Obama risks whales, polar bears with harmful new drilling plan

  • ghwelker3@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 108 , Apr 1, 2010

      Wildlife Alert

      Obama Risks
      Ocean
       Wildlife

      North Atlantic right whales (NOAA)

      The endangered North Atlantic right whale is just one species threatened by President Obama’s call for expanded offshore drilling. New seismic testing for oil and gas deposits off our coasts could disrupt the migration and reproduction of these critically endangered whales.

      Speak out for America’s marine wildlife! Call the White House now….

      Call Now to Save Offshore Wildlife

      More Wildlife in Peril

      • Expanded drilling increases the risk of catastrophic oil spills that can decimate commercial fisheries, wreck tourist economies and destroy vital habitat for shore birds and sea turtles.
      • Oil spills also kill sea birds and other marine life directly through oiling and poisoning by ingestion as animals try to clean themselves and toxins are absorbed from the fish birds eat.

      Dear Friends,

      Today, the Obama administration announced a plan that could lead to the opening of vast new areas along America’s coasts to harmful offshore oil and gas drilling…

      • Endangering polar bears, walrus and bowhead whales in the Chukchi Sea off Alaska;
      • Threatening highly endangered North Atlantic right whales along the eastern sea board; and
      • Jeopardizing commercial fisheries and vital habitat for threatened sea turtles along North Carolina’s Outer Banks and the southeast coast.

      Please call the White House right now at 202-456-1111 and deliver this important message:

      My name is  Glenn Welker and I am calling from Silver Spring,Maryland. As someone who cares about wildlife and the environment, I am extremely disappointed in today’s White House announcement on offshore drilling.

      It does nothing to curb our dependence on fossil fuels and threatens the health of coastal waters. Endangered North Atlantic right whales, polar bears and other precious wildlife rely on these waters for their survival.

      Now, more than ever, it is urgent that the president supports comprehensive climate and energy legislation to address harmful climate change and meet America’s energy needs in a clean and sustainable manner… without sacrificing our ocean waters or furthering our dependence on dirty drilling and fossil fuels that contribute to climate change.

      Please click here to let us know that you’ve called. We will be tracking opposition to the worst parts of this proposal in preparation for the long fight to protect our coasts.

      The announcement isn’t all bad news: We are pleased that the Obama administration has decided to protect Alaska’s salmon-rich Bristol Bay and the California coast until 2017.

      But we’re extremely concerned about the administration’s efforts to expand offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, South Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic coasts.

      The administration’s desire to expand oil drilling risks the health of marine wildlife, fisheries and coastal economies. It continues to expand our dependence on fossil fuels at a time when we need to reduce our dependence in order to address the harmful impacts of global warming.

      President Obama needs to hear from you today! Please call the White House comment line at 202-456-1111 and let the president know that you OPPOSE industrializing our coasts.

      With Gratitude,

      Rodger SchlickeisenRodger Schlickeisen, President Signature
      Rodger Schlickeisen
      President
      Defenders of Wildlife

    • ghwelker3@comcast.net
      Message 108 of 108 , Sep 20, 2010

        Navajo Nation – The Navajo, Hopi, all Apache Nations and all other Native Americans who presently reside in Arizona have joined forces in an effort to show the haughty Arizona residents just exactly who has every right to be in that State.

        Said Chief Standing Wolf, “it is not those of European decent who should be making the laws of this state, but we, the tribal people, who have been suppressed for too long. Our ancestors have been here for thousands of years, while the white man only came a few hundred years ago. Yet, it is the white man who wants to make ridiculous laws and keep everything lily white. We can no longer stand by and let this happen.”

        Short of declaring war on the Arizona government, Chief Standing Wolf instead issued a warning “reverse your laws entitling only English-speaking people to inhabit Arizona. Only then will we back down and allow peace to again grace Arizona, but if you deny our fellow red and brown men their rightful place in this state, there will be bloodshed.”

        Of course, Chief Standing Wolf was speaking in his native tongue, so the lawmakers in the State weren’t exactly sure what the message was.