16955Fwd: [WGAR-news] Australia: Where to now? Budget reveals attacks against Culture and our connection to our Land: Dr Woolombi Waters, The Stringer

  • WGAR News
    May 31, 2014

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: WGAR News <wgar.news@...>
      Date: 1 June 2014 11:15
      Subject: [WGAR-news] Australia: Where to now? Budget reveals attacks against Culture and our connection to our Land: Dr Woolombi Waters, The Stringer

      Where to now?
      Budget reveals attacks against Culture and our connection to our Land:
      Dr Woolombi Waters, The Stringer

      Newsletter date: 1 June 2014

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2014/05/31/wgar-news-where-to-now-budget-reveals-attacks-against-culture-and-our-connection-to-our-l

      Contents:

      * Pam Reilly, CAAMA Radio: New Charges to see a Doctor...Death Tax for Aboriginal people
      [Featuring John Paterson, CEO, Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance NT]

      * Dr Woolombi Waters, The Stringer: Where to now? Budget reveals attacks against Culture and our connection to our Land
      [Courtesy of The National Indigenous Times]

      * WGAR: Open Letter: WGAR advocates long-term funding for Aboriginal community controlled organisations

      * ANTaR: Budget Response 2014: Take Action! Write to the Minister for Indigenous Affairs

      * Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Federal Budget hits hardest the most vulnerable

      * Michael Coggan, ABC News: Uncertainty among Aboriginal people about impact of Federal budget

      * Robert Crawford, South Coast Register: Budget 2014: 'We risk a new stolen generation'
      * Background to 'Keeping Them Home': Campaign against Forced Aboriginal Adoption in the NT

      * Lighting Fires: Liam McNicholas: Indigenous early learning budgets cuts are cruel and inexplicable

      * Cate Swannell, MJA InSight: Budget threat to Indigenous health

      * Marie McInerney, Croakey: Latest 'close the gap' update on Indigenous health underlines alarm over #Budget2014 cuts

      * Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: Budget cuts threaten future Closing the Gap outcomes
      * Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: PMC job cuts to affect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander services

      * WGAR News: Aboriginal Peoples and the impact of the 2014 Federal Budget (20 May 14)
      * WGAR News: This budget could devastate Indigenous Australians: Mick Gooda, ABC The Drum (22 May 14)

      * PAM REILLY, CAAMA RADIO:
      NEW CHARGES TO SEE A DOCTOR...DEATH TAX FOR ABORIGINAL PEOPLE
      [FEATURING JOHN PATERSON, CEO, ABORIGINAL MEDICAL SERVICES ALLIANCE NT]

      - Audio Interview

      CAAMA Radio: New Charges to see a Doctor...Death Tax for Aboriginal people
      [CAAMA: Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association]
      http://caama.com.au/new-charges-to-see-a-doctor-death-tax-for-aboriginal-people
      22 May 14: "Aboriginal health organisations and health
      leaders met in Canberra to plan a strategy to oppose
      indigenous health cuts and the $7 GP co-payment, they say
      will widen the gap between black and white Australians.
      Julie Tong, CEO of Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriignal Health
      Service in Canberra organised the national meeting says ...
      Pam Reilly spoke to John Paterson CEO of the Aboriginal
      Medical Services Alliance NT who attended the national
      meeting on Strong voices."

      * DR WOOLOMBI WATERS, THE STRINGER:
      WHERE TO NOW?
      BUDGET REVEALS ATTACKS AGAINST CULTURE AND OUR CONNECTION TO OUR LAND
      [COURTESY OF THE NATIONAL INDIGENOUS TIMES]

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Stringer: Where to now? Budget reveals attacks against Culture and our connection to our Land
      http://thestringer.com.au/where-to-now-budget-reveals-attacks-against-culture-and-our-connection-to-our-land/
      23 May 14: "A couple of weeks ago I wrote the following:
      "Our people are hurting and are in need of love, caring and
      putting back on their feet. We need to feel improved
      self-esteem and resilience and to feel connected before
      moving forward. We spend enough in resources to heal rather
      than punish. With every article I try to promote the idea
      that greater social and cultural capital builds with
      education and this remains the key but for this to happen
      we need to feel a sense of belonging." Well, with the
      release of last week’s budget the money we were spending
      has been slashed and the resources required for this
      healing to occur decimated. So where to from here?"
      By Dr Woolombi Waters; Courtesy of The National Indigenous Times

      Dr Woolombi Waters - The Stringer
      http://thestringer.com.au/dr-woolombi-waters/
      "Dr Woolombi Waters is a Kamilaroi Aboriginal man with six
      children. His PhD "Contemporary Urban Indigenous ‘Dreamings’:
      interaction, engagement and creative practice,"
      documents
      surviving Kamilaroi epistemologies essential to cultural
      maintenance and trans-generational pedagogy. ... "

      * WGAR:
      OPEN LETTER:
      WGAR ADVOCATES LONG-TERM FUNDING FOR ABORIGINAL COMMUNITY CONTROLLED ORGANISATIONS

      - Letter

      Open Letter: WGAR advocates long-term funding for Aboriginal community controlled organisations
      http://indymedia.org.au/2014/05/29/open-letter-wgar-advocates-long-term-funding-for-aboriginal-community-controlled-organisa
      28 May 14: "Dear P.M,
      We wish to formally register our opposition to the drastic
      cuts to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs in
      the 2014 Federal budget.
      The Coalition’s Intervention in this country is still
      traumatising communities. Therefore the budget cuts further
      compound the oppression and defeat any chance of
      Self-determination.
      If this is the Coalition’s intention we sincerely advise
      that the Coalition desists and takes a more Humanitarian
      approach to this country’s First Nations Peoples,
      consistent with International U.N Human Rights standards.
      We remind you that the wealth of this country comes from
      Aboriginal Land and Aboriginal Peoples hold the oldest
      cultures and languages in the world.
      We are appalled by the Coalition’s attempt to mainstream,
      that is assimilate, First Nations Peoples into the
      illegally occupied colonial society: ...
      The 2014 budget is another facet of genocide policy which
      creates conditions of life set to destroy the group in whole or
      in part, as well as compounding the mental harm to members
      of the group.
      [1948 Convention on the prevention and punishment of the crime of genocide].
      As a matter of urgency we encourage the Coalition to fund
      Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community controlled
      organisations for the long term. ... "

      * ANTaR:
      BUDGET RESPONSE 2014:
      TAKE ACTION!
      WRITE TO THE MINISTER FOR INDIGENOUS AFFAIRS

      - Action

      ANTaR: Budget Response 2014: Take Action! Write to the Minister for Indigenous Affairs
      https://antar.org.au/campaigns/budget-response-2014#node-campaign-full-group_takeaction
      "ANTaR was in Canberra for the delivery of the Federal
      Budget and joined Aboriginal peak bodies to voice our deep
      concern at the impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait
      Islander people. It was quite simply a shocking budget for
      Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people! $534 million
      will be cut from Indigenous affairs in an overhaul that
      sees 150 programs rationalised to five. ... But we know
      that addressing Indigenous disadvantage requires
      investment not cuts! ... That's why we're asking you to
      write to the Minister for Indigenous Affairs to ask him to
      rethink the budget measures that will harm Aboriginal and
      Torres Strait Islander people."

      * GERRY GEORGATOS, THE STRINGER:
      FEDERAL BUDGET HITS HARDEST THE MOST VULNERABLE

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Stringer: Federal Budget hits hardest the most vulnerable
      http://thestringer.com.au/federal-budget-hits-hardest-the-most-vulnerable/
      23 May 14: "State and Federal Budgets, one after another,
      are hitting hardest the most vulnerable, and particularly
      First Nations families. According to community leaders and
      social health organisations, more hardship, more
      homelessness will be induced if the measures in this latest
      Federal Budget are enabled. For too many the hardships and
      homelessness will become intolerable, giving ever more
      rise to the horrific suicides crisis sweeping many First
      Peoples communities. Recently, I met a homeless family
      living in tents on the outskirts of Perth, in the bush off
      a major highway. ... " By Gerry Georgatos,
      a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner,
      a multi-award winning investigative journalist

      * MICHAEL COGGAN, ABC NEWS:
      UNCERTAINTY AMONG ABORIGINAL PEOPLE ABOUT IMPACT OF FEDERAL BUDGET

      - Video

      ABC News: Uncertainty among Aboriginal people about impact of Federal budget
      http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-26/uncertainty-among-aboriginal-people-about-impact/5479416?section=nt
      26 May 14: "There's uncertainty among Aboriginal people
      living in remote and regional communities about the impact
      of welfare changes announced in the Federal budget. Plans
      to delay the payment of unemployment benefits to people
      under 30 years old have raised concern that people who
      struggle to access work and training will be left out of
      pocket. But the Federal Government says the changes will
      be introduced gradually in regional areas and a review of
      Indigenous jobs will make it easier for people to find
      work." Michael Coggan; Source: 7pm TV News NT

      * ROBERT CRAWFORD, SOUTH COAST REGISTER:
      BUDGET 2014:
      'WE RISK A NEW STOLEN GENERATION'

      - Analysis / Opinion

      South Coast Register: Budget 2014: 'We risk a new stolen generation'
      http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/story/2302712/budget-2014-we-risk-a-new-stolen-generation/
      23 May 14: "RESPECTED Aboriginal leader Gerry Moore fears
      cuts in the federal budget could lead to a "second stolen
      generation". Mr Moore said cuts to welfare and the
      Aboriginal Legal Service in the Abbott government’s budget
      could see Aboriginal children being taken away from their
      parents. "There has been $13 million stripped from the
      Aboriginal Legal Service in the budget and I fear that
      could have a huge effect on Aboriginal people gaining good
      representation," he said." Robert Crawford

      * BACKGROUND TO 'KEEPING THEM HOME':
      CAMPAIGN AGAINST FORCED ABORIGINAL ADOPTION IN THE NT

      Last updated: 28 May 2014

      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/07/03/background-to-keeping-them-home-campaign-against-forced-aboriginal-adoption-in-the-nt-aus

      * LIGHTING FIRES: LIAN MCNICHOLAS:
      INDIGENOUS EARLY LEARNING BUDGETS CUTS ARE CRUEL AND INEXPLICABLE

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Lighting Fires: Liam McNicholas:
      Indigenous early learning budgets cuts are cruel and inexplicable

      http://liammcnicholas.com/2014/05/24/indigenous-early-learning-budgets-cuts-are-cruel-and-inexplicable/
      24 May 14: "May is finishing up 2014 as the beginning of
      Reconciliation Week - a time to reflect on significant on
      significant political milestones for Indigenous Australians,
      as well as increasing support for the Recognise campaign to
      include First Australians in our constitution. This is
      ironic given that an earlier event in May, the handing down
      of the Federal Budget, saw widespread cuts to a number of
      programs, policies and agreements in Indigenous health,
      legal services and early childhood areas. Well, the
      Government would prefer we don’t use the term "cuts", but
      the far cuddlier "consolidations"."

      "I state clearly here that I do not and would not presume to
      speak for Indigenous people. I am a white, middle-class,
      Anglo-Saxon male and as such am representative of many of
      the past and continuing struggles that face the First
      Australians on this land that was, is and shall always be
      Aboriginal Land. For the perspectives of Indigenous people
      regarding these issues, I recommend visiting the websites
      of SNAICC http://www.snaicc.org.au/index.cfm
      and Reconciliation Australia. http://reconciliation.org.au/ "
      Liam McNicholas

      * CATE SWANNELL, MJA INSIGHT:
      BUDGET THREAT TO INDIGENOUS HEALTH

      - Analysis / Opinion

      MJA InSight: Budget threat to Indigenous health
      https://www.mja.com.au/insight/2014/18/budget-threat-indigenous-health
      26 May 14: "THE 2014 federal Budget has the potential to
      "decimate" quality primary health care for Indigenous
      Australians, says the president of the Australian Indigenous
      Doctors’ Association. Dr Tammy Kimpton, a GP practising in
      Scone, NSW, said she was "deeply disappointed but
      unsurprised" by the Budget, which included plans for a $7
      copayment on GP visits, pathology tests and imaging, as
      well as a $165 million cut to Indigenous health programs (1)
      "The current $7 copayment proposal has the potential to
      decimate good quality primary care for Indigenous Australians",
      Dr Kimpton told MJA InSight." Cate Swannell

      * MARIE MCINERNEY, CROAKEY:
      LATEST 'CLOSE THE GAP' UPDATE ON INDIGENOUS HEALTH
      UNDERLINES ALARM OVER #Budget2014 CUTS

      - News Analysis

      Croakey - the Crikey health blog:
      Latest 'close the gap' update on Indigenous health underlines alarm over #Budget2014 cuts

      http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2014/05/23/latest-close-the-gap-update-on-indigenous-health-underlines-alarm-over-budget2014-cuts/
      23 May 14: "The Close the Gap Campaign’s response to the
      COAG Reform Council’s latest report on Indigenous health
      sums up the terrible misdirection of the Federal
      Government’s 2014 Budget, which is inflicting pain in all
      the wrong places and puts at risk recent gains and its own
      priorities. "Mixed results on closing the gap confirms
      alarm over budget cuts" was the CTG Campaign’s verdict on
      the latest - and possibly last - independent update on the
      Close the Gap agenda." Marie McInerney

      * GREENS SENATOR RACHEL SIEWERT:
      BUDGET CUTS THREATEN FUTURE CLOSING THE GAP OUTCOMES

      - Media Release

      Greens Senator Rachel Siewert:
      Budget cuts threaten future Closing the Gap outcomes

      http://rachel-siewert.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/budget-cuts-threaten-future-closing-gap-outcomes
      23 May 14: "The Australian Greens said today that the COAG
      Reform Council's final report on the nation's Closing the
      Gap targets highlights the serious threat posed by the
      Abbott Government's budget cuts to Aboriginal and Torres
      Strait Islander programs.
      "Today's COAG Reform Council's report on the Closing the
      Gap agenda shows encouraging progress in areas such as
      child mortality, literacy and some progress in closing of
      the gap in life expectancy," Senator Rachel Siewert,
      Australian Greens spokesperson on Aboriginal and Torres
      Strait Islander issues said today.
      "It is encouraging that outcomes in a number of areas are
      improving, however employment remains a concern. The
      Council has noted the need to increase the rate at which
      the life expectancy gap is closing if we are to reach our
      target by 2030.
      "To continue and more importantly improve progress, we need
      long term funding and cooperation between the Commonwealth,
      states and territories, but the Government's budget has cut
      funding and has scaled up conflict with the states.
      "Tony Abbott has cast serious doubt across a range of
      Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs as a result
      of budget cuts, with over half a billion dollars being
      axed, including $165.8 million in health funding. ... "

      * GREENS SENATOR RACHEL SIEWERT:
      PMC JOB CUTS TO AFFECT ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER SERVICES

      - Media Release

      Greens Senator Rachel Siewert:
      PMC job cuts to affect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander services

      http://rachel-siewert.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/pmc-job-cuts-affect-aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-services
      27 May 14: "The Australian Greens said today that
      Indigenous Affairs staffing cuts within the Department of
      Prime Minister and Cabinet (PMC) will affect the service
      delivery and support provided to Aboriginal and Torres
      Strait Islander people.
      "In Senate Estimates this morning it was revealed that 30
      jobs in the Indigenous Affairs area of the Department of
      Prime Minister and Cabinet will be condensed into 20, a
      move that will have significant impacts," Senator Rachel
      Siewert, Australian Greens spokesperson on Aboriginal and
      Torres Strait Islander issues said today.
      "This is not red tape, this is cutting the jobs of people
      who have been supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait
      Islander people and programs.
      "This is another disappointing decision from the Prime
      Minister who proudly said he was the Minister for
      Aboriginal Affairs. Tony Abbott is overseeing cuts of more
      than half a billion dollars to services and support
      programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
      "These cuts will have an inevitable impact on the
      availability of services and this is an issue I will
      follow closely during the rest of this week's Senate
      Estimates hearing," Senator Siewert concluded."

      * WGAR NEWS:
      ABORIGINAL PEOPLES AND THE IMPACT OF THE 2014 FEDERAL BUDGET
      (20 MAY 14)

      - Compilation

      WGAR News: Aboriginal Peoples and the impact of the 2014 Federal Budget (20 May 14)
      http://indymedia.org.au/2014/05/19/wgar-news-aboriginal-peoples-and-the-impact-of-the-2014-federal-budget
      "Contents:
      * Amy McQuire, The Guardian: Cash for jails: Tony Abbott's budget for Indigenous Australia
      * Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: "Warren Mundine, show your face," Tauto Sansbury [Featuring Tauto Sansbury]
      * Let's Talk's Tiga Bayles interviews Chris Graham speaking about and breaking down the recently announced Australian Budget
      * Let's Talk's Tiga Bayles interviews Mary Graham & Monica Morgan about the upcoming Budget announcement
      * NACCHO: CONGRESS 2014 Budget Response: Concern over impact of the Budget on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
      * NACCHO: NACCHO Budget Response: Pressure on Indigenous health outcomes
      * Statement by SNAICC Chairperson, Sharron Williams: Budget cuts will hurt Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families
      * SNAICC Media Release: End the damaging stalemate NOW on funding for Aboriginal Children and Family Centres
      * Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT): ALS News: An update on our services
      * IAHA Media Release - Allied Health Flies Under Budget Radar
      * ANTaR: A shocking Budget for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people ...
      * Reconciliation Australia: 2014-15 Federal Budget Summary ... "

      * WGAR NEWS:
      THIS BUDGET COULD DEVASTATE INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIANS: MICK GOODA, ABC THE DRUM
      (22 MAY 14)

      - Compilation

      WGAR News: This budget could devastate Indigenous Australians: Mick Gooda, ABC The Drum (22 May 14)
      http://indymedia.org.au/2014/05/22/wgar-news-this-budget-could-devastate-indigenous-australians-mick-gooda-abc-the-drum
      "Contents:
      * Mick Gooda, ABC The Drum: This budget could devastate Indigenous Australians
      * Joint Press Release - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders call for scrapping of co-payments
      * Joline Samawi, The Wire: Aboriginal leaders upset over co-payments [Featuring Jill Gallagher and Justin Mohamed]
      * NIRS: Call to give Aboriginal Medical Centres a Co-payment break
      * NIRS: GP co-payment 'removes safety net to health' ...
      * SNAICC News: Where to now for Aboriginal Child and Family Centres?
      * CAAMA Radio: Congress Get Cuts [Featuring Congress Co-Chair Kirstie Parker] ...
      * Marnie Round, Radio Adelaide: Budget Cuts Won't Help Close The Gap [Featuring Dr Tom Calma] ... "

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
      * Aboriginal land rights and mining;
      * Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
      * Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.

      The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)