Religion Science & The Environment / Oren Lyons

  • ghwelker3@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 12:58 PM

      Dear Friends,

      A few years ago I was fortunate to hear Oren Lyons speak at a United Nations Meeting as well as the Davos meeting in Switzerland . He is such a wonderful speaker. We have been trying to contact him through various people but have not been able to reach him. Thus we are writing to you to ask whether you would be able to help.

      My name is Maria Becket, and I am writing to you as the coordinator of Religion, Science and the Environment (RSE) a charitable foundation, led by his All-Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Bartholomew I. Since 1995, RSE has convened seven symposia to study the fate of the world’s waters which cover seven-tenths of our planet’s surface. Underlying RSE’s strategies is a core belief that the analytical tools of science and the spiritual messages of religion must work in harmony if the earth’s environment is to be safeguarded.

      The next Symposium ‘The Great Mississippi River: Restoring Balance’ will be held on the Mississippi river between 18th – 25th October 2009. Throughout this Symposium the moral aspects of the ecological problem will be examined, as it is the case in all our Symposia, particularly in respect to the religious and cultural background of America and the world, to realise the extent and the way the religious communities can contribute in facing the ecological crisis through a unified approach, in order to meet the challenges of this important river and other major river and delta systems around the world. We would like Oren Lyons to speak on behalf of the indigenus people, the native tribes that first settled the Mississippi valley and gave the river its name.

      We would be grateful if you could reply to this email at your earliest convenience as we are pressured for time.

      Thank you in advance for your help,

      Best regards,

      Maria Becket

      rsecommittee@...

      _______________________________
      Religion, Science and the Environment
      5-7 Skoufa st
      Athens 106 73
      Greece
      Tel: +30 210 3636092 / 3622887
      Fax: +30 210 3622718
      Email:
      rsecommittee@...
      Website:
      www.rsesymposia.org

    • ghwelker3@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 4:17 PM

        July 31, 2009

        Indigenous People

        I thought that your readers would be interested in our event because of our emphasis on "Australian Aboriginal Spirituality" and "Indigenous People".  One of the speakers will be Faithkeeper Oren Lyons of the Onondaga Nation.  Please consider writing an article covering this important event, so that your readers will have a chance to decide whether they would like to attend.

        Thank you,

        Gail Garcia

        Council for a Parliament of the World’s Religions

        gail@...

        o       PRESS RELEASE:

        Religious and Spiritual Leaders From Around the World

        Plan for Gathering in Melbourne, Australia, Dec. 3-9

        CHICAGO (July 14, 2009) – Chicago-based Council for a Parliament of the World’s Religions has announced their fifth global conference Dec. 3 – 9, 2009 in Melbourne, Australia.  The week long conference titled Make a World of Difference:  Hearing Each Other, Healing the Earth, will be the world’s largest inter-faith gathering, offering the global religious and spiritual communities – and their leaders – a forum to discuss and explore peace, diversity and sustainability in the context of inter-religious understanding and cooperation.

        There are more than 500 programs scheduled throughout the seven days, including lectures, dialogues, workshops, symposia, performances and exhibits.  Major speakers for this year’s Parliament comprise a selection of pre-eminent worldwide spiritual leaders, including:

            * Fr. Laurence Freeman, Director of The World Community for Christian Meditation, UK

            * His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tibetan Buddhist Leader, India

            * Chief Oren Lyons, Native American Faithkeeper of the Turtle Clan of the Onondaga Nation, USA

            * Professor Joy Murphy Wandin, Senior Aboriginal Woman of the Wurundjeri People, Australia

            * Dr. Chandra Muzaffar, Political Scientist and Founder of JUST, Malaysia

            * Rev. Dr. Ishmael Noko, General Secretary of the Lutheran World Federation and Convenor of the Inter-Faith Action for Peace in Africa

            * Rev. Dr. Shanta D. Premawardhana, Director of Inter-religious Dialogue and Cooperation, World Council of Churches, Switzerland

            * Rabbi David Rosen, Chairman of International Jewish Committee on Interreligious Consultations, Israel

            * His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Spiritual Leader of The Art of Living Foundation, India

            * Dr. Karan Singh, Member of Parliament, Former Minister for Education and Culture, India

            * Dr. M. Din Syamsuddin, President of Muhammadiyah, Indonesia

        “There couldn’t be a more important time for the world’s religious and spiritual leaders to work together for a just, peaceful and harmonious society,” said Rev. Dirk Ficca, Executive Director, Council for a Parliament of the World’s Religions. “The Parliament will allow thousands of participants to engage worldwide religious, spiritual, secular, environmental, business and educational leaders in an inter-religious, civil and cross-cultural dialogue on important local, national and global issues, including understanding and respecting diversity, peace and Indigenous reconciliation.”

        Since 1993, Parliament of World’s Religions has convened every five years in a major international city -- Chicago (1993), Cape Town (1999) and Barcelona (2003).  The Parliament of the World’s Religions 2009 will take place at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, designed to achieve the first six green star environmental rating, making it one of the greenest convention centres in the world and is supported by the State Government of Victoria, the Commonwealth Government of Australia and the City of Melbourne, as well as individual, religious and corporate donors.

        For more information, visit www.parliamentofreligions.org or phone Alisa Roadcup, Outreach Director at 312-629-2990 ext. 237. Email alisa@...