Akha Journal: New article up at www.akha.org, 8 hostages

  • Matthew McDaniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Dear Friends:

      The Royal Thai Forestry department has taken 8 hostages to the Mae Fahluang jail.
      Based on a trumped up charge of farming forestry land, then forestry said these people, like all the other hill tribe, didn't have papers for their land, have to each go there to get papers to prove the land is there.  A rediculous imposition on the hill tribe that they can't possibly abide by.  All of it, from drug war murders to these arrests and incident after incident all spells incredible oppression on these Akha and others.

      The 8 were taken to the court in Chiangrai once where the judge wouldn't hear the case based on that it was trivia.  Forestry denies this, but  its the only story we have so far.

      The 8 month plus pregnant woman is till in jail and if this keeps up she will give birth to her first child in jail on a bogus charge, bail at $1200, way over her annual income, forstry saying that these people are being held as a example to others. This is very traumatic for the woman and her husband.

      This is a very unjust situation and we need your help, once more yes.

      www.akha.org is up with the pics, of these women and men, the jail.  Also pics now of two ambushed trucks that the passengers and drivers were gunned to death in.

      I need to shrink the pics, they are rather large for now, takes a long time to load.

      Take a look, then contact your nearest Thai embassy and ask them what the hell is going on.   Demand an answer.  Lets get this woman Meeh Purh, out of there.  She is all of 19.
      This is just a clear example of the oppression on these mountain people.

      This is at the Ampur Mae Fahluang jail in Chiangrai Province, Thailand.

      Matthew McDaniel

      The Akha Heritage Foundation
      PO Box 16
      Maesai, Chiangrai, 57130 Thailand
      Donations by check or money order may be sent to:
      The Akha Heritage Foundation
      PO BOX 6073
      Salem OR 97304 USA Inquire to donate while in Thailand

      Do you Yahoo!?