16728Fwd: [WGAR-news] Gathering of Nations: Sovereign Union Communique of 24 November 2013

  • WGAR News
    Nov 25, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: WGAR News <wgar.news@...>
      Date: 26 November 2013 16:34
      Subject: [WGAR-news] Gathering of Nations: Sovereign Union Communique of 24 November 2013

      Gathering of Nations:
      Sovereign Union Communique of 24 November 2013

      Newsletter date: 26 November 2013

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/11/26/wgar-news-gathering-of-nations-sovereign-union-communique-of-24-november-2013

      Contents:

      * Sovereign Union: Sovereign Union Communique of 24 November 2013
      * Ghillar (Michael Anderson), Sovereign Union: Sovereign Union and Our Political Future
      * Callum Clayton-Dixon, Tracker: Sovereignty: not a radical concept
      * Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement

      * Michael Mansell, The Guardian: An Indigenous female prime minister? Fairer representation would be a start
      * Michael Mansell, Tasmanian Times: Mansell welcomes Bill Shorten's call for Aboriginal quotas - and suggests alternative idea
      * Nova Peris, The Stringer: Senator Nova Peris' maiden speech
      * Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Australia's Federal Parliaments still reflect a White Australia

      * SNAICC News: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Youth Human Rights and Advocacy Summit

      * Let's Talk's Tiga Bayles interviews Bill Gammage, author of 'The Biggest Estate on Earth', researcher of Aboriginal land management at the time of contact 1788
      * Henry Reynolds, Inside Story: Forgotten war

      * SOVEREIGN UNION:
      SOVEREIGN UNION COMMUNIQUE OF 24 NOVEMBER 2013

      - Communique

      Sovereign Union: Sovereign Union Communique of 24 November 2013
      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/pdf/2013/131125-SU%20Gathering%20Communique.pdf
      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/sovereign-union-moves-forward-3-nations-already-declared-their-independence
      24 Nov 13: "* Seventeen Nations were represented at the
      inaugural Gathering of Nations, held in the House of
      Representatives in Old Parliament House and at the
      Aboriginal Embassy, Canberra. Three of these Nations have
      already declared their continuing independence and
      pre-existing Statehood. They are the Murrawarri Republic;
      the Euahlayi Peoples Republic and the Republic of Mbarbaram,
      Atherton Tablelands, Queensland.
      * Pangarte Rosalie Kunoth-Monks of the Alyewarre Nation and
      Ghillar Michael Anderson, Head of State of the Euahlayi
      Nation, were chosen unanimously as joint head spokespersons
      for the Sovereign Union on behalf of the Nations present.
      * The Sovereign Union provides the umbrella organisation
      for Nations that have declared their independence, and
      assists other Nations in the process of becoming
      independent. ...
      * The Sovereign Union has initiated the establishment of a
      commission of inquiry into all massacres and killings of
      Aboriginal people. ... "

      * GHILLAR (MICHAEL ANDERSON), SOVEREIGN UNION:
      SOVEREIGN UNION AND OUR POLITICAL FUTURE

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Sovereign Union: Sovereign Union and Our Political Future
      The survival of our Mother Earth and our very right to exist is what we have to defend.

      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/pdf/2013/131115-SU-Our-Political-Future.pdf
      http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/sovereign-union-and-our-political-future-1
      17 Nov 13: "The Sovereign Union is an organisation that
      does not accept the right of the existing pseudo-government
      of Australia to rule over the rights of our Peoples. We
      have to understand that there are a number of International
      Court of Justice decisions that clearly state that
      Sovereignty remains with the People (Western Sahara Case
      and others). The international objectives of the Sovereign
      Union are to have our Peoples recognised as Sovereign
      Nationals belonging too our continuing Nation States under
      the international legal definition. By campaigning to have
      this recognised we, as First Nations Peoples, have the
      international right as independent Nations Peoples to
      assert our right of self-determination under international
      law. ... " Ghillar (Michael Anderson), Convenor,
      Sovereign Union of First Nations and Peoples in Australia

      * CALLUM CLAYTON-DIXON, TRACKER:
      SOVEREIGNTY:
      NOT A RADICAL CONCEPT

      - Analysis / Opinion

      newsTracker: Sovereignty: not a radical concept
      http://tracker.org.au/2013/11/sovereignty-not-a-radical-concept/
      19 Nov 13: "NATIONAL: Nganyaywana journalist Callum
      Clayton-Dixon spent a week with a Tuhoe family in New
      Zealand – a country where Indigenous sovereignty and treaty
      is not a concept on the margins of public debate. If you
      read everything you read in the newspapers, you may have
      thought the current push for constitutional reform,
      encapsulated in the "Recognise" movement, is at the
      forefront of black activism. And while it does have support
      in some sections of the community, if you speak to legends
      of Aboriginal protest, you’d get a vastly different view."
      Callum Clayton-Dixon is an up and coming Nganyaywana journalist
      and editor of Aboriginal rights-based publication Brisbane Blacks

      See:

      Background to Constitutional Recognition of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Peoples
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/08/11/background-to-constitutional-recognition-of-aboriginal-torres-strait-islander-peoples
      (Last updated: 12 November 2013)

      Brisbane Blacks Monthly - bringing the fight to you
      http://brisbaneblacksmonthly.weebly.com/

      * BACKGROUND TO THE ABORIGINAL SOVEREIGNTY MOVEMENT:

      Last updated: 20 November 2013

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/22/background-to-the-aboriginal-sovereignty-movement-and-the-aboriginal-tent-embassies

      * MICHAEL MANSELL, THE GUARDIAN:
      AN INDIGENOUS FEMALE PRIME MINISTER?
      FAIRER REPRESENTATION WOULD BE A START

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Guardian:
      An Indigenous female prime minister? Fairer representation would be a start

      http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/13/an-indigenous-female-prime-minister-fairer-representation-would-be-a-first-step
      13 Nov 13: "If a female Aboriginal leader became head of
      Australia, no doubt there would be widespread celebrations.
      But let's concentrate on the immediate tasks that deserve
      attention ... The statement by prime minister Tony Abbott
      about an Aboriginal woman one day becoming prime minister
      is welcome, because it shows that Australia can no longer
      turn a blind eye to the lack of Aboriginal representation
      - a point taken by opposition leader Bill Shorten, who
      suggested quotas might be the answer." Michael Mansell,
      an Aboriginal lawyer from Tasmania, a founding member and
      secretary of the Aboriginal Provisional Government

      See:

      Aboriginal Provisional Government
      http://www.apg.org.au/

      * MICHAEL MANSELL, TASMANIAN TIMES:
      MANSELL WELCOMES BILL SHORTEN'S CALL FOR ABORIGINAL QUOTAS
      - AND SUGGESTS ALTERNATIVE IDEA

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Tasmanian Times:
      Mansell welcomes Bill Shorten’s call for Aboriginal quotas
      - and suggests alternative idea

      http://tasmaniantimes.com/index.php?/weblog/article/Mansell-welcomes-Bill-Shortens-call-for-Aboriginal-quotas-/
      27 Sep 13: "Michael Mansell said it was pleasing to see ALP
      leadership candidate Bill Shorten call for quotas as part
      of a drive by the ALP to give Aboriginal people better
      access to power. However, Mr Mansell said "Mr Shorten’s
      suggestion might not achieve the desired result and MR
      Shorten should consider designated Aboriginal seats (as in
      NZ) or establishing an Aboriginal Assembly". "Quotas do not
      guarantee selection in safe seats, and does not adequately
      deal with Aboriginal representation as distinct from
      representing a political party", he said."
      Michael Mansell Aboriginal Community Council MR

      * NOVA PERIS, THE STRINGER:
      SENATOR NOVA PERIS' MAIDEN SPEECH

      - Speech

      The Stringer: Senator Nova Peris' maiden speech
      http://thestringer.com.au/senator-nova-peris-maiden-speech/
      16 Nov 13: "Thank you, Mr President. I acknowledge the
      traditional owners, the Ngambri and the Ngunnawal people
      on whose country we meet today. I pay my respects to my
      elders, past and present. and to our future leaders.
      I am Nova Maree Peris. I was born in Darwin in the
      Northern Territory and I retain my strong cultural and
      spiritual ties to my country, to Mother Earth. I am a
      member of the oldest continuous living culture on the earth.
      I am proud that this hill that we meet on here today is
      culturally significant to the Ngambri people as
      representing the womb of the ‘Woman’ on this Country. ... "
      By Nova Peris

      See:

      Background to NT Aboriginal candidates in the 2013 Australian Federal elections
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/09/01/background-to-nt-aboriginal-candidates-in-the-2013-australian-federal-elections
      (Last updated: 29 September 2013)

      * GERRY GEORGATOS, THE STRINGER:
      AUSTRALIA'S FEDERAL PARLIAMENTS STILL REFLECT A WHITE AUSTRALIA

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Stringer:
      Australia's Federal Parliaments still reflect a White Australia

      http://thestringer.com.au/australias-federal-parliaments-still-reflect-a-white-australia/
      14 Nov 13: "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
      have had negligible representation in our Federal Parliaments
      – with only Neville Bonner, Aden Ridgeway, Ken Wyatt and Nova
      Peris achieving a parliamentary seat. Yet, at this time
      671,000 Australians identify with Aboriginal and Torres
      Strait Islander heritage. ... One aspirant political party
      that got it as close to right was The WikiLeaks Party. Of
      their seven Australian Senate candidates in the 2013 Federal
      election, three were born overseas, two were of Indian
      heritage, one of Greek heritage, and three were women."
      By Gerry Georgatos,
      a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner,
      a multi-award winning investigative journalist

      * SNAICC NEWS:
      ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER PEOPLES
      YOUTH HUMAN RIGHTS AND ADVOCACY SUMMIT

      - News

      SNAICC News:
      Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Youth Human Rights and Advocacy Summit

      [SNAICC: Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care]
      http://www.snaicc.org.au/news-events/fx-view-article.cfm?loadref=32&id=1255
      "Are you a young Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person aged 18-25?
      Are you passionate about positive change in your communities?
      Are you passionate about the rights of your mob?
      Do you want to know more about human rights and why it's important to you?
      The Diplomacy Training Program (DTP) and Oxfam Australia
      will be holding an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
      Peoples Youth Human Rights and Advocacy Summit in Sydney
      from 10-14 February 2014. ... If your application is
      successful, the program will cover all travel,
      accommodation and food costs.
      Applications close Friday 6 December 2013."

      * LET'S TALK'S TIGA BAYLES INTERVIEWS BILL GAMMAGE,
      AUTHOR OF 'THE BIGGEST ESTATE ON EARTH',
      RESEARCHER OF ABORIGINAL LAND MANAGEMENT AT THE TIME OF CONTACT 1788

      - Audio Interview

      Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane:
      Let's Talk - Adjunct Professor Bill Gammage

      http://www.989fm.com.au/category/podcasts/lets-talk/
      Nov 13: "Bill Gammage is the Author of
      "The Biggest Estate on Earth" and is an
      adjunct professor in the Humanities Research Centre
      at the Australian National University (ANU),
      researching Aboriginal land management at the time of contact
      ("1788")."
      Listen to this interview on-line:
      http://www.989fm.com.au/podcasts/lets-talk/adjunct-professor-bill-gammage-2/

      * HENRY REYNOLDS, INSIDE STORY:
      FORGOTTEN WAR

      - Edited Book Extract

      Inside Story: Forgotten war
      http://inside.org.au/forgotten-war/
      25 Jul 13: "The looming centenary of the landing at
      Gallipoli is a reminder of unfinished business between
      settler and Indigenous Australia after a decade of
      incomplete reconciliation, writes Henry Reynolds in this
      extract from his new book. ... As we advance further into
      the twenty-first century, the relative importance of our
      involvement in the two world wars and the following cold
      war will diminish as they lose their pre-eminent place in
      global history. The central story in the new century will
      increasingly be seen to have been the linked histories of
      imperialism and decolonisation, which were preparing the
      way for the great shifts in power and wealth currently
      underway. And in that story the relationship between
      European settlers and Indigenous Australians will become
      increasingly important. ... " Henry Reynolds,
      a professorial fellow at the University of Tasmania

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
      * Aboriginal land rights and mining;
      * Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
      * Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.

      The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      WGAR events postings:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)