - Video

      SBS World News:
      WA 'needs to provide more info on uranium mine'

      Source: Jeremy Geia, NITV News
      http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1754604/WA-needs-to-provide-more-info-on-uranium-mine
      9 Apr 13: "The Australian Conservation Foundation has
      called on the Western Australian government to be more
      transparent regarding the country’s newest uranium venture
      near the remote town of Wiluna. ACF National Nuclear
      Campaigner Dave Sweeney says there has been little
      information to date about how the uranium will be mined
      and transported. "If the WA government really believes this
      is a good industry and it would stack up, they would have
      no problem at all putting it on the spotlight and putting
      it on the table and being open about it, rather than
      cutting secret deals in Perth ... " Mr Sweeney said."

      - Audio

      3CR Community Radio: Earth Matters 07.04.2013
      http://www.3cr.org.au/earthmatters/podcast/earth-matters-07042013
      7 Apr 13: "In March Fairfax Magazine "Good Weekend"
      published an article about Mining CEO Andrew Forrest,
      calling him a 'Champion of Indigenous Rights", but
      Forrest’s dealings with the Yindjibarndi Community in the
      Pilbara challenge that perception."

      - News

      Indigenous Social Justice Association - Melbourne:
      Solidarity Salon Stands Up for the Burrup

      http://www.isja-msg.com/news.htm
      "On Saturday 6 March 2013, the Freedom Socialist Party and
      the Indigenous Social Justice Association - Melbourne
      teamed up to host Solidarity Salon Stands Up for the
      Burrup.' ... The Burrup is sometimes referred to as the
      world’s biggest art gallery. The area is unique as it
      contains the world’s largest and most important collection
      of ancient petroglyph, or rock carvings. This collection
      contains over one million images, the oldest were created
      at least 35,000 years ago. Only a fraction have been
      properly catalogued. This cultural treasure is now under
      threat from rapacious industrialisation and the insatiable
      capitalist quest for profit."

      National Indigenous Radio Service:
      CSG companies deny cultural destruction claims

      http://www.nirs.org.au/blog/NEWS/article/29002/CSG-companies-deny-cultural-destruction-claims.html
      9 Apr 13: "Two major gas companies have rejected claims
      they've destroyed Indigenous sacred sites in the Gladstone
      region in Central Queensland. Members of the Port Curtis
      Coral Coast Native Title Claim Group are preparing to
      launch a class action against the three gas companies
      developing coal seam to liquefied natural gas plants on
      Curtis Island near Gladstone."

      - - -

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      - - -

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      - - -

      You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact and includes occasional activities and events.

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
      WGAR Website: http://wgar.wordpress.com/