16900Fwd: [WGAR-news] Australia: Anzac Day - Undeclared Frontier Wars Remembrance March, Canberra, ACT

  • WGAR News
    Apr 20, 2014

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: WGAR News <wgar.news@...>
      Date: 20 April 2014 17:59
      Subject: [WGAR-news] Australia: Anzac Day - Undeclared Frontier Wars Remembrance March, Canberra, ACT

      Anzac Day
      - Undeclared Frontier Wars Remembrance March,
      Canberra, ACT

      Newsletter date: 21 April 2014

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2014/04/20/wgar-news-anzac-day-undeclared-frontier-wars-remembrance-march-canberra-act

      Contents:

      * Anzac Day - Undeclared Frontier Wars Remembrance March [Canberra, ACT]
      * Sarah Martin, The Wire: Henry Reynolds talks about Australia's Forgotten War
      * ABC RN Hindsight: Warriors in a forgotten war: Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheneer
      * Michael Green: Lest we remember

      * Alexandra Smith, SMH: Aboriginal history "crucial" for national curriculum, says schools submission
      * Dawn Casey, The Guardian: Warren Mundine, of course science needs an Indigenous perspective
      * Paul Daley, The Guardian: Is the national curriculum biased? Let's have a classroom debate

      * ANZAC DAY
      - UNDECLARED FRONTIER WARS REMEMBRANCE MARCH
      [CANBERRA, ACT]

      - Upcoming Events

      Event: Anzac Day 25 April 2014: Canberra, ACT
      Invitation to Undeclared Frontier Wars Remembrance March
      "First Nations and Peoples
      to bring banners identifying the place and time
      their people were massacred/murdered/poisoned
      and by whom"
      "Gather 10am Anzac Day 25 April 2014
      Corner Anzac Parade and Constitution Avenue, Canberra"
      "We also invite supporters to carry banners for those who
      are unable to be present. We emphasise that this is a
      silent parade in empathy with the solemnity of the day,
      wearing black."
      See videos from Anzac Day Marches 2011, 2012 & 2013:
      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/undeclared-frontier-wars-anzac-day-commemoration-videos
      http://www.sovereignunion.mobi/undeclared-frontier-wars
      Contact: Michael Anderson, Convenor,
      Sovereign Union of First Nations and Peoples in Australia
      "Our action is highlighting a fact. It is not a protest"
      Flyer: http://sovereignunion.mobi/pdf/2014/frontier-wars-2014.pdf
      Event details: http://indymedia.org.au/invitation-to-undeclared-frontier-wars-remembrance-march-anzac-day-canberra

      Event: Anzac Eve 24 April 2014: Mt Ainslie, Canberra, ACT
      Anzac Eve Peace Vigil 2014
      "It's becoming a Canberra tradition to gather for
      peace on Anzac Eve. As we walk, sing, share stories
      and make ceremony together we remember that
      almost everyone in Australia has a family story of
      trauma and loss through war, including all our
      Indigenous peoples
      . As we all participate in kindling
      the Peace Fire we help to re-member what has
      been dis-membered. Please note, we are using the
      Walgalu name Bialagee for the mountain that Canberra
      people also call Mt Ainslie. Bialagee means "gathering"
      and the mountain is known in local Aboriginal traditions
      as a women's place. You are welcome to join the
      Peace Vigil for any or all of its parts."
      Event details: http://anzacpeacevigil.org/
      See also: Canberra Peace Convergence 2014: http://www.peacebus.com/CanberraPeaceConverg/PeaceConvergence2014.html

      * SARAH MARTIN, THE WIRE:
      HENRY REYNOLDS TALKS ABOUT AUSTRALIA'S FORGOTTEN WAR

      - Audio

      The Wire: Henry Reynolds talks about Australia's Forgotten War
      Produced by Sarah Martin
      http://www.thewire.org.au/storyDetail.aspx?ID=11373
      26 Mar 14: "Henry Reynold has researched a mountain of
      evidence about Australia's frontier wars, which lasted for
      100 years after white people first set foot on land. His
      book The Forgotten War discusses the need to recognise the
      war that happened in Australia as we recognise all other
      wars fought in far away lands.
      Featured in story: Henry Reynolds, Author of The Forgotten War"

      * ABC RN HINDSIGHT:
      WARRIORS IN A FORGOTTEN WAR:
      TUNNERMINNERWAIT AND MAULBOYHENEER

      - Audio

      ABC RN Hindsight: Warriors in a forgotten war: Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheneer
      Presenter & Producer Lorena Allam; Interviewee Dr Clare Land; Sound Engineer Louis Mitchell.
      http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/hindsight/tunnerminnerwait-and-maulboyheneer/5303458
      16 Mar 14: "The colony of Port Phillip was just eight years
      old when it held its first execution. The first people
      hanged in 1842 were two Aboriginal men from Tasmania. How
      did they come to be on the mainland? The story of
      Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheneer is shocking, exciting,
      tragic and moving. Their tumultuous and short lives tell us
      so much about frontier conflict and the early colonial
      history of Tasmania and Victoria. ... They are remembered
      every year on the anniversary of their death by local
      Aboriginal people, and Melbourne Council has unanimously
      agreed to create a memorial to their lives."

      - Related Audio

      3CR Community Radio: Anarchist World 26.03.2014
      http://www.3cr.org.au/anarchistworld/podcast/anarchist-world-26032014
      26 Mar 14: "Who’s above the law?
      Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheener pledges – www.tunnermaul.com
      racist rant and much much more
      Joseph Toscano - Anarchist Media Institute"

      * MICHAEL GREEN:
      LEST WE REMEMBER

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Michael Green: Lest we remember
      http://www.michaelbgreen.com.au/lest-we-remember
      25 Feb 14: "The Australian War Memorial was first advised
      internally to acknowledge the frontier wars way back in
      1979. Our military historians accept that colonial conflict
      is part of our military history, but the Memorial still
      holds out. Why? NEAR the end of his new book, Forgotten
      War, Henry Reynolds makes a demand: the Australian War
      Memorial must commemorate the frontier wars. The book
      examines Australia’s violent colonial history, and reaches
      into some of our most challenging public debates - about
      land rights, sovereignty, and reconciliation." Michael Green

      * ALEXANDRA SMITH, SMH:
      ABORIGINAL HISTORY "CRUCIAL" FOR NATIONAL CURRICULUM,
      SAYS SCHOOLS SUBMISSION

      - Analysis / Opinion

      SMH: Aboriginal history "crucial" for national curriculum, says schools submission
      http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/aboriginal-history-crucial-for-national-curriculum-says-schools-submission-20140327-35lqw.html
      28 Mar 14: "NSW schools want Aboriginal history to remain a
      ''crucial feature'' of a national curriculum, putting them
      at odds with the federal Education Minister Christopher
      Pyne's push for a greater focus on Western civilisations.
      The state's school sectors including the Department of
      Education, the Association of Independent Schools and the
      Catholic Education Commission have lodged a highly critical
      submission to the national curriculum review. In their
      joint submission, ... the school sectors argue that studying
      Aboriginal history and culture is ''essential for the
      education of all Australian students''." Alexandra Smith,
      Education Editor at the Sydney Morning Herald

      * DAWN CASEY, THE GUARDIAN:
      WARREN MUNDINE,
      OF COURSE SCIENCE NEEDS AN INDIGENOUS PERSPECTIVE

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Guardian: Warren Mundine, of course science needs an Indigenous perspective
      http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/18/warren-mundine-indigenous-science-curriculum
      18 Mar 14: "To say that Indigenous culture should be kept
      out of maths and science teaching will only ensure that
      fewer children study it ... Last week, Warren Mundine, head
      of the prime minister’s Indigenous council, was quoted in
      the Australian as saying that it is ridiculous to include
      an Indigenous culture perspective in the teaching of
      science and maths. ... They [Mundine’s comments] ignore
      that culture permeates everything we do - including maths
      and physics - and reinforces stereotypical views that
      Indigenous culture is only about language, kinships systems
      and hunting and gathering - important as they are."
      Dawn Casey, a former director of the Powerhouse Museum,
      Western Australian Museum and National Museum of Australia;
      a former council member of the University of Western Australia,
      Charles Sturt Unversity and the University of Canberra;
      chair of Indigenous Business Australia and the
      Indigenous Land Corporation

      * PAUL DALEY, THE GUARDIAN:
      IS THE NATIONAL CURRICULUM BIASED?
      LET'S HAVE A CLASSROOM DEBATE

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Guardian: Is the national curriculum biased? Let's have a classroom debate
      http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/19/national-curriculum-christopher-pyne
      19 Mar 14: "The IPA claims that the history curriculum
      decries Australia’s economic growth - but while left and
      right argue, good teachers will always spot the dogma and
      seek to correct it ... While still shadow education
      minister Christopher Pyne let the cat out of the bag about
      what he’d like to see from a review of Australia’s national
      schools curriculum – especially regarding the teaching of
      history. He said he’d like to see more emphasis on Anzac
      Day ... and that he’d review parts of the curriculum that
      presented a "black armband" view of our history." Paul Daley,
      a Canberra-based author and award-winning journalist
      who writes about Australian history, culture and identity

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
      * Aboriginal land rights and mining;
      * Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
      * Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.

      The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)