Re: Buck driving me crazy with his color

  • Janet Gruber
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 4, 2007
      Why couldn't a rabbit have ee and cchl?

      Janet

      --- In rabbit_genetics_Quickpost@yahoogroups.com, "Brian and Karin

      rabbit_genetics_Quickpost@yahoogroups.com, "homesforallpets"
      > <homesforallpets@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a buck who was given to me and I was told he is a Tort.
      She
      > > was not sure if black or chocolate. I looked at him (then about
      3
      > > months old) and he looked chocolate tort to me. About 2 weeks
      ago
      > > noticed the buck in the other half of the two hole hutch had
      > barbered
      > > his hhead, cutting the fur almost to the skin. roughly 5 days
      ago
      > > noticed it was growing back oddly. It had rings of black,
      > chocolate
      > > and a color I can only describe as caramel. Now however there
      are
      > no
      > > rings and 3 colors on his face and they do not really mingle at
      all
      > > they are very defined. His nose is solid chocolate, then the
      > whisker
      > > area down to the jaw is black and it goes back to chocolate
      with
      > > spots of the caramel color near his eyes on his forehead and on
      his
      > > cheeks. His body is fawn colored. His ears are odd too now, the
      > > edges are chocolate about 1/2 and inch in on the back then
      there is
      > > thin outline of black the rest is the caramel color, but at the
      > base
      > > of the ears and the back of his head is fawn like the body.
      > >
      > > Here are his parents:
      > >
      > > dad: Black
      > > gs: Chocolate Agouti
      > > gd: copper
      > > ggs: chocolate
      > > ggd: chocolate agouti
      > >
      > > Mom: Pointed White
      > > the rest of her info is blank.
      > >
      > > One more bit to add in: I bred him to a chocolate Havana to try
      > > prove he is chocolate tort, and they DID have 3 chocolate kits,
      BUT
      > 1
      > > is BLACK!
      > > ??How did that happen?? What does it mean as to his color???
      > >
      > > I am totally lost.
      > >
      > > Kathy in MO

      12/3/2007 12:20 PM

    • Brian and Karin Vail
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 8, 2007
        yes, you could start a himi line with him if he for SURE carries himi (if the himi parent carried REW as well as himi, then it's a 50/50 chance he carries himi/REW- you won't know until you breed him) - although the best himi's aren't ''torted'' - the ee genes try to strip out the black pigment - so a himi with 'tort' genes is paler, often mistaken for chocolate himi.

        Karin